Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 06:25 PM

25 posts, read 40,642 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Paris and have narrowed down where we want to live to these two neighborhoods. I'm researching from my computer back in the U.S. and am hoping to get some more first hand information on these two areas.

I keep hearing "they are both nice". But I'm not really able to get a good idea of what the differences are and which one is better suited for us.

The 16th will be closer to the kid's school and much more of the school population lives here. That's a huge plus.

Do they both have a lot of stores, cafes, markets and restaurants that would be walkable? I'm trying to search the different restaurants and stores, but my internet searches keep sending back to more central Paris. Grrrr.

Are they both safe? Clean? What about open, green space? Do kids have things to do in both neighborhoods? We have a big dog and need someplace where I can comfortably walk him, without being in too much of a concrete jungle.

OK, other than the areas being "nice", can somebody tell me more about them and now they are different? Pros and cons?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 12:09 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineapplePrincess View Post
We are moving to Paris and have narrowed down where we want to live to these two neighborhoods. I'm researching from my computer back in the U.S. and am hoping to get some more first hand information on these two areas.

I keep hearing "they are both nice". But I'm not really able to get a good idea of what the differences are and which one is better suited for us.

The 16th will be closer to the kid's school and much more of the school population lives here. That's a huge plus.

Do they both have a lot of stores, cafes, markets and restaurants that would be walkable? I'm trying to search the different restaurants and stores, but my internet searches keep sending back to more central Paris. Grrrr.

Are they both safe? Clean? What about open, green space? Do kids have things to do in both neighborhoods? We have a big dog and need someplace where I can comfortably walk him, without being in too much of a concrete jungle.

OK, other than the areas being "nice", can somebody tell me more about them and now they are different? Pros and cons?

Thanks!
Now that you made the selection, Everything depends on the budget and the place...
Saint Cloud was great because you could have a garden and a big park (Domaine de Saint Cloud)

Now 16th and Neuilly are great too, but much more dense so less green. It depends where you are, you can have a park near your position or nothing. Both have terrasses/stores but nothing compare to touristy inner Paris. But it's fine lol, it's more calm and peacefull.
Both 16th and Neuilly are clean and safe .
But very dead at night (there are "young" posh districts in paris like Le Marais, but these two are "old" ones, less dynamic...).

I would go for 16th district, less posh and more alive than Neuilly. Looks like you want a minimum activity aroud you . The biggest park in 16th is the ranelagh's garden. Search around.
Plus this "The 16th will be closer to the kid's school and much more of the school population lives here. That's a huge plus." means you shouldn't target Neuilly.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:22 AM

OK, so the 16th is "less posh and more lively" than Neuilly.

Any other differences?

Old 06-28-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
OK, so the 16th is "less posh and more lively" than Neuilly.

Any other differences?
Neuilly sur Seine is a little bit more far away, with almost no metro and Boulogne's wood is the only park. I would rank it more rich than 16th district.
16e is close to many beautiful places of Paris, close to the 8th district, some of the most beautiful french boulevards, way more bigger than Neuilly (almost three times, 60k vs 170k).
Else they are quite similar, trees on streets, rich, calm, expensive af...
There are definitely more stuffs to do in 16th, it's not even a competition. But the best Is the proximity with multiple metros. Neuilly has nothing. Only the metro 1 on its west border. Quite annoying.... Trust me

Old 06-28-2017, 06:46 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,630 times
It can take a long time to reach central area like Champs Elysées or Les Halles from the south side of the 16th arrondissement than from the Neuilly. Line 1 is faster while line 9 is quite slow.

Between Neuilly and the 16th arrondissement, it all depends of which areas of the 16th or Neuilly and what you want.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
It can take a long time to reach central area like Champs Elysées or Les Halles from the south side of the 16th arrondissement than from the Neuilly. Line 1 is faster while line 9 is quite slow.

Between Neuilly and the 16th arrondissement, it all depends of which areas of the 16th or Neuilly and what you want.
Yes, but 16th has metros 6/9/10 and Rer C, depending on where you live.
She can go to Beaugrenelle instead of les Halles
Like the metro 1, Rer C follows many touristic spots -well, you know it-...
Pineapple, with roughly the area where you will be, it's hard to judge...

Old 06-29-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Pineapple, with roughly the area where you will be, it's hard to judge...
We just need to tell the housing people which neighborhood we want and they take it from there. So I really don't know. Looks like the 16th is pretty big, so I understand what you're saying.

Saint Cloud isn't an option. Too far from work.

I don't have any idea how the public transportation works. (Metro? Rer C? Line 1? Line 9? No idea! LOL I guess that'll be easy enough to figure out once we are there.)
But just knowing that the 16th has a lot more options, is helpful.

Do they both have a lot of markets/food stores within walking distance?

We have a dog, so I need to have some green space and would love to be close to parks. I hear the Bois de Boulogne can be pretty sketchy, though. (prostitutes.) Or is that just at night? Will I feel safe walking around here during the daytime by myself? (Again, looks like a huge park, so maybe some areas I'll just learn to stay away from?)

Yeah, I enjoy walking and enjoy walking my dog. I'm hoping wherever we end up, there will be lots of places I can explore on foot from my front door.

I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Old 06-29-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
We just need to tell the housing people which neighborhood we want and they take it from there. So I really don't know. Looks like the 16th is pretty big, so I understand what you're saying.

Saint Cloud isn't an option. Too far from work.

I don't have any idea how the public transportation works. (Metro? Rer C? Line 1? Line 9? No idea! LOL I guess that'll be easy enough to figure out once we are there.)
But just knowing that the 16th has a lot more options, is helpful.

Do they both have a lot of markets/food stores within walking distance?

We have a dog, so I need to have some green space and would love to be close to parks. I hear the Bois de Boulogne can be pretty sketchy, though. (prostitutes.) Or is that just at night? Will I feel safe walking around here during the daytime by myself? (Again, looks like a huge park, so maybe some areas I'll just learn to stay away from?)

Yeah, I enjoy walking and enjoy walking my dog. I'm hoping wherever we end up, there will be lots of places I can explore on foot from my front door.

I appreciate the help. Thanks!
Close to 'La Muette', you have metro, RER C and a park. Cafes, supermarkets and co are sprayed a little bit everywhere. The density of stores in Paris is very high -400/ km2- so even if 16th is more calm, you will have everything.

For the Bois de Boulogne, yes it's THE spot for 'sex-services'... But mainly in its core and yes at night. Near the lake inférieur during daytime it should be super! If you don't go alone in the deepest hidden alley at 2 am you ll be totally fine.
Paris- 16th arrondissement vs. Neuilly Sur Seine-screenshot_20170629-203204-01.jpeg

Near la Muette you also have the Ranelagh's garden:
Paris- 16th arrondissement vs. Neuilly Sur Seine-screenshot_20170629-203627-01.jpeg

Doesn't look that terrible, does it?

For transportation, RER C isn't the best, and you aren't on the main 'branch' (rer c is divided in two brench after the effeil tower, one goes to 16th, other to Versailles), but not overcrowded like the RER D/B/A It's just a train that ll bring you from point A to point B for cheap, 99% of the time without problems. But don't expect japanese level of service lol. At least it's here....You can go to Beaugrenelle with it, a sympathic commercial center.

I guess there are also cinema sprayed in the 16th district. More or less everything....
You have also traditional markets for fresh food during the weekend, always comfy to buy food there!

Edit, after a fast check cinemas are rare in the area. But you have a new one in Beaugrenelle, not far away. Besides you can still go in the beating heart of Paris, no need to stay in the 16th
This is beaugrenelle: it's full of normal stuffs like Zara, Hm, Pimkie...not Guccie or LVMH. Which is great in Paris...
Paris- 16th arrondissement vs. Neuilly Sur Seine-screenshot_20170629-205159-01.jpeg

Last edited by Pokitobounto; 06-29-2017 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 01:02 PM

Few words about the transportation (rer / metro)
They are easy af to use when you have a 'navigo' card. It's extremely easy to buy one, you can have it in few minutes. Then you just bip the card at the entrance and you are free.
Metros are small trains mainly inside Paris: outside of Paris itself they disappear. They are usually very very efficient.
RERs are real trains that 'act' like metros in Paris. They are used to commute from far far away, like 20/30 km outside of Paris.
They are great in theory, but overused and didn't have enough investment the last past 20 years. They are investing a lot now, but at the price of frequent -annoying - constructions. They are quite old, 20/30 yo and not always clean. Their stations have the reputation to be very dirty. But they do the job. We are waiting for a big metro in 2020-2030, but you ll leave Paris before the end of the construction lol. So you ll have to handle RER like a true parisian lol.

Metro 9 looks like this (at least new trains):
Paris- 16th arrondissement vs. Neuilly Sur Seine-screenshot_20170629-210519-01.jpeg

Rer c (they look good averall, but they are just old trains with new stickers on them lol. Specially a good half of them have no AC):
Paris- 16th arrondissement vs. Neuilly Sur Seine-screenshot_20170629-210543-01.jpeg

Maps for transportations are everywhere on google...once you understand them, Parisians transportations are very efficient. The density of metro stations is the highest in the world. You ll have to make a cross on the marble on the ground tho...

Last but not least, don't be depressed by your arrival with RER B from CDG airport

Last edited by Pokitobounto; 06-29-2017 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe