Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:50 PM

850 posts, read 3,715,277 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at countries to stay in for a year. I would love to go to other countries in the EU, but given that I'm a US citizen I'm subjected to the schengen visa restrictions, which only allows me 90 days of visitation. So, I'm just wondering what others' thoughts are on Albania.

From what I understand, Americans can visit up to a year without a visa. Is this correct? What's the cost of living there? What does a 1 bedroom apartment in Tirana cost? How about the cost of other necessities? Can anyone vouch for the internet speeds there? I will have most of my money saved, but I also have an internet business that I'll attend to occasionally.

A few people have mentioned that Albania is very poor. That's ok with me and a high standard of living is not a huge decision maker. Do you recommend other countries in Europe outside of the schengen zone?

Also, I heard that Albania applied to be a part of the EU. Do you see that happening in the near future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:53 PM

70 posts, read 172,450 times
my recommendation is almost always Montenegro especially if you love mountains and sea or Macedonia for awesome food practically for free

I can not speak for Albania since my opinion is from Serbian perspective and as such i cant paint a realistic picture

As for the European Union accession Serbia and Montenegro are the only two countries that are currently negotiating (the process will take years....)

Macedonia had became a candidate in 2005 but negotiations are blocked by Greece,

Albania submitted the application in 2009 but is still not a candidate

Bosnia has yet to meet all the criteria and submit EU application

Kosovo Is not recognized by all EU member states

Old 06-11-2014, 04:37 AM

257 posts, read 517,958 times
Why not to try Serbia? I have never been there, just travelled through the country maybe 12 years ago but for an American it would be a really cheap destination I guess which has on the other hand a lot to offer. I want to visit the country someday. However I am not sure about how Americans are treated there cause you guys or to be fair the US government caused lose of Kosovo - a holy place for most Serbs.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:41 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Well I don't understand why you choose Albania, as there are some other countries that you can also choose from in Europe such as UK, Serbia, Bosnia, Macedonia and Turkey as well. Yet if I made a choice out of the schengen zone I would choose the UK first then Serbia or Turkey.

In addition if you wish to live for a year overseas, if you are under 30 years old you can be eligible to have one year working visa in Australia.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:02 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Cost of living - you can compare it here:
Cost of Living Comparison Between Albuquerque, NM, United States And Tirana, Albania

Things you should know:
Relocation : Albania | Relocating to Tirana, Moving to Tirana, Expat Life, Cost of Living Tirana, Albania | Move One InMotion

Few other facts:
Albania Rising: Europe's Emerging Expat and Tax Haven? » Q Wealth
15 Things You Should Know Before Traveling to Albania | The Blonde Gypsy
50 Unique Observations about Albania | Holy Shqip Xhilli is in Albania
Expat Network Albania: Moving to, Working in, Living in Albania | LinkedIn
Christopher's Expat Adventure: Tirana, Albania
Jobs in Albania,Work Employment Opportunities,free posting site,job search for foreigners,Americans

What expats say:
http://www.easyexpat.com/forums/life...ia-t20721.html
Americans in Albania - American expats in Albania | InterNations.org
American Expats In Albania

Which country is best for me?
Which Country Is Best For Me?
http://www.bidstrup.com/expat.htm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...an-expatriate/
http://goo.gl/Y7X8c3

Last edited by elnina; 06-11-2014 at 05:11 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 01:53 PM

Thanks everybody. I'm wondering, why does nobody like Albania? I have yet to get a positive response. It looks like it has a beautiful coastline and it seems to be quite a bit less expensive than other European countries.

Montenegro looks beautiful. One reason I chose Albania is because I plan to go to an English congregation there, and it's the only one in the area that has one in English. Otherwise I would consider the others with more weight.

The UK is simply too expensive and so is Ireland. Jiri, I would love to see the Czech Republic, but unfortunately I would be limited to 90 days.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:54 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
Thanks everybody. I'm wondering, why does nobody like Albania? I have yet to get a positive response. It looks like it has a beautiful coastline and it seems to be quite a bit less expensive than other European countries.

Montenegro looks beautiful. One reason I chose Albania is because I plan to go to an English congregation there, and it's the only one in the area that has one in English. Otherwise I would consider the others with more weight.
Albania is not very well known, it's not a famous tourist destination either, and most parts of the 20th century it was quite isolated both politically and culturally.
But yes, Albania is very poor, with Ukraine and Moldova it's the overwhelmingly poorest country in Europe. The standard of living is only 30% of the EU average. You said that you don't mind poverty, but remember we are talking about a country where's the average wage is less than $500 a month, and only 15 years ago frequent power outages and horse-driven transport was the reality. In parts of Tirana the living conditions are still quite horrible, you can't drink tap water, and in the countryside you will experience levels of poverty you didn't know was possible in Europe in 2014. But if you're ok with it, go ahead. But personally, living for the first time abroad Albania would definitely not be the first place I'd consider.

But the people are very nice and friendly, food's good, nature beautiful, climate comfortable and I've heard it's a safe country despite the poverty.

Having English speaking people around is of course a bonus. Among the youth in Tirana probably quite many speak English, but I wouldn't bet on the 50 year-old police officer or nurse.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:05 PM

70 posts, read 172,450 times
Quote:

at one point Albania was more isolated than North Korea (Enver Hoxha was very paranoid and built over 700,000 bunkers)

Also when was the last time anyone saw anything positive about Albania. Many people when they think of Albania remember this legendary ship or organ trafficking or taken movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_VS5yoSYmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MQkv3QWHAk

Also Albanian civil war
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_rebellion_in_Albania

Old 06-12-2014, 12:21 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Thanks everybody. I'm wondering, why does nobody like Albania? I have yet to get a positive response.
Obviously you didn't check the links I posted. Most of the comments were positive.
It's a very poor and isolated country, but they are slowly progressing and people like you would be an asset.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Albania is not very well known, it's not a famous tourist destination either, and most parts of the 20th century it was quite isolated both politically and culturally.
That sounds fantastic! The fewer tourists the better.

Quote:
But yes, Albania is very poor, with Ukraine and Moldova it's the overwhelmingly poorest country in Europe. The standard of living is only 30% of the EU average. You said that you don't mind poverty, but remember we are talking about a country where's the average wage is less than $500 a month, and only 15 years ago frequent power outages and horse-driven transport was the reality. In parts of Tirana the living conditions are still quite horrible, you can't drink tap water, and in the countryside you will experience levels of poverty you didn't know was possible in Europe in 2014. But if you're ok with it, go ahead. But personally, living for the first time abroad Albania would definitely not be the first place I'd consider.
Thanks for your honesty. I'm not really going in as a tourist per say, so the conditions are something I'm willing to deal with. Many apartments I saw advertised were priced at $300 a month or so...how do the locals afford to live there if they're only making $500 a month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Obviously you didn't check the links I posted. Most of the comments were positive.
It's a very poor and isolated country, but they are slowly progressing and people like you would be an asset.
Your links weren't working for me at first, but I finally was able to open them. I really liked the two experiences of expats you posted. It really looks like a neat place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe