Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 07:34 PM

102,226 posts, read 108,023,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwi97 View Post
Why do you people have to politicize everything?
Have you been to Russia recently?
It is hardly a "3rd world" as you put it, the cities are cleaner and more modern than most American cities and they are safe, as there are no American "style" ghettos, people are in good shape and look healthy because they are, the traffic is horrendous however.
The food cost comparison is important to note as the OP is going there with a US income, even then, the food costs a lot less there than in the US, especially where you are.
You're the one who brought up politics, mentioning the "evil empire" meme.I was simply responding to that. Not sure why you mentioned it, if it wasn't relevant to your point...?

Of course the food is cheaper. The OP knows that; he knows the overall COL is cheaper than in North America or Western Europe, which is one of the main reasons he hopes to get a residency visa for there. I'm not understanding why you think it's such a big revelation that food is cheaper there. The entire economy functions on a different level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 08:01 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,867,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwi97 View Post
Why do you people have to politicize everything?
Have you been to Russia recently?
It is hardly a "3rd world" as you put it, the cities are cleaner and more modern than most American cities and they are safe, as there are no American "style" ghettos, people are in good shape and look healthy because they are, the traffic is horrendous however.
The food cost comparison is important to note as the OP is going there with a US income, even then, the food costs a lot less there than in the US, especially where you are.
Everyone has their opinion on what is 3rd world and isn't. I use the following: Can you drink straight water from the tap in the majority of cities? If not, its 3rd world. Russia is 3rd world by this classification.

Cities are cleaner and more modern? Have you ever been to any cities in Russia outside of the big 2? Because this statement is sadly ignorant at best. Yes there are nice parts, particularly near the squares but to call them more modern than "most" American cities is more than ignorant, it smacks of delusion. If you're comparing Moscow to Detroit, sure.

Food costs a lot less in Russia? You sure about that? Depends on where in Russia you are talking about and whether you compare food of similar quality. It was much cheaper 4 years ago in dollar terms but times have changed. Its cheaper as it is in Mexico but its not MUCH cheaper.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:28 PM

45 posts, read 39,123 times
There are many other nice cities in Russia......Vladivostok, Krasnodar, Sochi, Kaliningrad, Ekaterinburg, just to name a few....everyone of them is cleaner and safer than any one in California.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:38 PM

7,159 posts, read 4,562,630 times
Poland is a great country and your money will go far. Plus they are s free country.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:35 PM

1,348 posts, read 626,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Everyone has their opinion on what is 3rd world and isn't. I use the following: Can you drink straight water from the tap in the majority of cities? If not, its 3rd world. Russia is 3rd world by this classification.

Cities are cleaner and more modern? Have you ever been to any cities in Russia outside of the big 2? Because this statement is sadly ignorant at best. Yes there are nice parts, particularly near the squares but to call them more modern than "most" American cities is more than ignorant, it smacks of delusion. If you're comparing Moscow to Detroit, sure.

Food costs a lot less in Russia? You sure about that? Depends on where in Russia you are talking about and whether you compare food of similar quality. It was much cheaper 4 years ago in dollar terms but times have changed. Its cheaper as it is in Mexico but its not MUCH cheaper.
Just the opposite it is your words smell delusion. I drink tap water at home and don't suffer from it at all. Most of the cities even in the province have a very neat appearance. Yes, there are certainly the cities and towns where the devastation and abandonment is evident... but where they are not... and this is mainly in remote parts... And let's compare the prices of products in your city and in mine?

Old 05-30-2019, 10:06 PM

7,369 posts, read 4,149,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
It's not safe to drink tap water in many US cities either. Flint, Michigan, remember? Pittsburgh, PA, Brady, TX and Milwaukee, WI, to name a few, isn't safe either.

https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/th...ca-52263#bv-us

Old 06-01-2019, 10:32 PM

427 posts, read 246,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Poland is a great country and your money will go far. Plus they are s free country.
I already applied to schools in Russia and am paying tuition to ТГУ this week, but thank you for the advice! Polish people are not known for liking my people, so I was always keen to avoid going there for any more than a quick visit.

Russian guy named Дима came into my workplace today and we got to chatting...he was surprised I knew anything about Russian geography and when my coworker said how nuts I was, he said it wasn't nuts, just strange for an American to consider...then he told me to watch out for Russian women because they love westerners (money)...which is a common stereotype that exists for a reason. But obviously not everyone is like that, and you just have to be smart about it.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:34 PM

427 posts, read 246,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
It's not safe to drink tap water in many US cities either. Flint, Michigan, remember? Pittsburgh, PA, Brady, TX and Milwaukee, WI, to name a few, isn't safe either.

https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/th...ca-52263#bv-us
Also, I was going to mention Flint, MI being a third-world country!

Old 06-02-2019, 01:02 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,456,737 times
Quote:
A lot of people who have never been there before go into shock when they see it. I'm not talking about Moscow or St. Pete's. I think part of the problem is that they expect it to be closer to Western Europe in living standards.
I've walked the slums of Naples, Rome, Nice, Barcelona, Toulon, Marseilles, Warsaw and a few others in my time. It never seemed that different to me aside from the fact that in some of those places you are definitely not safe or in some cases not welcome. In most poor districts of a Russian city I have never felt threatened, I have never been stolen from like I have in my travels around Europe. I have never been accosted by paid thugs on a bus because I threw away a bus ticket as I was one time in Warsaw. I have never been followed by thugs down dark streets in Moscow, Minsk, Smolensk, Belgorod or any other place I have been in Russia. I have never seen a Russian 20 something so drugged out of his mind that he was unable to pull his pants up from his ankles as he struggled trying to put a bottle of Mt Dew in said pants pocket.

I saw this just last night in Seatac Wa. I know Russia has drug problems but not on the scale of what I see here. I would be shocked to see that there, it's so common here in Murika I did what every person in sight of this individual did. I kept walking. I feel bad about walking away this morning but I know that nothing would have been done by the authorities and had I personally intervened I may have ended up in trouble myself.

Those people who think Russia is 4th world need to crawl out form under the gold plated rock they live under and look around where they live. If they dare they need to step out of their gated communities and see what the real America is like.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:56 PM

7,369 posts, read 4,149,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

Those people who think Russia is 4th world need to crawl out form under the gold plated rock they live under and look around where they live. If they dare they need to step out of their gated communities and see what the real America is like.

Good point.

I hope you know, CuriousAboutRussia, that Russians need travel permits to travel within Russia. With nine time zones and how big it is, it makes sense.

Your visa gives you permission for an exact town and an exact housing address. Your visa may not be for the entire country. You should be very careful about travel outside your visa approved area. Find out what is and what is not allowed before you leave.

Also.

"Just like in many European countries, upon arriving in any new dwelling, you must be registered with federal migration service (FMS) within 7 business days of arriving. Most hotels are accredited with the FMS and arrange registration automatically and without fee on the day of arrival. It is worth insisting to be registered at least in the first city you visit. The proof of registration is a separate piece of paper , keep it until you leave Russia as it may be requested at the border control."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe