Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 AM

43 posts, read 138,621 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I appreciate everyone's help in making my trip as adventure-packed as possible. I'm gearing up for a grand time in ANC (5 days) and also Fairbanks (2 days)...One last question. I recently added Fairbanks to my itinerary, as I am DYING to see the AK Pipeline and hopefully increasing my chances of seeing the Aurora. Where in FB do I go to best view these? Am I able to access the Yukon River nearby for photo ops? Anything worthwhile viewing at UAF? Closest reputable hot springs?? Best hiking locations in the area? Any helpful input is appreciated.

Also I will be passing by Denali on my journey North to FB from ANC...I'm gathering it takes about 5 hours or so..??..Is it feasible to see any of the Park areas in a few hours? Best towns to stop and take in the scenery/hike?
Any AWESOME things to NOT MISS? C'mon Fairbanks people!! Put in your votes!! Thanks so much.

I am gleeful over with anticipation over this trip!! I'll be posting a trip report when I get back.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 10:13 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
You can drive north out of Fairbanks on the Dalton Highway...and go to the Yukon River. Also Chena Hot Springs is north of Fairbanks. I was there last month. I highly recomend stopping there. They have an outdoor pool surrounded by bolders. It's awesome! Not sure if you want to drive all the way to the Yukon...But it is a pretty drive. And you could do both in one day.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:01 AM

115 posts, read 615,664 times
I have not been to the springs but the map says it is a gravel road. The car rental agencies may have restrictions on where they will let you go with their car. The distance from ANC to Fairbanks is 576 miles and so you will want to allow about 11hours for travel and be sure to have a full gas tank. All those cities you see labeled on the map can be deceiving. I don't know what you expect to view with the pipeline but it is really just a big elevated pipe. The Tanana river in Fairbanks is a place where you could go to try your hand at panning for gold. If you have looked at the forward weather forecast you will see that the lows will be in mid 30's and dropping and did you notice RAIN so you probably won't even have a chance of viewing Denali and if you are going to hike dress for the weather!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:11 AM

The road to Chena Hot Springs is paved! And in very good shape!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:29 AM

1,396 posts, read 3,440,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earls View Post
The distance from ANC to Fairbanks is 576 miles and...

If you have looked at the forward weather forecast you will see that the lows will be in mid 30's and dropping and did you notice RAIN so you probably won't even have a chance of viewing Denali and if you are going to hike dress for the weather!
Anc to Fairbanks is 358 miles/576 kilometers.Travel Alaska - Alaska Road Map & Trip Distances

If you have fairly sunny weather around Denali Park, I highly recommend a flight seeing trip around the mountain range, the highlight of a previous trip of mine.....Fairbanks Alaska CVB : Travel Information, Hotels, Tours and Vacations

If you plan a few hour stop in Talkeetna and are interested in a flight seeing trip around Denali Park, about 2 hours, I recommend
Talkeetna Flightseeing Tour Options | K2 Aviation

The pipeline skirts around Fairbanks, a stop at the chamber of commerce would direct you to a road side stop of the pipeline.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:10 PM

115 posts, read 615,664 times
ah yes - red numbers = KM : blue numbers = miles I think Ive got it!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:31 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Most tourist stuff closes Sept. 15th!
The drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks for the sane is about 6 hours. I normally stop at Cantwell and top off the tank, strech the legs and potty break for those that need it. Hence why you buy some gas.
If the weather is good there is a pull off on the left side of the road heading north, but still south of the park to see the mountain. Most services are closed in the tourist area but you may see some things if you stop in at the PARK. You will have to of been drawn for a permit to drive very far into the park. I think the busses are done by now. But chat some people up and if your there early in the am you may be able to tag along with someone to drive back in. This will be an all day thing if your able to do it. Bring lunch, water and snacks. OH YEA CAMERA with Telephoto lens, 200mm zoom if you can!

In and around Fairbanks:
To see the pipeline, there is a free visitors center that you can drive to, it is about 9 miles north on the Steese hwy. It will be on your right at the bottom of a pretty high hill you will drive over. On your way back to fairbanks turn right on Hagelbagger rd. This is near the top of that hill I just told you about. There is a lookout that you can see the town and the valley from.

The Chena Hot Springs that Rance was talking of is out the Steese hwy also, but you Turn right onto Chena Hots Springs road and follow it to the end. 56 miles. Bring you swim suit too. The rock pool is great! On the way there is some camp grounds around 26 mile or so. Also farther out is the Angel rock and Granit tours hiking trail. Some people have gotten lost there but they have made lots of effort to improve the trail marking system. Chamber of commerace, or the hots springs should have maps of the trails. Hiking with a buddy is a good idea if you have one.

Aurora viewing this time of year is best where there isn't any light polution, and normally late at night. 11 pm to 2 am roughly. So you may see them if your driving at night on the way back from the springs or such. Even around town if you get in the hills on a clear night there are several places you can drive to and see them. Out the Parks hwy from Anchorage works pretty well.

A note on night driving, Keep your eyes peeled for moose, they don't look straight at the car so you wont see the classic two glowing eyes when you drive, they blend into the night so well that you may not see one till close. So always keep scanning the edges of the road and don't overdrive your headlights.

Well you can't come this far and not visit North Pole! It is about 13 miles south east on the Richardson highway. More of a whistle stop in some respects and full blown tourist trap at the Santa Claus house. I would suggest you get a few photos and continue your drive down the Richardson to Salcha and the Knotty shop. Lots of cool things there and the wild life outside is quite interesting. See photo.

Two ways to the Yukon River:
Steese Highway, or Elliot highway off the Steese in Fox.

Steese route turn right in Fox. (aobut 10 miles from Fairbanks, a couple miles north of the pipeline viewing.
I you decide to travel to the Yukon River understand you will be driving over a pass that if it is snowing and the wind blowing you can get snowed in on the other side or even stuck on the mountain. Check the road conditions at
</title><title>Road Weather Information, Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska
and
Alaska Road Traveler Information Service

Stop at Crabs corner (the cross roads) in Central for a cup of coffee and maybe a visit. I think Circle hots springs resort is still closed so you may not get to swim in an opympic sized outdoor pool in the cold. This place is old and I haven't been there for several years as it was closed a few years ago.

The Elliot way, is to not turn right in Fox and keep going straight. Both ways turn into gravel after a while. On the way out the Elliot at about 4 mile is the Hill top cafe, truckers stop to eat and you can't eat all the food served, the pie is great also.
Rnace if you ask him nicely might share more of the details of his trip north. You can drive accross the Yukon on this road all the way to Deahorse.

OH I almost forgot, Vist the museum at the University here, Cool stuff to see from Alaska's history!
Attached Thumbnails
Tip Me Off to Fairbanks! Pipeline? Hiking? Anything Else?-p8110005.jpg  

Old 09-19-2007, 08:45 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
If your driving the Parks Highway, keep an eye pealed for Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn. Just a dive, but I have a t-shirt from there. It's on the west side of the highway if I remember correctly. The Milepost guide will list it.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:57 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Skinny Dicks is about halfway between Nenana and Fairbanks.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:32 PM

Along the Yukon a couple weeks ago.

Denali from near Talkeetna area

Never do this along the road north of Fairbanks!

And the hotsprings rule!

Last edited by Rance; 09-19-2007 at 10:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks