Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:46 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
I agree

Dressing fashionably is a very cultural thing which northern European cultures don't really share.

While British wear adidas shoes and tracking suits, Milano guys are busy putting gel on their hair and pressing their suit!

it's a cultural thing.

That doesn't mean every single person in Italy dress like a fashion model or every single British person dresses informal, but generally many do respectively, in Italy culturally people care a lot about fashion unlike the UK, America.

Israel, Argentina and Japan are also extremely fashion conscious cultures. If you walk around Tel Aviv or Buenos Aires you see all these girls that look like they are going to a fashion show!

While in less fashion centric places like America most girls are wearing a gap sweater, a pony tail and running shoes.
I'm sorry this is just stereotypical nonsense, everybody knows that the French wear stripey blue and white jumpers and wear beret's hardly cutting edge fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 06:08 AM

504 posts, read 465,641 times
Yes, it's true the Italians are very elegant. I remember going out on a boat trip run by a family. Dad was driving (do you "drive" a boat?), and young teenage son was at the gangplank helping and welcoming people aboard, in a crazily smart suit (and sunglasses, natch). He stayed on land, and when we returned 3 hours later he was waiting on the quay in a COMPLETELY different suit . That said, I've met some incredibly scruffy Italians in London (and am friends with a lovely, but very scruffy guy from Buenos Aires).

Doesn't change though. They all look the same, and the same as they did 10 years ago. Same style, same haircut.

Yes - lots of Brits are sloppy, but Britain has fantastic street fashion. It's bound in with music culture, and never stops changing - particularly in London. I find it far sexier than the predictable "style" countries.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm sorry this is just stereotypical nonsense, everybody knows that the French wear stripey blue and white jumpers and wear beret's hardly cutting edge fashion.
And aren't a lot of them wearing mime makeup? That's hardly attractive - and is in fact pretty irritating.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:19 AM

504 posts, read 465,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And aren't a lot of them wearing mime makeup? That's hardly attractive - and is in fact pretty irritating.
It's hard to tell. I can never get close enough for the smell of garlic.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:42 AM

13 posts, read 27,573 times
Talking about stereotypes,i don't understand if italians are considered vulgar or sophisticated?Seems that stereotyping they're considered both.What do you think?

Old 11-24-2015, 11:11 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krein View Post
Talking about stereotypes,i don't understand if italians are considered vulgar or sophisticated?Seems that stereotyping they're considered both.What do you think?
How many societies have you seen in the world where everyone's the same? It's a bit of both, and more. There are class differences, regional differences, etc.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:12 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I thought the French tend to isolate themselves from others by walking on high wires 20 floors above the pedestrian hustle-bustle. Don't they? The ultimate snobbism, no?

Old 11-24-2015, 04:38 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krein View Post
But can we say that in general french and intalians are stylish and that the most fashionable/stylish in france and italy are inhabitants of paris and milan?Or people are equally elegant in every city of italy/france?
There isn't much difference, the well off neighbbourhoods (Chiaia, Vomero and Mergellina) of Naples is where i have seen the most elegant dressing styles. There are several independant boutiques there and while they may not be large brands their works are fantastic

Old 11-26-2015, 11:24 PM

671 posts, read 854,561 times
I am from NYC and worked briefly in Paris. The work dress in Paris was much more casual and I sometimes felt overdressed. I have never been to Italy but I get the impression that fashion is pretty serious there. This is from Italians that I have met in Manhattan.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:12 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
I am from NYC and worked briefly in Paris. The work dress in Paris was much more casual and I sometimes felt overdressed. I have never been to Italy but I get the impression that fashion is pretty serious there. This is from Italians that I have met in Manhattan.
Italians? Or just Americans calling themselves 'Italian'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe