Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 12:16 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Europe is fecked.....they invited the fox into the henhouse.
I'm interested to see how the Canadian experiment turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 12:44 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
The problem is that this is degenerating into a fight between white fascists and Islamofascists, both of whom are guttersnipes. Nobody is left to defend true European values.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:46 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, are investigations to the incident on-going? What are the reports so far? The initial reports said that the people the police arrested were not migrants, they were legal immigrants. Has any more information become available?

The police should be monitoring vigilante groups (like those "unofficial" cops you described), because there is potential criminal activity there. That is a dangerous situation. Imagine, this will give neo-Nazis justification to pursue a violent solution to the problem.
Of course they are. The police of Cologne has been scrutinised for not taking enough vigilant action in either dealing with these congregations and not telling the media in a normal fashion. The suspects who have been caught includes both previous immigrants and refugees.

The police, at least up here monitor The Finnish Resistance Movement and Soldiers of Odin, as many, even most members, have a criminal background. Especially the SVR has large contacts not only with the Nordic subsidiaries, but also with German neo-nazi groups, Fiamma Tricolore of Italy and Golden Dawn in Greece.

The police has stressed that the vigilante groups have no special authority, they are not allowed to use any weapons, any excessive use of force, and the rule of order is only in the hands of the police departments.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Of course they are. The police of Cologne has been scrutinised for not taking enough vigilant action in either dealing with these congregations and not telling the media in a normal fashion. The suspects who have been caught includes both previous immigrants and refugees.

The police, at least up here monitor The Finnish Resistance Movement and Soldiers of Odin, as many, even most members, have a criminal background. Especially the SVR has large contacts not only with the Nordic subsidiaries, but also with German neo-nazi groups, Fiamma Tricolore of Italy and Golden Dawn in Greece.

The police has stressed that the vigilante groups have no special authority, they are not allowed to use any weapons, any excessive use of force, and the rule of order is only in the hands of the police departments.
How refreshing. As you probably know, the police in Russia don't really care in the case of African and South Asian students. Neo-Nazis post freely on youtube, encouraging others to take up casual violence.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:08 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
How refreshing. As you probably know, the police in Russia don't really care in the case of African and South Asian students. Neo-Nazis post freely on youtube, encouraging others to take up casual violence.
Well, Finland isn't Russia. The police and military here is strictly apolitical, and military men are forbidden to engage in any political activities, though individuals are eligibe to vote. Therefore there is not a culture of taking sides, and the police will hit hard on both extreme right and left wing activities. Maybe it's partly due to our violent history and at the same time without the historical burden, the police and military force is very vigilant, much like the British and French are, and not apologetical like the Swedes and Germans. The Finnish Security Intelligence Service has labeled the right-wing groups as the biggest threat to national security after international terrorism. This might change though, as the far left is stronger in strength than the right.

As I am living in an Southern Finnish academic urban bubble I can't say what the sentiment is in Northern Finland is for example. (Yes, I can as I have studied the extremist movements in Finland troughout history), but have little first-hand knowledge. Shame to admit, but many aren't not very talkative. But I have a firm belief that the extremists have a very minnow fraction among the populace, they are weak in influence. They are growing though. I have warned about this for several years that both the extreme right and left are gaining influence, they are on a rise. 10 years ago they had a few dozens of violent militants, now they have hundreds. In a few years they might be thousands, as we've seen in Sweden and Denmark.
This rivals the Russian, Former Yugoslav and Estonian Mafias in Scandinavia, The Hells Angels and other biker groups. If these groups become more organised with a large support, they might become not only a nuisance, but if they engage activly in organised crime, they can become a real threat. Not that it is very likely though, as the Russian and Estonian mafias are normally very low-key due to the vigilant police force which pretty much forces them to be subtle underground. Though the mafias are absolutely ruthless regarding any competition, and will take any course necessary, they can enlist some of thes vigilantes as allies. Combatting these groups are considered a suicide up here, only possible by pan-Nordic biker gangs.

While the members of the Soldiers of Odin might have a minnow history of crime, when they put their criminal minds together, they can get stupid ideas. Drug trade and smuggling are easy methods to get additional funds and support their organisation. And this is a big incentive too. A small chapter of SOO may think that allying with OC may create additional funds, as the majority of members aren't foreign of criminal activity.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:58 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Quote:
I'm interested to see how the Canadian experiment turns out.
Canada did not allow single men, only families, single women, and children. A preference was given for the disabled and LBGT. In the USA refugees are sponsored by families and are given resources to adjust to culture shock. By contrast Europe's migrants were mostly unfiltered (anyone came in who tried) and a significant percent were single men. Last I checked young / lonely / unemployed men tend to cause most problems in society no matter what race or religion.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Canada did not allow single men, only families, single women, and children. A preference was given for the disabled and LBGT. In the USA refugees are sponsored by families and are given resources to adjust to culture shock. By contrast Europe's migrants were mostly unfiltered (anyone came in who tried) and a significant percent were single men. Last I checked young / lonely / unemployed men tend to cause most problems in society no matter what race or religion.
Thank you! This is the kind of analysis I was looking for on the last thread on this topic. I asked why there was such a difference between how Islamic immigrants fare in the US compared to Europe, and didn't get much of an answer. My guess was that for one thing, in the US they can get jobs. Relatively menial ones, but still--jobs, a way to pay bills and be self-sufficient. Also, in Europe they seem to become warehoused in huge apartment blocks in marginal neighborhoods, which isn't the case in the US.

Great post!

Old 01-10-2016, 08:35 PM

919 posts, read 840,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Police should lock them all up.
BERLIN — The mayor of Cologne has inflamed a debate in Germany about migrants and sexual harassment by suggesting that women can protect themselves from men on the streets by keeping them more than an arm’s length away.
Read: Cologne Mayor’s ‘Arm’s Length’ Advice on Sexual Attacks Stirs Outcry

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-13-2016 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 01-10-2016, 08:50 PM

It would be nice if someone could post some "new" news about the incident, something about the results of the investigations so far, any new arrests beyond the initial 5, that sort of thing. And they were looking into whether the Cologne incident was connected to the ones in the other two cities.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:08 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
That's not true. The U.S. admits a set number of refugees every year. Unless, by "sponsoring", you mean they assign a family/person to each refugee that helps them adjust. That's also not the case. That may be true in a few cases, but there are plenty of refugee shelters where they house them once they arrive until they are able to settle down.

Quote:
Thank you! This is the kind of analysis I was looking for on the last thread on this topic. I asked why there was such a difference between how Islamic immigrants fare in the US compared to Europe, and didn't get much of an answer. My guess was that for one thing, in the US they can get jobs. Relatively menial ones, but still--jobs, a way to pay bills and be self-sufficient. Also, in Europe they seem to become warehoused in huge apartment blocks in marginal neighborhoods, which isn't the case in the US.

Great post!

No. That's what they have to do now. There's simply not enough space immediately available.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-13-2016 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Orphaned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe