Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 02:38 AM

4 posts, read 10,486 times

Advertisements

I've done quite a bit of searching on this topic, but I'd love some more opinions.

I am living in The Netherlands and have a nice job offer in Ireland. I have been to Ireland several times and really liked it, but want to make sure that it is a good cultural fit.

I am originally from the Deep South in the US, so I appreciate a slower pace of life, friendliness, and so on (though some may argue that it is a superficial friendliness, especially to 'outsiders' ).

I find the Dutch to be a bit direct and intimidating for my personality, though I do really admire their work ethic and intelligence. Also, I am religious and have found that church is not a big part of the culture in the southern part of The Netherlands.
Other than that, I like it here very much and I am not desperate to leave this safe, clean, beautiful place.

However, I'm wondering if I might like the friendlier Irish culture a bit better. Having said that, I do realise that people are people, and there will be nice and rude people everywhere in the world.

Also, it is tempting because the job would be a great career move. My current job is fine, but a bit limiting.
The salaries are similar, so that is not much of a factor in my decision.

I guess I am trying to balance location/culture vs. the job (in terms of growth potential, etc.).

Thank you in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 03:06 AM

419 posts, read 342,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ginger7 View Post
I've done quite a bit of searching on this topic, but I'd love some more opinions.

I am living in The Netherlands and have a nice job offer in Ireland. I have been to Ireland several times and really liked it, but want to make sure that it is a good cultural fit.

I am originally from the Deep South in the US, so I appreciate a slower pace of life, friendliness, and so on (though some may argue that it is a superficial friendliness, especially to 'outsiders' ).

I find the Dutch to be a bit direct and intimidating for my personality, though I do really admire their work ethic and intelligence. Also, I am religious and have found that church is not a big part of the culture in the southern part of The Netherlands.
Other than that, I like it here very much and I am not desperate to leave this safe, clean, beautiful place.

However, I'm wondering if I might like the friendlier Irish culture a bit better. Having said that, I do realise that people are people, and there will be nice and rude people everywhere in the world.

Also, it is tempting because the job would be a great career move. My current job is fine, but a bit limiting.

I guess I am trying to balance location/culture vs. the job (in terms of growth potential, etc.).

Lol then what are you doing in Netherlands?

OF COURSE you have to emigrate to Ireland, if not to any South European country

Old 03-01-2019, 03:26 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,377 times
Dutch are some of the friendliest people in Europe, would not trade to Ireland

Old 03-01-2019, 06:55 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Big culture shock between Netherlands and Ireland. Though there's a lot of Irishmen in Amsterdam, and the Dutch do seem to love the Irish. Just don't expect Ireland to be like the Netherlands. Ireland is quaint and cute if you look at it through the eyes of a tourist, but it's also somewhat dysfunctional and borderline un-European in terms of routine functions of infrastructure, public services etc. It might be more than the rural Deep South that way than the Netherlands.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:25 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,944,794 times
I wouldn't swap Netherlands for Ireland. Having lived in both, prefer N. Irelands' alleged 'friendliness' , may well have had a bearing on reality in times past, but very over done in my book.
N, far better located for escapes to surrounding countries. I'd say as friendly, at least as much as IRE, besides far prefer Amsterdam, to Dublin, many times.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:59 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
OP, IMO if Ireland would be better for your career, take that option. If you don't like the country, the people, and the farther-north location (shorter days in winter), you can seek another job in the Netherlands, after you have this job-growth experience to put on your resume. There's nothing saying the move to Ireland has to be permanent, right? I say--go for it, scope out the society, enjoy your job growth, and re-evaluate after a year.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:37 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,944,794 times
Do you speak Dutch? All sorts of variables at play here. Same pay, you write? Are you sure it is a 'step up', in career or just being 'used' because you are cheap to employ? I get the feeling, that too much emphasis can be placed on 'career' these days, will minimal return.
Will The Netherlands remain an option at a later date if wishing to return. Certainly with religious considerations, you write about., Netherlands would not be the country, but Ireland is far removed from the country, it was, concerning religion, I believe.
I found the over emphasis on pubs and boozing far to much, in my case, with too little else, especially if not interested in their sport. Can be quite intimidating/confronting as well.
Lots of Americans, appear to like Ireland though. So the eyes you see it through, may very considerably to mine.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:18 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ginger7 View Post

Your biggest problem if moving to Ireland for work will be finding a place to live, housing shortage here is chronic, rent is extremely high

Old 03-02-2019, 09:40 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Your biggest problem if moving to Ireland for work will be finding a place to live, housing shortage here is chronic, rent is extremely high

It is true for the OK parts of the cities i.e. Dublin, Cork, Galway, and yet there's wide swaths of the country losing population which have abundant cheap housing. There's just no infrastructure for longer commutes, so all the people with decent jobs cram into the cities.

Public transit is largely underdeveloped (outside inner Dublin) - which in part is because there's a stigma against it among the better-off - and the road network is still even after extensive investment sub-par on the edges the growing metropolitan areas. There's quiet residential streets in America that are bigger than some major thoroughfares in Irish cities.

It doesn't help that so many areas in and around the cities are off-limits to development due to the anti-social activities that take place in the 'social' housing estates there.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:30 AM

4 posts, read 10,486 times
Thank you so much for all the great insight! It is very helpful.

To address a few questions:

I am learning Dutch, but am not yet at a level where I can carry on a real conversation. I know that is a big (though hopefully temporary) barrier to feeling like I fit in well here.

I am definitely concerned about housing! Thankfully the company in Dublin provides temporary housing and assistance with finding a permanent home. So I'm hopeful that it won't be impossible to find something reasonable.

I am from a rural area and I don't like to live in cities; for my entire career, I have lived outside a big city (sometimes more than an hour away) and commuted, so I am prepared for that. I would not prefer to live in Dublin, but maybe somewhere quiet in Wicklow.

Again, I am so grateful for everyone taking the time to provide such useful insight. Thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe