Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 07:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,099,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Oh, and I heard a story you could tell your friends: all Finns automatically go to heaven, as we are so stubborn and made a good place to live in this cold part of the world, that the Finns would put out the flames of hell and make it a comfortable place as well.
Hey, I like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 11:04 AM

6,469 posts, read 8,205,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
There was a huge migration of Swedes to Finland in the 1200-1300's and then a big migration of Finns to Sweden in the 1500's. And as before 1809 there was no Finland, this part of the world was the eastern part of Sweden. For example the early Delaware colonists might've been Finns, though labeled as Swedish.

Those genetic tests aren't giving much but the broad picture. But keep looking! You can find anything!
Exactly DNA ancestry tests are a waste of money.

DNA ancestry tests branded 'meaningless'
"...The warning was backed by a number of leading genetics experts. Steve Jones, Emeritus Professor of Human Genetics at UCL said: β€œOn a long trudge through history – two parents, four great-grandparents, and so on – very soon everyone runs out of ancestors and has to share them.

"As a result, almost every Briton is a descendant of Viking hordes, Roman legions, African migrants, Indian Brahmins, or anyone else they fancy.”..."

Old 12-10-2017, 01:33 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,391,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Celebrating today - the bottom biscuit is for the cat's birthday obviously
Out of curiosity, what about the top biscuite - do you make a biscuit (or smthg like that) for every anniversary of your republic or was it just a special case because of very 100th anniversary?
From what i have heard Finns are very patriotic, eg here i suppose it comes into nobody's head to make such bisquites specially for the republic's anniversary.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Exactly DNA ancestry tests are a waste of money.

DNA ancestry tests branded 'meaningless'
"...The warning was backed by a number of leading genetics experts. Steve Jones, Emeritus Professor of Human Genetics at UCL said: “On a long trudge through history – two parents, four great-grandparents, and so on – very soon everyone runs out of ancestors and has to share them.

"As a result, almost every Briton is a descendant of Viking hordes, Roman legions, African migrants, Indian Brahmins, or anyone else they fancy.”..."
All I can tell you is that my DNA testing, which included but was not limited to ancestry, bore out exactly what we know of our family tree, and added the Finnish and Scandinavian dollop that we didn't know about but which almost certainly derives from British or German ancestry, which we knew about.

We had no clear cut anything regarding rumors of Native Americans, Jews, etc - and none of that showed up at all. Not a smidgen. Since so much of my family was "landed gentry" when arriving in the US, we already had a lot of family records easily available. It was the few "mystery strands" we were intrigued by.

But with the exception of the Scandinavian/Finnish ancestry, there were no exotic surprises at all. I'm completely white, whatever that means. As in pasty, pale, pale white - LOL.

My husband on the other hand, who happens to look like a Viking (or as I'd imagine one to look) actually had all sorts of unknown stuff show up in his - Western African, Jewish, southern European - in spite of being predominately Irish, which he also already knew. His family settled in Louisiana in the early 1800s so that wasn't surprising either - that's a real melting pot down there.

Anyway, we also ran the tests for a predisposition toward several serious health issues - since we have family members who have unfortunately been stricken with several of them- Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease to name just a few. Thankfully neither of us carry the genes that really up the chances of those diseases but if we did, we wanted to know about it.

But to clarify, I'm definitely American. My ancestors founded Jamestown, VA and served in the House of Burgesses during the Revolutionary War for pete's sake. That's about as American as one can get, other than Native American. We've been in the US for nearly 400 years.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:12 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,217,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Ooo I descend from pig farmers too! Well pig and cow farmers, but poorish ones in Lapland rather than the bourgeoisie.
All glory to the pig farmers...and to the pigs too.
Christmas is coming and with Christmas is coming this

Old 12-10-2017, 08:34 PM

I'm about to dig into a big ham at Christmas too! HOORAY FOR PIG FARMERS!

Old 12-10-2017, 09:01 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,629,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post

Eating meat promotes toxic masculinity, academic journal says | Fox News

Old 12-11-2017, 01:00 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,262,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Out of curiosity, what about the top biscuite - do you make a biscuit (or smthg like that) for every anniversary of your republic or was it just a special case because of very 100th anniversary?
From what i have heard Finns are very patriotic, eg here i suppose it comes into nobody's head to make such bisquites specially for the republic's anniversary.
Nah this was a one-off. I get the flag out each year and get suitably drunk, maybe visit the graveyard to light some candles (this year there was an honour guard at the war dead memorial and so I dutifully walked my heavily pregnant body 40 minutes to get there), but I don't usually make anything special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post

Yay pig farmers!

But also yay to the cow farmers - my grandad's cows produced excellent fatty milk (that's how they judged the quality then, by how much fat was in it)

Old 12-11-2017, 01:46 PM

Well, thanks to living in Europe in the 1990s, I can't donate blood anymore (mad cow disease - though so far so good for me on that one!).

Old 12-11-2017, 03:37 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,217,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm about to dig into a big ham at Christmas too! HOORAY FOR PIG FARMERS!
With ham you need to have also these:

- Rutabaga casserole
- Malt potato casserole

So heavenly tasty with grey salted ham...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe