Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:45 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Funny thing about this. I am a black Caribbean person. Caribbean accent, mannerisms and culture which instantly mark me as a Caribbean person to most New Yorkers.

Yet many also see me as an "American", because I have integrated into this country by working, voting, being able to discuss issues about this country, etc. I speak of NYC, and this is true for most major cities on the Coasts. Cannot talk about the interior.

This is why the USA gets the highly educated immigrant, and France gets less of it.

One cannot have a heritage of colonialism, invade other societies, and disrupt their lives, exalt the virtues of France, and then demand that France must remain culturally monolithic when these ex colonials show up.

The UK went through their stage, and reluctantly accepted that the old definition of "Britishness" is all but gone. Not that they don't have their issues, but seriously France needs to take a look at them. Yes they still have some work to do with the immigrant generation, but they have made significant progress in accepting the UK born descendants.

As to asking where some one is from, what's wrong with that? When asked I PROUDLY say where I am from. That is different than being told that generations of life in a society must mean that one will never be accepted as being part of that society.
Good for you that you integrated well, applause. But France isn't America and Paris isn't NYC. Different standards as who would pass as a Frenchy and a Parisian and who not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:54 AM

134 posts, read 162,283 times
Quote:
Funny thing about this. I am a black Caribbean person. Caribbean accent, mannerisms and culture which instantly mark me as a Caribbean person to most New Yorkers.

Yet many also see me as an "American", because I have integrated into this country by working, voting, being able to discuss issues about this country, etc. I speak of NYC, and this is true for most major cities on the Coasts. Cannot talk about the interior.

This is why the USA gets the highly educated immigrant, and France gets less of it.

One cannot have a heritage of colonialism, invade other societies, and disrupt their lives, exalt the virtues of France, and then demand that France must remain culturally monolithic when these ex colonials show up.

The UK went through their stage, and reluctantly accepted that the old definition of "Britishness" is all but gone. Not that they don't have their issues, but seriously France needs to take a look at them. Yes they still have some work to do with the immigrant generation, but they have made significant progress in accepting the UK born descendants.

As to asking where some one is from, what's wrong with that? When asked I PROUDLY say where I am from. That is different than being told that generations of life in a society must mean that one will never be accepted as being part of that society.
The more I read Seixal, the more I realize he is a misinformed bigoted.

In America YOU CAN BE american... I know many people who migrated 20 years ago to the US that today are full blooded Americans working, buying their homes, raising their children etc.

And they are not WASP! in fact they would minorities in the US

Old 11-16-2015, 12:01 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,518 times
Quote:
Hum no, France get less highly educated immigrants because it closed its borders to working immigration decades ago.
So a larger share of the immigration is family reunion or refugees but fewer people who come from work.

Anyway France get a lot of foreigners students.

Please don't reduce the integration of immigrants and minorities to a small group of people.
The ghettos do not represent the life of the majority of ethnic minorities in France.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:04 PM

749 posts, read 855,933 times
Quote:

France has a highly educated society and therefore might need less to attract that kind of people than the USA. The US too receives mostly unskilled workers, the vast majority of unskilled jobs in the US are held by low-skilled Mexicans or Central Americans. The government only grants 90,000 H1B visas a year for skilled people, which isn't a lot.

Descendants of immigrants in France are not discriminate against, they have the same rights as everybody else. Now to be considered as Ethnically French that's a whole different story. In the US it's the same things hence the invention of the hyphened Americans.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:29 PM

324 posts, read 467,497 times
There are disenfranchised minority communities in a lot of countries. The US has millions from Latin America, but when was the last time one of them committed an act of international terrorism? How many have blown themselves up with suicide vests? How many have gone to fight in Syria?

Old 11-16-2015, 12:48 PM

749 posts, read 855,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
There are disenfranchised minority communities in a lot of countries. The US has millions from Latin America, but when was the last time one of them committed an act of international terrorism? How many have blown themselves up with suicide vests? How many have gone to fight in Syria?
Latinos living in the US do not commit Islamic terrorist acts because they do not belong to that faith. However the Latin American communities in the US also have their own problems, such as all the gang related violence, sometimes extreme. Nonetheless let's not forget that most Latinos have nothing to do with any of it, just like Muslims in France or in other European countries.

Last edited by seixal; 11-16-2015 at 12:58 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 12:56 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Quote:
So unless they become celebrities, they cannot be French?
He obviously chose celebrities as examples because, well, they're famous. He could have claimed that a certain Hamidine Djoutsop feels French too, but we would have to take his word for it.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:01 PM

324 posts, read 467,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Latinos living in the US do not commit Islamic terrorist acts because they do not belong to that faith. However the Latin American communities in the US also have their own problems, such as all the gang related violence, sometimes extreme. Nonetheless let's not forget that most Latinos have nothing to do with any of it, just like Muslims in France or in other European countries.
Yes of course. Drug and gang violence is a completely different animal though.. Drug violence tends to be dangerous to people involved in the drug trade. What I'm trying to say is Islam is the driving force beinhd Islamic terror and that is a much bigger danger to innocent bystanders. Blaming poverty for Islamic terrorism ignores the elephant in the room.

Last edited by r_u_a_wizard; 11-16-2015 at 01:10 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 01:48 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
He obviously chose celebrities as examples because, well, they're famous. He could have claimed that a certain Hamidine Djoutsop feels French too, but we would have to take his word for it.
Yes. I actually had my friend with a name like Mehdy Benjelloun in the Marseille area in mind, but I figured more people would have heard of Zidane than some random guy just living his life quietly...

Last edited by Acajack; 11-16-2015 at 02:08 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 04:50 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
BINGO

This is the winning statement

You cannot bring millions of workers into your country and expect them to be subservient, and be ok with second class citizen status, and expect their descendants to just take it!

Integration is a two way street

If the French don't want ghettos, segregation (which they apparently don't) then they need to start being more fair to their minorities!
True although this is not a uniquely French problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe