Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 09:49 PM

427 posts, read 245,913 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all, some of you may remember me as that guy who started a thread about moving to Russia with a fixed income. I have now been in Russia for 3 days, and it's not too bad!

My first day, I got to SVO airport after having been awake for about 28 hours with maybe an hour of sleep on the plane and I was exhausted. With my exhaustions, I managed to leave my wallet at the Tele2 kiosk in the D terminal and then had to spend 40 minutes trying to find someone willing to help me find it, which I did. A nice man who worked at the airport spent about 20 minutes helping me find it and I was extremely grateful.

After that, I hopped on the next AeroExpress to Belorusskaya Railway Station and waited there for my friend! I met her online about 10 months ago and her English was so good I didn't even realize she was a Russian native until she told me. I brought her a stuffed wolf and some sweets from America she couldn't get there (Big League Chew) though I wish I could have brought her a stuffed mouse (my nickname for her is Мышка) but our meeting was on short notice. She brought me a small knitted apatosarus (an inside joke between us,) with an Удачи keychain thing on it. I almost cried haha.

The first thing we did was walk down Tverskaya Ulitsa towards Mayakovskaya Metro Station. On the way there, we stopped at the small park dedicated to her Mayakovskiy, which is right next to the Tchaikovsky hall, I believe. When I was in the metro station, I was amazed by how many people were around; I had never been to a city this big in my life. She told me Mayakovskaya was her favorite metro station, along with Kievskaya I believe. We rode that down to Ploshad' Revolutsii and I rubbed the dogs nose for a wish. We continued on to Teatralnaya where I saw ЦУМ, Bolshoi Teatra, and others. We walked from there to Red Square and from Red Square, we walked to ГУМ, where I was told the ice cream isn't as good as everyone says.

At this point, I was hungry, so we left GUM and walked down a ways past Okhotniy Riad to an Asian restaurant where I bought her dinner...at that point, sleep deprivation was hitting me and I had never been that tired in my life. She told me we should rest there for a bit. After I rested for a bit, we walked back by Okhotniy Riad and over to the Eternal Flame where we ended up talking about respect for those who deserve it. She showed me the stones for the different cities and I ended up asking her if this area had any significance to her...she started crying and told me how her grandfather was in the war so we sat on a bench right outside the exhibition center and just cuddled for about an hour. I showed her a portion of an audiobook I thought would mean something to her and it certainly did.

At this point, I had spent 7 hours of my 13 hour layover with her and it was wonderful. We went back to Belorusskaya and I tried not to cry boarding the AeroExpress back to SVO.

I have posted some pictures of her and Ihere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 09:58 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,507 times
With the arrival. I am glad to welcome you to the Siberian land!

Old 09-27-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimogor View Post
with the arrival. I am glad to welcome you to the siberian land!
Спасибо большое!

Old 09-28-2019, 02:15 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
What did you think of St Basils Cathedral? It's totally awesome IMO. I remember when I was flying over from Seattle I had a system for sleeping down. Take off and eat dinner. After that maybe a movie but I usually went to sleep up against the window and woke up on our descent to Shremetyevo. I always got a window seat.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
What did you think of St Basils Cathedral? It's totally awesome IMO. I remember when I was flying over from Seattle I had a system for sleeping down. Take off and eat dinner. After that maybe a movie but I usually went to sleep up against the window and woke up on our descent to Shremetyevo. I always got a window seat.
I couldn't sleep at all. The idiots sitting next to me kept the lights on the whole flight and climbed over me so much. I was in an aisle seat.

I loved St. Basil's. It was wonderful

Old 09-30-2019, 03:37 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,827 times
Thank you for sharing your story and photos. Hope you enjoy the trip over there. Where about in Russia will you live? You also plan to study Russian at a language school right?

Old 09-30-2019, 06:12 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
All this BS was because of a woman?

Old 09-30-2019, 06:20 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
All this BS was because of a woman?
No. He moved to Tomsk to go to school. He knew this girl in Moscow. He had a layover.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
No. He moved to Tomsk to go to school. He knew this girl in Moscow. He had a layover.
Da. I'm not so stupid that I'd move to a foreign country for a woman. I like her a lot but even so, I decided to move here when her and I hadn't talked for a while.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
Da. I'm not so stupid that I'd move to a foreign country for a woman. I like her a lot but even so, I decided to move here when her and I hadn't talked for a while.
Lol, they all say that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe