Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:55 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
I was thinking the same thing. LOL

You got to this silly post before I did

The election of Sadiq Khan as the first muslim mayor of major European city says a lot about Britain (He won by a fair margin as well). I said it before and will say it again, Britain is miles ahead of other European countries when it comes to race and religion.

In neighbouring Bristol the first black mayor of a major European city was also elected..

Back to the topic, Britain and France have large minority populations. I think nordic countries may do also, but they dont collect stats under the guise of not labelling people, but in truth it is because all evidence suggests they do pretty badly there. Not having stats makes it easier to pretend everything is fine imo..

Germany has a large foreign population but is is mostly European or Turkish in origin...
No, London isn't the first major European city to elect a Muslim mayor. Look at Rotterdam who has elected Ahmed Aboutaleb in 2009. As for black mayors i don't know, but Italy's had a black minister if that counts and the first transgender Member of Parliament (both of a European national parliament and European one)

Last edited by improb; 05-10-2016 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 10:34 AM

595 posts, read 719,717 times
Didn't France had black ministers as well?

Old 05-10-2016, 10:56 AM

861 posts, read 852,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
No, London isn't the first major European city to elect a Muslim mayor. Look at Rotterdam who has elected Ahmed Aboutaleb in 2009. As for black mayors i don't know, but Italy's had a black minister if that counts and the first transgender Member of Parliament (both of a European national parliament and European one)

Interesting I was not aware of Ahmed, it is certainly an achievement (Although he is very fair).

Having ministers of colour in parliament is not an achievement, Britain has had quite a few for many years now.

Also I am not sure what the powers are of the Rotterdam major? But London's much like New York's is a very powerful figure, with power over Transport, Housing etc. Given London now has a population of 8.6 million people that is a big deal.

Also I wouldnt try and pretend the netherlands is some progressive nation with regards to race. Given the arguably racist term 'Zwarte School' (literally black school) is openly used to describe schools with a huge percentage of minority children.

Also the term 'allochtoon' is used to refer exclusively to non white people of foreign origin. Lets also not forget 'Zwarte Piet' the openly racist caricature of black people which has been condemned by black people globally and the dutch continue to defend this offensive blackface tradition.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:05 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,013,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Didn't France had black ministers as well?

Hollande's honeys' are unveiled...

Hollande's honeys: New French President Francois Hollande unveils his cabinet of beauties | Daily Mail Online

Old 05-10-2016, 11:53 AM

291 posts, read 277,414 times
The previous mayor of London was not european. He was born in the USA. Sadiq Khan was actually born in London.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:10 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
The previous mayor of London was not european. He was born in the USA. Sadiq Khan was actually born in London.
True. Only America and Germany "matter".

Old 05-10-2016, 12:52 PM

42 posts, read 44,209 times
It's funny how Europeans lie and pretend to be open minded and accepting of other cultures but then moan and complain and suffer because 6% of their population is muslim.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:09 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indira89 View Post
It's funny how Europeans lie and pretend to be open minded and accepting of other cultures but then moan and complain and suffer because 6% of their population is muslim.
It's mostly the Americans who are going nuts here on C-D. Most of the regular Europeans try to speak reason to those who are watching too much FOX news.

I'm not saying that some Europeans wouldn't be in the same fantasy world. But hey, Latvia went berserk when they claimed to be over flooded with immigrants. Around 20 of them.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:27 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indira89 View Post
Define accepting other cultures. Was it germany where 4 people was stabbed at railway station just recently? When other cultures are coming to hurt natives it is quite hard to be open minded and accepting. Also when they come with demands to change our countries under sharia laws etc. I have to say it is quite hard to believe they would want to actually good to our countries and society.

Also it borns bitterness when they are getting special rights just for their religion etc.

Is it a lie if we just thought they would be happily adapt themselves in and be friends with us? I don't know if too many would be honest and say they would love to have some criminals who would commit crimes and try to change countries, take over towns (sweden) and wtf else things...?

It is funny how you would think what should be accepted behaviour of them?

No, sorry, I don't want our law starts to allow this and that things which have been against our morals for long time just because muslims walk in.

Accepting other cultures does not mean you let them stomp over yours and make yours disappear.

I never accepted some certain cultures just because they are against my morals but I would be okay if they want to come in and fyi, adapt into my culture.

Would you want someone come to your home, destroy it, pee on it (attitude) and replace it on their own house and their own house rules which would actually break common laws? I think you would lie if you say that would be totally ok to you.

When ever friendly I have no problem with them, the problem is, they are not friendly toward us. What if they would accept our culture before coming?

Old 05-10-2016, 01:31 PM

291 posts, read 277,414 times
It's interesting how its a cultural problem when the Muslims commit a crime but when it's some balkan slav gangster doing the stabbing nobody really brings up their "culture." Even though their culture is "eastern" with bearded religious men, different holidays, customs and food and women with scarfs on their head just like the Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe