Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 06:23 AM

239 posts, read 256,239 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'll be traveling to Ireland, via Dublin in April with my partner. We will be there for ten days. We will also have a car rental.

We've sort of crossed a dilemma when it comes to accommodations.

I've suggested staying in Dublin for the entirety of the trip, and driving to different spots of the country for sightseeing, tours, etc.

She's suggesting that we stay in different cities to really experience Ireland.

Now... our budget is $400, and we're hostel folk, but would like to, at least a few times, stay somewhere where we can have our privacy.

What do you suggest we do?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 07:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,195,540 times
Your budget for lodging for nine or ten nights is $400?

Old 03-09-2017, 12:01 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,659,261 times
Don't return to Dublin every night. Off the main highways travel can be slow. What looks like a short distance isn't always quick. Plus, with gas at around $8 a gallon all across Europe, you'd quickly burn thru your accommodation money.
Some trips from Dublin, e.g. Belfast 2 hours each way, are an easy day trip, others less so. Use the largest cities, Cork, Limerick, Galway, as overnight bases for the local areas. And, most importantly, don't accept candy from the Leprechauns.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:03 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,985,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespykidinseattle View Post
Hey everyone,

I'll be traveling to Ireland, via Dublin in April with my partner. We will be there for ten days. We will also have a car rental.

We've sort of crossed a dilemma when it comes to accommodations.

I've suggested staying in Dublin for the entirety of the trip, and driving to different spots of the country for sightseeing, tours, etc.

She's suggesting that we stay in different cities to really experience Ireland.

Now... our budget is $400, and we're hostel folk, but would like to, at least a few times, stay somewhere where we can have our privacy.

What do you suggest we do?

Thanks in advance!

Not a chance! Are you mad going to a foreign country and paying that?!

Old 03-09-2017, 12:39 PM

239 posts, read 256,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post

Not a chance! Are you mad going to a foreign country and paying that?!

I've done it before, easily.

It could be stretched to more, but I'm trying to waste all of our money on accommodations.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:21 PM

465 posts, read 609,885 times
It would be a sin if you stayed in Dublin each night. Go to some small towns and experience the real Ireland.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:24 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,970,269 times
Hi, I agree with earlier posters. It would be a shame to spend the whole time in Dublin. I have been to Ireland a number of times and have used Dublin as a base for seeing the east side of Ireland, and even Belfast. But as much as I love the city, it would be very difficult to use as a base to see some of the most rewarding Irish sights. You can't very well get to Connemara, Donegal, Ring of Kerry, Dingle, Cliffs of Moher, etc for some truly spectacular coastal scenery.

I would suggest you also use a few days in Galway and/or a few days down in the south around Killarney to get in some of this scenery

Old 03-13-2017, 03:44 PM

3,980 posts, read 9,003,304 times
Dublin isn't somewhere you'll want to spend the majority of your time---it's just another big city with a few cool pubs/architecture..... the "real" Ireland--the most beautiful, is on the west coast. Kerry, West Cork/ Galway, Mayo/Donegal Stick to northwest and then drive down to the Southwest (or vice versa) and you'll really fall in love with the country.

I'd rent a house--an air b&b, hostel or even holiday home (some towns have little holiday villages--like a small housing estate with rentals), and skip the hotel altogether. Dining out morning, noon, and night is very expensive and it's always more fun to cook for yourself on occasion and dine out when you feel the need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe