Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,893 times

Advertisements

Well after 5 years of saving and planning we are headed to Fairbanks. We will be driving up within the next month. As we stand we are driving up to Bellingham WA then taking the ferry to either Whittier AK or into Anchorage proper. The real deciding factor is if the portage glacier highway is passable in December and January. The plan is to ship our household goods up as LTL freight and only load what we need / valuable stuff into the SUV on the way there. Also before I get flamed yes we have plenty of money, but we are going by car because we have two tiny ankle biter dogs and me and the wife both have a aversion to flying commercial flights. Any advise or experience on a like previous journey from you guys would be welcome.
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 04:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
When did the ferry start going to Anchorage?

I don't know whether your dogs are indoor or outdoor dogs, but you might want to invest in some booties for them for when they go outside. If they're mainly outdoor dogs, I'd suggest changing that, btw.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,893 times
well crap trying to manage to many thing at once i guess.
$1,218.00 One way (est.)

Depart: BELLINGHAM Friday, Jan 02 6:00 PM List of Fares Arrive: KETCHIKAN Sunday, Jan 04 7:00 AM Passengers: available Vessel: M/V Malaspina

Vehicles: available Duration: 1 day, 13hr, 0min

Cabins: available
Depart: KETCHIKAN Tuesday, Jan 06 2:45 PM List of Fares Arrive: WRANGELL Tuesday, Jan 06 8:45 PM Passengers: available Vessel: M/V Taku

Vehicles: available Duration: 6hr, 0min

Depart: WRANGELL Saturday, Jan 10 1:45 AM List of Fares Arrive: JUNEAU Saturday, Jan 10 5:45 PM Passengers: available Vessel: M/V Taku

Vehicles: available Duration: 16hr, 0min

Depart: JUNEAU Tuesday, Jan 13 1:30 AM List of Fares Arrive: WHITTIER Wednesday, Jan 14 2:30 PM Passengers: available Vessel: M/V Tustumena

Vehicles: Not Available Duration: 1 day, 13hr, 0min

Cabins: limited Total duration: 11 days, 20hr, 30min

WHITTIER is the last stop thats why I wanted to ask question! TY

Old 11-12-2014, 07:42 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,699,635 times
The highway from Whittier to Anchorage is passable year round. No worries on that one.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:03 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,619,432 times
As mentioned, the ferry docks in Whittier. The road to Anchorage will be open, unless we are in the middle of a large weather event.... Then you might be delayed some.
Since you'll be driving from Anchorage to Fairbanks for the first time, I'd suggest having a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner . It's a great guide to the drive.
You may already know this, but the dogs will stay in the vehicle on the ferry. At port stops and a few times a day you'll be allowed to access the car deck to care for them.
I love the ferry and would choose it every time. But it is more expensive and takes longer. And the ferry from Juneau to Whittier fills up fast, so book as soon as possible.
Congratulations on the move!!

Old 11-15-2014, 05:29 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,007,300 times
Last I looked there are only 3 ferry sailings to Whittier over the next several months. All of them in Jan. For those three trips a much smaller ferry has been substituted for the usual much larger ferry. It appears the example you posted has no space left for vehicles. There are two later sailings in Jan that still have space for vehicles. If you are really serious about taking the ferry to Whittier I would not wait too long as space is really limited and could sell out well in advance.

The highway from Whittier is maintained year round. If it does close it is usually only for a few hours while they clear a snow slide or something.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:45 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,525,838 times
How are your winter driving skills? Vehicle able to handle the cold? (Maybe you are very experienced with winter, but I wasn't and had to learn all about it)

I just drove a Uhaul from South Florida to Anchorage. It rained, it rained freezing rain, it snowed, heavy fog at times. The -20F rated windshield wiper fluid froze going over a mountain pass... If you follow a vehicle too closely your headlights get covered in mud/slush and don't "work". Stopped and wiped them off. We drove through roads that I wouldn't call plowed - although they are maintained. In reality, didn't have one issue made it in better time than in the summer... I was lucky in that we made it up BEFORE this last round of snow hit the lower 48. Traffic was very light compared the summer drives I have done and the roads were MUCH better too. All the construction stoppages (except for one) were done. The frost heaves coming across destruction bay/beaver creek were not nearly as bad as they are in the summer.

Milepost is good to have - if anything it helps you find places to stay and fuel up. Not to worry you as there is plenty of fuel along the way, as long as you stop and fill up when you see a gas station and you are at 1/2 tank or less. I brought extra fuel, because I don't like paying $1.79 a liter in the remote Canadian areas. And when you are getting 6-8 mpg it makes a $100 - $200 difference.

If you decide to drive and go into Canada, make sure you know what you can bring and what you can't. If you have a criminal or DUI past research whether you can legally enter or not. You'll need some vet certs for the dogs - usually a health and rabies certificate, which I think you may even need for the Ferry. And Canada just rolled out a new fangled portable GAMMA X-RAY machine that x-rays your entire vehicle. They did this to my Uhaul. (It will be done without occupants or pets as Gamma Rays aren't good for the living)

Many of us here have done the drive numerous times and are happy to help you out. My road information is only 2 weeks old at the moment. Even though I am in Anchorage, there is only one driving route in, you'll just take a different way out of Tok, AK.

I have never gone the Ferry way - as driving was so much cheaper (even with the high fuel bill) and I was on a budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks