Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 04:38 PM

97 posts, read 353,297 times

Advertisements

I am (probably) going to be attending NDSU in the Fall. I have been looking for some nice apartments ($1000+/month) and/or even some $200,000+ houses.

Here is what I have learned about Fargo:

- There are only two types of houses in Fargo: Very old (1920-1940) houses and new "clone" mass produced houses and townhouses which are always split-level.

- Apparently Fargo has never heard of central air, because EVERY apartment or house I have looked at has baseboard heat and those air conditioners that stick out of the wall.

- Fargo must get amazing deals on those cupboards that are white on the front and wood-looking around the borders. They are the ugliest cupboards I have ever seen in my life and every apartment (and a lot of houses) have them.

Not related to housing, but another problem with Fargo I have:

- High-speed internet in Fargo is a joke. CableOne is not up to date with the times and looking at their highest speeds... yikes. In fact, CableOne limits bandwidth usage, I was reading. If you use more than 1 GB of bandwidth in a day they will greatly reduce their already slow speeds. As far as pricing is concerned, even though they offer slower speeds, they are still more expensive than Midcontinent or any other cable provider is. (DSL or satellite/wireless Internet is never an option because it is always worse/slower than cable.) I know that Midco is in West Fargo now... I wish they would takeover Fargo too, because they are better in every way, shape, or form.

Sorry for this rant, but I operate an online business and it is a little ridiculous to me that a city the size of Fargo is so behind with technology.

These four issues just have my head spinning. I would love to stay close to my family, but...

I don't expect supportive replies to this thread because I can only assume the reason these four issues remain issues is because Fargo residents do not care.

Just venting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 04:56 PM

56 posts, read 184,544 times
If you are seriously looking at a $200,000 home - then just remodel a place that will work for you and bring it up to your standards.

Sounds like your business would suffer if you moved to Fargo, so I would say pick somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: