Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 07:26 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,181,090 times

Advertisements

I know Prague has a lot of Vietnamese, but that seems to be the only outlier. The rest of this region seems fairly homogenous within each country. Am I missing any others? I suppose some parts of Russia but not sure if they should be counted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 08:08 AM

518 posts, read 399,078 times
The city Elista (Элиста, Элст) in the Republic of Kalmykia in Eastern Europe (Республика Калмыкия) has even an Asian majority, the Kalmyks migrated from Dzungaria into the Kalmyk Steppe.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:56 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,031,404 times
You said it: Prague. Everything else is considered alien planet for the world out there. Yes I bet parts of Russia but seeing how say Vladivostok is 1000 kms from Japan and 10,000 from Bulgaria it's not easy to call it "eastern europe".

Old 04-30-2019, 11:16 AM

58 posts, read 39,589 times
A lot of Vietnamese in Brno, they seem to run all those small local grocery shops. And, of course, they are omnipresent at market halls. There's a substantial number of the Vietnamese working in Asian restaurants and in nail studios too. We also have several large universities, some bio-tech companies and quite a bit of IT companies so that there's a decent number of foreigners working or studying there, including Asians (a ton of Chinese, Indian and Pakistani students at the Medical Faculty of the Masaryk University, for instance). I also know of a few Mongolian families in the neighborhood where I'm living.

Last edited by kubikula; 04-30-2019 at 11:38 AM..

Old 05-01-2019, 01:09 AM

251 posts, read 396,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
You said it: Prague. Everything else is considered alien planet for the world out there. Yes I bet parts of Russia but seeing how say Vladivostok is 1000 kms from Japan and 10,000 from Bulgaria it's not easy to call it "eastern europe".
Vladivostok is mostly by populated Europeans, so...

As for OP's question, Moscow has lot of Central Asian and Chinese immigrants.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:18 AM

61,862 posts, read 87,339,575 times
Not in Central/Eastern Europe. They are still pretty homogenous

London, Liverpool, and Paris have some of the famous Chinatown districts in Europe. The oldest Chinese settlements in Europe can be found in Liverpool and account for 1.7% of the city’s population. Many rich Chinese in London in the professional services industry live in Canary Wharf. The Hong Kong Chinese normally live in Soho.
You could figure out how many Asian live there:
https://www.ethnologue.com/country/GB

While in Paris, there are numerous Chinatowns and Asian communities in the area. Some can be traced at Avenue de Choisy and the suburbs of Le Kremlin-Bicêtre.
Paris's Chinatown currently has a vibrant Southeast Asian ethnic Chinese character, while its newer counterpart in Belleville largely consists of fairly recent Mainland Chinese. The Chinatown in Paris located in the 13th arrondissement is the largest in Europe.
Legal and undocumented immigrants have especially contributed to the development of Chinese communities in Europe, including the currently nascent Chinatown in the Esquilino district of Rome, Italy.
Thessaloniki, Greece's second largest city, has seen an influx of Chinese primarily from the Yunnan province since 2002.
Some early Chinese immigrants to Portugal came from the former Portuguese territory of Macau, when it was returned to Mainland Chinese control in 1999, while others came from Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam.

You can browse here to find out the # of Asians by language spoken:
https://www.ethnologue.com/browse/co..._of_the_worl=4
However, they don't list cities.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:09 PM

518 posts, read 399,078 times
The Republic of Kalmykia which has an Asian majority is in Europe, not in Asia. For most users here Europe seems to end east of Bulgaria...In fact, for most users here Europe is London + Paris + the Mediterrean + a couple of other cities and that's all... yet their liking does not define Europe's borders ->

Old 05-01-2019, 08:05 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubikula View Post
A lot of Vietnamese in Brno, they seem to run all those small local grocery shops. And, of course, they are omnipresent at market halls. There's a substantial number of the Vietnamese working in Asian restaurants and in nail studios too. We also have several large universities, some bio-tech companies and quite a bit of IT companies so that there's a decent number of foreigners working or studying there, including Asians (a ton of Chinese, Indian and Pakistani students at the Medical Faculty of the Masaryk University, for instance). I also know of a few Mongolian families in the neighborhood where I'm living.
Ah yes, I forgot about Brno! That whole western region of Czech Republic I believe has a decent number of Vietnamese as well, but I kinda forgot as I was just thinking of the largest cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket300 View Post
Vladivostok is mostly by populated Europeans, so...

As for OP's question, Moscow has lot of Central Asian and Chinese immigrants.
Moscow! Didn't think about it. It appears from the data I found that the numbers aren't super high, but it is somewhat notable. Particularly Koreans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not in Central/Eastern Europe. They are still pretty homogenous

Thessaloniki, Greece's second largest city, has seen an influx of Chinese primarily from the Yunnan province since 2002.
Some early Chinese immigrants to Portugal came from the former Portuguese territory of Macau, when it was returned to Mainland Chinese control in 1999, while others came from Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam.

You can browse here to find out the # of Asians by language spoken:
https://www.ethnologue.com/browse/co..._of_the_worl=4
However, they don't list cities.
Hmm, Thessaloniki would be intriguing. But I'm not sure the influx has really reached a point of significance yet. At least for Athens, the community there seems to be rather small, though certainly growing.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:32 AM

61,862 posts, read 87,339,575 times
Not sure, but looks like there are plenty of Chinese kids to warrant this:
https://greece.greekreporter.com/201...hinese-school/
I think lots of Armenians live there too...

Old 05-02-2019, 08:56 AM

^There are Chinese language schools all over, even places with just 50 Chinese families will open a Chinese school. I am interested in something more along the lines of 5000 Chinese pop, or general Asian pop over 10k. I have read about Chinese schools in Athens and Budapest before, but the communities still seem quite small. (Appreciate your reply though!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe