Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 02:59 PM

59 posts, read 54,713 times

Advertisements

Most poor countries in Europe are either Eastern Orthodox or Catholic. France and Austria are catholic but they were also influenced by some protestant values. Don't you think Greeks, Bulgarians, Macedonians, Spanish, Portuguese etc. would get a benefit of addopting Calvinist values, that arguably made The Netherlands the successful society it is today (even catholic Dutch have them as Calvinist values came to be adopted as "all Dutch" ones and even today liberal, secular Dutchies live by many of those customs such as not wasting too much money on superficial things, being modest (can a Greek PM ever be seen on a bike?)

Old 08-01-2017, 03:06 PM

130,692 posts, read 12,182,133 times
No I do not.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:17 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,629,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihailTheViking View Post
Most poor countries in Europe are either Eastern Orthodox or Catholic. France and Austria are catholic but they were also influenced by some protestant values. Don't you think Greeks, Bulgarians, Macedonians, Spanish, Portuguese etc. would get a benefit of addopting Calvinist values, that arguably made The Netherlands the successful society it is today (even catholic Dutch have them as Calvinist values came to be adopted as "all Dutch" ones and even today liberal, secular Dutchies live by many of those customs such as not wasting too much money on superficial things, being modest (can a Greek PM ever be seen on a bike?)
Do you think Iran would have benefited from adopting Christian values?
So what happened there? Why didn't they?
And how about Korea? (South or North - I don't care...)

Old 08-02-2017, 01:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,747,000 times
I don't think anyone need any value from a religion.

Stop saying hard working is "protestant value". I am sure the Japanese won't agree.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:42 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,689,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't think anyone need any value from a religion.

Stop saying hard working is "protestant value". I am sure the Japanese won't agree.
Yea..it's much more complicated than this, at least for south Europe -East Europe I know less-. Besides when you go in north of Spain or north of Italy, it's rich, clean and well organized, nothing like Naples in the south of Italy. Much more like Germany.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:09 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,305,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihailTheViking View Post
that divide is far less real than centuries ago , the world is too interconnected , its a somewhat distasteful term anyhow ,its nearly always meant to bestow a superiority on one side and an inferiority on the other , would it go down well if it was suggested that a dose of catholic values might make certain countries more compassionate and warm ? , its kind of the same thing as its about stereotypes

Old 08-02-2017, 03:33 AM

345 posts, read 269,768 times
Most people don't believe in myths, Poland maybe.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:43 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,738,827 times

As a Pole I have to say, I find thinking a country has a single thought on something rather silly. But that's not really the point, the point is:
I don't see this thread going anywhere constructive.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.