Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 16,752 times

Advertisements

What kind of pants, what kind of shirts, and what other than just those should one wear(for example: thermal underwear)? What material is the best? Wool? Down? Or possibly something that doesn't come from an animal?

And does the answer vary if one plans to be outside a significant portion of the time?

And is walking ever a good idea there, or should everything be limited to vehicular travel? And how good is public transportation there?

Also, are there many dangerous storms or other natural disasters?

Oh, and what's the cost of heating an apartment there like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 04:54 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carajg View Post
What kind of pants, what kind of shirts, and what other than just those should one wear(for example: thermal underwear)? What material is the best? Wool? Down? Or possibly something that doesn't come from an animal?

And does the answer vary if one plans to be outside a significant portion of the time?

And is walking ever a good idea there, or should everything be limited to vehicular travel? And how good is public transportation there?

Also, are there many dangerous storms or other natural disasters?

Oh, and what's the cost of heating an apartment there like?
I live and work in Grand Forks and have been here since 1998. Having known many transplants coming to the area over the years at my work (National Weather Service)....I would say it strongly depends on your job and how much time you want to spend outside.

If you have to work outside in construction or you are a farmer who has to get out everyday no matter what...then what you would need would be drastically different than the everyday person who has a job inside a heated building and parks his car at night inside a garage and his/her trips outside are mainly to/from the car for shopping or for occasionally taking the kids sledding.

I caution anyone moving here to not go crazy and buy stuff before you arrive and see how your body reacts to very cold temperatures. Clothing up here is going to be much better suited for cold weather than if you buy it down south.

I am cold tolerant and thus for me in most days....my outdoor time is limited to going from the car to office door or car to the grocerty store and back. I dont like to wear lots of thick coats, etc just for those short times outside. I do keep heavier coats and extra blankets in the car in case something happens and that is what we all do have a supply kit in case we get stranded...even if just in town.

I have one heavy coat....but one with two layers....with the first layer underneath to prevent sweat to getting to the outer layer ior vice/versa Columbia brand coats is one major brand people wear. I do know own any thermal underwear. I do own ski pants or insulated pants I pull over regular jeans while snowblowing or while sledding to keep moisture from getting to the legs I do have a pair of decent snow boots, but only wear those if really needed....otherwise regular hiking type shoes/boots are fine.

Of course a hat and gloves are important. Some have scarfs for the neck....and there are neck warmers I do where while snowblowing the driveway or if outside a long time.

Now for all this clothing it would have to be decently cold....below say 10 above. For 20s....I wouldnt need so much...just a regular medium weight coat and gloves and maybe hat....that's it.

I dont know about public transport in Fargo....but while I am sure adequate most days....I would say a car is a very nice thing to have.... walking in the winter to places can be dangerous...depends on how high the piles are along the side of the road and degree of sidewalk cleaning.

Fargo is in an area of challenging weather conditions with frequent changes day to day. Spring time flooding can occur along the Red River but that only impacts a very very small part of the city...and with flood protection built up now it is even less of an issue for most. Tornado and hail storms can occur....but not frequent. Our severe weather season in the summer is usually early June to mid August.

Heating costs would vary greatly. Some apartments have electric heat and may include that in the price of rent. For apartment heating with natural gas....I have heard pretty cheap less than 50 a month.... all depends so much on many factors such as unit condition, etc. I have a large house and our gas price for heat runs 150-160/mo. with temp at 69.

--Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo