Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 02:11 PM

17 posts, read 53,352 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I am curious about the main topics appearing on Polish news stations or that are of concern to the Polish community now that are specific to the country. I am trying to write an essay regarding this in relation to my college major here in the US, but am having some trouble.

I'm going to major now in English Literature with two additional tracks in African American Studies and Museum/Curator studies but don't know about anything within Poland that is pertinent to any of the options. Does anyone know of anything that might?

A good example of how it would apply to the US is the problem with education - even on a college level, English professors are undecided on what exactly to teach now - should they teach from the old English canon of literature, or create a new one? etc. But that's just one issue that's really current, amongst other things such as how to actually fund grade school education with the country's dwindling funds.

I suppose I'm looking for something similar to that (not in topic, but its relationship to the country and its citizens themselves since it has to be something that is of great concern to them) but from Poland's point of view. Something in the area of categorized information would be fantastic also

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 08:29 PM

Just updating because after reading this, I've realized that my original post was pretty vague. :/ Sorry about that.

To be more specific about the question, I'm wondering if there are any issues surrounding the topic of literature being taught in grade schools/universities, or perhaps people's interaction with museums or monuments, aquariums or even libraries - are they having trouble funding them, how are records kept within them, etc.

Information on minority literature (it seems that I need direct contact with someone very familiar with this topic in order to ask whether or not there are Polish authors that just happen to also be Black, because of the research done, I've had a hard time finding anything on this - unless there's nothing to be found :P ) or certain travel literature (expats, travelers, exiles, etc) are possibilities too if something being discussed within the news nowadays has to do with it. Even the need for better interpreters or Polish literature translations/translators would be something worth looking into.

Another interesting fact that I've found out about the University of Silesia, concerning perhaps minority literature (?), for example, is the fact that they have a Canadian Studies Center, which is something I didn't expect to find.

I hope all of this helps when it comes to what I'm asking about! =D

Old 04-10-2010, 10:23 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
CNN: Polish president killed in plane crash

Polish President Lech Kaczynski was killed early Saturday along with his wife, several top military officials, and the head of the national bank when their plane crashed at a western Russian airport, officials said.
"There are no survivors," said Sergey Antufyev, the governor of Smolensk, where the plane was trying to land when it crashed. Russian emergency officials said 97 people died. Kaczynski was 60

Old 04-10-2010, 11:08 AM

Oh my gosh.. Oh dear, that made me tear up something awful...
Indeed... I imagine that's definitely going to shape the future of the country, that's for sure. T_T

Thank you, Seattlerain, for sending that. It's going to make me check the local/general news stations here tonight to see if they say anything about it. I surely hope they do, despite the tunnel vision we seem to have, at least as far as my local news station is concerned.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:10 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,675 times
Joseph Conrad was a Pole.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
Joseph Conrad was a Pole.
Very true, Gudra o.o
I wonder if I can do something regarding him, actually. That might be very interesting

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe