Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 06:05 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Well, there is this series of photos:
Ford could use those photos in advertising... Those 1980's Bronco's were the best years for that model IMO. They fetch quite a price these days if you can find one, and now good for Polar Bear aversion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
A friend's father once escaped a grizzly bear in the Brooks range by running down a steep stream embankment. The bear decided not to pursue.
Indeed! Bears generally have huge/heavy back ends with powerful hind legs and taper down in the mid and upper body and head. You can see this clearly in Northrick's pictures with the PB. When traveling down a steep slope the momentum and weight of the back end can overtake the front, making this type of fast travel a dicey proposition for them, especially if there are trees, brush, briar, undergrowth, rocks/boulders, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Seafood would be their preferred diet but they are opportunistic eaters as well.
Seafood my favorite too! My most memorable dish was a bowl of Nova Scotia Seafood Chowder with scallops, haddock, lobster and potatoes in a milk/cream sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 03:01 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
The bear was in poor health, but didn't have pathogens.

Quote:
Polar bear in fatal Wales attack was in poor health

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A polar bear that killed a young mother and her baby last month in western Alaska was likely an older animal in poor physical condition, but tests came back negative for pathogens that affect the brain and cause aggressive behavior, officials said Monday.

Dr. Kimberlee Beckmen, a state wildlife veterinarian, collected and examined samples from the bear’s head the day after the attack, when weather conditions allowed her and an Alaska State Trooper to fly to the village.

The results of her analysis, which were released Monday but initially were dated Feb. 3, indicate the bear was an adult male, probably older and in poor physical health. Officials sent a tooth to a lab to determine the bear’s age, but those results won’t be known for months.
Polar bear in fatal Wales attack was in poor health - Alaska Public Media

Old 02-08-2023, 04:27 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
While it’s not clear why the bear attacked,

" Maybe it was hungry ? " and humans are in the way?

Reporters need to cover all the bases.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:43 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
When I lived in Churchill, MB many years ago, it was fairly common to see ten bears sitting in the garbage dump waiting on the trucks to arrive. One year we had an aggressive bear - previously caught and tagged - who would stick her head into any window she could find looking for a tasty morsel. If you happened to be sitting by that window, she'd get you. Only happened once after that the mounties launched evening patrols going up and down the roads looking for bears. Polars love all kinds of meat, white and dark, belugas, seals, man
I can fly or drive to Winnipeg within 7 hours, then take the train to Churchill to see these bears. Would you recommend winter or summer? I watched the Baird brothers 30 day float of the Seal river on YouTube. Onnce they reached the bay they were told to stay in a cabin on the beach as they came across many bears. Is it worth taking this many day trip to see them in the wild? A friend who lives in his van traveling 100k miles per year came across one in the woods across a small bay in Newfoundland. It was eyeing him up the entire time, the pictures were awesome (he’s a filmmaker/photographer) but it began moving towards him so he left in his van quickly.

Old 02-08-2023, 12:32 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I can fly or drive to Winnipeg within 7 hours, then take the train to Churchill to see these bears. Would you recommend winter or summer? I watched the Baird brothers 30 day float of the Seal river on YouTube. Onnce they reached the bay they were told to stay in a cabin on the beach as they came across many bears. Is it worth taking this many day trip to see them in the wild? A friend who lives in his van traveling 100k miles per year came across one in the woods across a small bay in Newfoundland. It was eyeing him up the entire time, the pictures were awesome (he’s a filmmaker/photographer) but it began moving towards him so he left in his van quickly.
Your best chance to spot them will be in the fall as they congregate near shore waiting for sea ice to form. The rest of the year they scatter. Once the sea ice forms they move farther offshore to hunt. According to the link below there are more and less remote, time-consuming, expensive bear viewing options.

Doesn't sound as if you need to use up "many days" of your life just to see them if you time it right. Considering that fewer polar bears are surviving as polar sea ice declines, you'll need to decide for yourself if the opportunity to observe such an endangered species is important enough to you.

https://www.travelmanitoba.com/blog/...rime%20viewing.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-08-2023 at 12:43 PM..

Old 02-08-2023, 02:00 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Your best chance to spot them will be in the fall as they congregate near shore waiting for sea ice to form. The rest of the year they scatter. Once the sea ice forms they move farther offshore to hunt. According to the link below there are more and less remote, time-consuming, expensive bear viewing options.

Doesn't sound as if you need to use up "many days" of your life just to see them if you time it right. Considering that fewer polar bears are surviving as polar sea ice declines, you'll need to decide for yourself if the opportunity to observe such an endangered species is important enough to you.

https://www.travelmanitoba.com/blog/...rime%20viewing.
Agree. Also Churchill is located in Canada, so he would have to check about visiting Churchill to watch the bears with Canada.

https://www.travelmanitoba.com/churchill/

Old 02-08-2023, 02:27 PM

2,047 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Been thinking about doing something similar, except going to Kaktovik, AK. Over 25 years of living in AK I haven't seen a polar bear in the wild and would like to.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:21 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Agree. Also Churchill is located in Canada, so he would have to check about visiting Churchill to watch the bears with Canada.

https://www.travelmanitoba.com/churchill/
Haha oh hell no…the last pic on the right with group of people outside and two Bears wrestling.

Other note, I’m half Canadian. Just waiting on my citizenship papers now.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Haha oh hell no…the last pic on the right with group of people outside and two Bears wrestling.

Other note, I’m half Canadian. Just waiting on my citizenship papers now.
Anything is possible, but you still have to check with the Canadians in Churchill, which should not be a problem since you are half-way there already

Old 02-08-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Been thinking about doing something similar, except going to Kaktovik, AK. Over 25 years of living in AK I haven't seen a polar bear in the wild and would like to.
I knew a young lady who was working at UAF a few years ago who was from Kaktovik, and she showed me numerous photos of polar bears she took with her cellphone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks