Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 10:30 PM

230 posts, read 164,768 times

Advertisements

I'm a US citizen who has been an expat in Korea for 4 years. I am retiring and returning to the US soon. For years I had thought about retiring as an expat in Europe but current situations in my life and Covid issues with travel mean that I'm not currently looking into a permanent move. However living in Seoul has if anything increased my interest in living an urban lifestyle so I am starting to think about the possibility of a 2nd home (actually apartment is probably more likely).

Does anyone have any insight into countries that are particularly good or bad for owning real estate as a non-resident?

Most of the retirement and non-working visas I know require living in the country for significant portions of the year. Are there any that allow longer than 90 days but less then 6 months and still build time towards permanent residency?

Of course there are really at least three different idea. Buying property. Signing a long term lease on property so that you have a permanent home base, or slow traveling for however long the visa term is via long term AirBnB. I haven't really looked into the costs of the options of short term likely higher daily costs versus paying for time that the real estate stands empty. Note that I do not want to attempt to be an AirBnB host with real estate in some other country! Thus empty real estate is not going to be earning money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 08:54 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
You best look into visa requirements for European countries. Embassy sites generally go into detail.

Having around .on vacation to build time towards permanent residency is a novel idea

Old 02-06-2022, 09:48 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Historically, Spain has been really lenient about foreigners buying real estate and living there. There is very likely some sort of income requirement so that you don't become a burden on their tax payers.

Most countries have their immigration requirements online, so it is easy to look it up.

Just be aware that residency requirements can be easily changed. I can remember about 20 years ago, Thailand changed their non-permanent resident requirements and it cause a lot of inconvenience to a lot of people who were living there full time without permanent resident status.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just be aware that residency requirements can be easily changed. I can remember about 20 years ago, Thailand changed their non-permanent resident requirements and it cause a lot of inconvenience to a lot of people who were living there full time without permanent resident status.
This is very true. Malaysia recently changed some of their requirements causing trouble for expat retirees after having courted them with the Malaysia My Second Home visa for years.

Residency is the hardest hurdle. Portugal (6 consecutive months or 8 months per year) is probably the most lenient.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:47 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
I'm a US citizen who has been an expat in Korea for 4 years. I am retiring and returning to the US soon. For years I had thought about retiring as an expat in Europe but current situations in my life and Covid issues with travel mean that I'm not currently looking into a permanent move. However living in Seoul has if anything increased my interest in living an urban lifestyle so I am starting to think about the possibility of a 2nd home (actually apartment is probably more likely).

Does anyone have any insight into countries that are particularly good or bad for owning real estate as a non-resident?

Most of the retirement and non-working visas I know require living in the country for significant portions of the year. Are there any that allow longer than 90 days but less then 6 months and still build time towards permanent residency?

Of course there are really at least three different idea. Buying property. Signing a long term lease on property so that you have a permanent home base, or slow traveling for however long the visa term is via long term AirBnB. I haven't really looked into the costs of the options of short term likely higher daily costs versus paying for time that the real estate stands empty. Note that I do not want to attempt to be an AirBnB host with real estate in some other country! Thus empty real estate is not going to be earning money.
You might consider the Netherlands, as they are at the peak of urban lifestyle. There is this thing called the DAFT Visa, and I think the threshold is like 4,500 Euros you have to invest in a business or some such thing. You can set up a home-based internet/website deal or some other low-effort "business."

Old 02-06-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You might consider the Netherlands, as they are at the peak of urban lifestyle. There is this thing called the DAFT Visa, and I think the threshold is like 4,500 Euros you have to invest in a business or some such thing. You can set up a home-based internet/website deal or some other low-effort "business."

I've joked about the DAFT Visa with my wife but have never really looked into it. I assumed, very possibly incorrectly, that the business side of things had to meet the IRS definitions of a business and thus would have to actually show a profit every so often. In many respects the Netherlands would be a good fit but I'm not 100% convinced I want to depend on creating a profitable business from scratch.

Now if I can do it via investing in someone else's business I would be more interested! Thanks for the reminder about DAFT - I'll try to do some more research on it.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:00 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:

I've joked about the DAFT Visa with my wife but have never really looked into it. I assumed, very possibly incorrectly, that the business side of things had to meet the IRS definitions of a business and thus would have to actually show a profit every so often. In many respects the Netherlands would be a good fit but I'm not 100% convinced I want to depend on creating a profitable business from scratch.

Now if I can do it via investing in someone else's business I would be more interested! Thanks for the reminder about DAFT - I'll try to do some more research on it.
I think you don't have to necessarily be profitable - and you can employ a local, even part-time, for something like a crepe stand or tech repair shop or whatever. I was thinking of moving and doing an internet based service business. 4.500 Euros isn't a big demand.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:03 PM

That leads to an odd thought of buying an apartment. When you are in the Netherlands you use it. When you are not in the Netherlands you rent it out on AirBnB. Then you pay someone to be the part time manager / cleaner to qualify for DAFT?

Old 02-07-2022, 07:22 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,280 times
Quote:
That leads to an odd thought of buying an apartment. When you are in the Netherlands you use it. When you are not in the Netherlands you rent it out on AirBnB. Then you pay someone to be the part time manager / cleaner to qualify for DAFT?
Do you mean the rental apartment itself is the business investment? I would not do airbnb. When I was an expat in Amsterdam my employer arranged a corporate apartment. All professionals in the building. Those are better. With airbnb it's anybody.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:24 PM

Yes, I mean using the apartment as the business investment. It wasn't really a serious suggestion. On the other hand I have a couple of friends who have had great success as AirBnB hosts even though they are half a world away from their rental so perhaps it isn't as silly as it could be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe