Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:03 AM

630 posts, read 526,240 times

Advertisements

Marseille is big one. All big European cities have areas that could look "developing", it's just that locals don't notice those areas anymore but they are like elephants in a corridor for tourists. That said there are more American cities that look like they belong in the developing world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 09:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Sheesh!!!!!!! You guys would have p*ssed in your pants on Manhattan's Upper West Side or the Lower East Side in the 60s and 70s. They have been gentrified and plasticized to a stifling degree now, but parts of other U.S. cities are well along on the slide down to third world ugliness and incivility.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:42 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Sheesh!!!!!!! You guys would have p*ssed in your pants on Manhattan's Upper West Side or the Lower East Side in the 60s and 70s. They have been gentrified and plasticized to a stifling degree now, but parts of other U.S. cities are well along on the slide down to third world ugliness and incivility.
Well the thread is about European cities that look 3rd world....there are plenty of cities in the US that seem 3rd world to me, especially with respect to crime.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:57 PM

278 posts, read 230,729 times
Someone I quote to malaga like city with zones that appear in development,.
.-
Malaga, is located in Andalusia that have the lowest per Capita income in the spanish regions .-
Andalucia is very beautiful but it is a very not industrialized area.-
The income, per Capita, of Malaga is of 17267 Euros .-

The income per capita of the Spanish cities of the North of Spain are around 35000 Euros that is they have almost twice the personal wealth that Malaga.

These cities of Northern of Spain for example Vitoria,san sebastian,Bilbao,Santander,Oviedo ,etc etc ma intain a level of wealth of appareance ,organization ,services ,cleaning and care of the highest level of Europe.-

Old 12-22-2018, 09:23 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Lisbon and Porto look somewhat like third world cities, at least in some central areaa.
However, it gives them some charm.
Lisbon is undergoing massive investment and gentrification though. Especially in Central areas.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
We were in Marbella, Spain a couple of years and I always thought Malaga looked a little bit 3rd worldish. To be fair, it's still a lot better than some of the 3rd world places I've been.
Malaga has ongoing gentrification.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomon View Post
Someone I quote to malaga like city with zones that appear in development,.
.-
Malaga, is located in Andalusia that have the lowest per Capita income in the spanish regions .-
Andalucia is very beautiful but it is a very not industrialized area.-
The income, per Capita, of Malaga is of 17267 Euros .-

The income per capita of the Spanish cities of the North of Spain are around 35000 Euros that is they have almost twice the personal wealth that Malaga.

These cities of Northern of Spain for example Vitoria,san sebastian,Bilbao,Santander,Oviedo ,etc etc ma intain a level of wealth of appareance ,organization ,services ,cleaning and care of the highest level of Europe.-
Andalucia has lots of investment in real estate because large numbers of British people retire here, lots of British digital nomads live here, and of course lots of British investors in real estate buy the buildings here and renovate them and sell them.

Andalucia is a very agricultural area as well. Yes people in Spain and Europe cannot live off thin air. Even in Europe people must eat. Because of the climate, they grow a lot of citrus, olives, pomegranates, and other fruit for export throughout the Iberian Peninsula and Europe. You'll meet British and other Northern Europeans who work in the agricultural import/export business in Andalucia.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:17 AM

278 posts, read 230,729 times
NYWRYTERDUDE.-

Although Andalucia is the Area with the lowest PIB of Spain ,it is still a quite developed area.

But the cities of Northern Spain are twice as rich and their habitat is among the best
in the World.-I recommend to You a visit to these cities.-although there is less Sun than in Andalucia and it often rains.-

Old 12-23-2018, 10:02 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
East London is pretty crappy. I was there for a couple weeks, and I was surprised at some of the flats I walked by. They looked burned down but actually had people living in there...

Old 12-23-2018, 02:56 PM

419 posts, read 343,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I will start with a obvious one. Athens: dirty, buildings falling apart, lack of maintenance in general, garbage everywhere , graffiti , too many shady areas.
???

Of course there are specific areas looking like this in general, especially those with increased amount of minorities, like pattisia, but nearly no European capital or big city lacks such areas (you are from French Riviera which is full of ugly apartments so you should be the first to know it), the historical center of the city is pretty clear with lovely baroque architecture

Graffiti is the only of these things unfortunately representing the total of the city, including historical center

Last edited by Giannis; 12-23-2018 at 03:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe