Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 04:24 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

Scores of urns containing human ashes have been found dumped in a lake near the Swiss suicide clinic Dignitas.

One estimate puts the number discovered 30ft down on the bed of Lake Zurich at 300 or more.

Read more: Fury as 'up to 300 urns containing human remains from Dignitas suicide clinic are found at bottom of Lake Zurich' | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Other than the fact that whoever did this seems to have had no permission, what's the problem? If your Uncle Louie went to Dignitas to end his suffering from cancer, then it is up to Uncle Louie's relatives to give his remains the send-off that pleases them. Obviously there seems to have been quite a few folks whose "near and dear" didn't give a rat's fanny and left someone else to do the work.

Besides, is being dumped in a lake less respectful that being buried under a bunch of dirt and worms?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:23 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,623,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Other than the fact that whoever did this seems to have had no permission, what's the problem? If your Uncle Louie went to Dignitas to end his suffering from cancer, then it is up to Uncle Louie's relatives to give his remains the send-off that pleases them. Obviously there seems to have been quite a few folks whose "near and dear" didn't give a rat's fanny and left someone else to do the work.

Besides, is being dumped in a lake less respectful that being buried under a bunch of dirt and worms?
I agree. All those with loved ones who cared about them would have had their remains respectfully taken away to be put on a mantelpiece or disposed of.

There is nothing less respectful about being buried in a lake than being buried under 6 feet of earth or cremated in a creamtorium.

This seems to me like a perfect excuse for anti euthanasia campaigners to whip up some mass hysteria about Diginitas.

Those ashes were buried in urns which shows a certain amount of respect , all the ashes could have been mixed together and used as fertiliser for the grounds of Dignitas if the Clinic had been that callous .

Humans can be a little too touchy about the disposal of remains sometimes, a dead body is a dead body, ashes are ashes.

" Loved ones" can hardly be upset if they didn't even know that someone had gone to Dignitas or couldn't be bothered to pick up the remains or have them shipped home .

This seems a story about very little. I pray I never have to go to Dignitas ( I would prefer if the UK 's government grew up a little and accepted our basic right to die in dignity at home rather than having to travel to Switzerland) but if I do I could not care less if I end up at the bottom of a beautiful Swiss Lake. I wanted my ashes scattered over the Sea so not too far from what I wanted anyway.

I can see that relatives would get upset if the Clinic threw away ashes when specific orders to have those ashes repatriated had been given but it sounds to me as though the people whose ashes have been buried in the Lake had nobody who cared about them by the sound ot it.

Let's put it this way, if my husband went to Dignitas I would :
A) go with him for his final days and
B) ensure that I got the ashes myself in person to do as I wished with them

Old 04-29-2010, 07:42 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,326 times
^^
What kevxu and Mooseketeer said.

I'm thinking these people didn't have the support of their loved ones, for their decision, an extremely tough one, especially to have to make alone. Maybe they didn't even have loved ones. So their ashes went unclaimed. It's all rather sad. Dignitas certainly can't be expected to store so many urns of ashes.

Some of us wouldn't mind having our ashes placed in such a pretty spot.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
^^
What kevxu and Mooseketeer said.

I'm thinking these people didn't have the support of their loved ones, for their decision, an extremely tough one, especially to have to make alone. Maybe they didn't even have loved ones. So their ashes went unclaimed. It's all rather sad. Dignitas certainly can't be expected to store so many urns of ashes.

Some of us wouldn't mind having our ashes placed in such a pretty spot.
This is pretty much what I thought...and I agree, a lovely spot.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:41 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
I want to be cremated and my ashes to be "gone with the wind"... but bottom of a beautiful sea sounds great to me too... There is absolutely nothing wrong about it.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I want to be cremated and my ashes to be "gone with the wind"... but bottom of a beautiful sea sounds great to me too... There is absolutely nothing wrong about it.
After reading a bit more about this grand hoo-ha, I couldn't but smile at the fact that these urns were deposited offshore from a strip of lake side where the rich and famous have built splendid homes.

I suppose now that they know of the presence of these urns - even if unseen - in their lovely view this could be an unpleasant reminder of impermanence.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:23 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,998 times
Do Dignitas offer a customer satisfaction survey ?

Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,918,197 times
I have a problem with them using the Zurichsee. Lac Leman is much prettier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe