Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 02:41 PM

13 posts, read 27,573 times

Advertisements

There is a logic saying that in these cities the average is really stylish and elegant because the fashion houses or the fashion designers are here.Or it's only a stereotype?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 02:51 PM

134 posts, read 162,377 times
No way, it's a real stereotype except for Milan where people care a lot about fashion.

I have been to the four cities and the average person on the street if anything is mediocrely dressed. (once again except for Milan)

The cities where I've seen the most fashion conscious people have been in:

-Milan (Italy) on your list.
-Tel Aviv (Israel) where people cannot go out without their designer cloths.
-Tokyo (Japan) the japanese are very fashion oriented.
-Buenos Aires (Argentina) The argentines are very classist and depending on the way you dress gets you treated accordingly.

Paris has plenty of people in puma and adidas outfits, you ride the Paris metro and people are anything but chic and elegant. It used to be elegant, but Paris is declining in just about every imaginable aspect! A shadow of what it used to be!

NYC has plenty of business suits and as soon as you get out of manhattan it turns into average American cloths (sweatpants and converse or nike's, horrible baseball caps everywhere, with massive sport shirts, pants hanging low, not fashionable at all)

London isn't exactly fashionable either, in fact the british suffer from an overweight epidemic so a lot of the people you'll find are overweight. Honestly most brits are rather sloppy dressers, I have never seen so many overweight girls partying on the weekend with tiny cocktail dresses and high heels, like an elephant balancing on two sticks (obviously it doesn't look good) and then because of the cold weather, some of these ladies' thighs turn bluish or pinkish.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:54 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,192,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
No way, it's a real stereotype except for Milan where people care a lot about fashion.

I have been to the four cities and the average person on the street if anything is mediocrely dressed. (once again except for Milan)

The cities where I've seen the most fashion conscious people have been in:

-Milan (Italy) on your list.
-Tel Aviv (Israel) where people cannot go out without their designer cloths.
-Tokyo (Japan) the japanese are very fashion oriented.
-Buenos Aires (Argentina) The argentines are very classist and depending on the way you dress gets you treated accordingly.

Paris has plenty of people in puma and adidas outfits, you ride the Paris metro and people are anything but chic and elegant.

NYC has plenty of business suits and as soon as you get out of manhattan it turns into average American cloths (sweatpants and converse or nike's, horrible baseball caps everywhere, with massive sport shirts, pants hanging low, not fashionable at all)

London isn't exactly fashionable either, in fact the british aren't very chic looking. Most are rather sloppy dressers, I have never seen so many overweight girls partying on the weekend with tiny cocktail dresses and high heels, like an elephant balancing on two sticks (obviously it doesn't look good)
sooooooo... in Milan, people care about fashion but everywhere else people are dressed in drags?
you talk about stereotypes and you answer with one yourself?
and in the end wtf?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
sooooooo... in Milan, people care about fashion but everywhere else people are dressed in drags?
Generally so, Milano people are very fashion oriented. Not NYC, London or Paris though.

I am not stereotyping, it's a reality that many people who have been to these cities can easily observe.

I named cities where I felt sloppy because everyone dresses well.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:18 PM

Another question:when someone talk about fashion in milan or in paris,they also say italian/french fashion.But is particularly in milan and paris that people are elegant or everywhere in italy and france?For example i wouldn't think that in southern italy or in rome people are very stylish,i would say only in milan,same thing for paris-france.And that when one talks about italian/french fashion he is only talking about fashion in milan or paris.Am i right or all italians/all french are generally fashionable?

Old 11-23-2015, 03:29 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krein View Post
Another question:when someone talk about fashion in milan or in paris,they also say italian/french fashion.But is particularly in milan and paris that people are elegant or everywhere in italy and france?For example i wouldn't think that in southern italy or in rome people are very stylish,i would say only in milan,same thing for paris-france.And that when one talks about italian/french fashion he is only talking about fashion in milan or paris.Am i right or all italians/all french are generally fashionable?
For the most part French/Italians do have sense of style - they are born with it.
Do ALL French and Italians have sense of style? Of course not, but most do. And you will see well-dressed people both in small and big cities alike.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I agree

Dressing fashionably is a very cultural thing which northern European cultures don't really share.

While British wear adidas shoes and tracking suits, Milano guys are busy putting gel on their hair and pressing their suit!

it's a cultural thing.

That doesn't mean every single person in Italy dress like a fashion model or every single British person dresses informal, but generally many do respectively, in Italy culturally people care a lot about fashion unlike the UK, America.

Israel, Argentina and Japan are also extremely fashion conscious cultures. If you walk around Tel Aviv or Buenos Aires you see all these girls that look like they are going to a fashion show!

While in less fashion centric places like America most girls are wearing a gap sweater, a pony tail and running shoes.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:01 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
There is a logic saying that in these cities the average is really stylish and elegant because the fashion houses or the fashion designers are here.Or it's only a stereotype?
I think this is a stereotype. I spoke with someone a few years ago who had been to Paris not long before, and he said the young people were wearing American-style outdoor activewear, like Eddie Bauer hiking shorts, and that sort of thing. So much depends on age, class, employment status, etc., I don't think it's possible to generalize, OP.

Like in the US: if you go into a city's financial district, you'll see nearly everyone wearing fashionable suits. If you go into areas dominated by the tech industry, you'll see most people dressed in office-casual style. If you go into university neighborhoods, you'll see most people dressed in jeans or shorts. A visitor who only saw San Francisco's downtown & FiDi, or Washington DC's core area, would conclude that Americans dress fashionably. The young Italian and French students and young people I've seen around Europe don't dress any differently than American students in Europe.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-23-2015 at 05:10 PM..

Old 11-23-2015, 04:05 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times
It's true that Italian give more importance to dressing style than anyone else, but Southerners more than Northerners. Most of the people are dressed casually up north where for example hip hop culture and dressing style is becoming more prevalent and so are generic brands.

I think we give way more attention about how we look here down South

Quote:
In Italy, at the very least, it isn't a big city phenomenon, you find style everywhere, i actualy think that there's more traditional dressing sense in areas of the South than up North. Milan is usually singled because it hosts the fashion week but Italian designers come from all over the country

Old 11-24-2015, 05:34 AM

But can we say that in general french and intalians are stylish and that the most fashionable/stylish in france and italy are inhabitants of paris and milan?Or people are equally elegant in every city of italy/france?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe