Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:35 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,490,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Kinda like America, amirite? Alotta people here don't seem to have very much patience for foreigners who can't speak English that well either. Don't mean to offend anyone lol, just pointing out a funny lil truth.
No, I wouldn't agree with that. Americans are fascinated by foreign tourists. We go to great lengths to accommodate their language difficulties. It is illegal aliens that Americans have no patience for. They want to have school in Spanish and want to drive without being able to read the signs. But even these interlopers get better treatment here than we do in Europe.

If most Europeans did not already speak English and desperately need our money, it would be intolerable to travel there. They are insulted that we Americans have not taken the time to learn the 10 or 15 languages we would need to learn to communicate in other than in English with the locals, as though that would be a reasonable thing to do. Spain alone has several distinct languages that fluent Spanish would not help. Want to try to speak German or French to a Serbian?

They are idiots over there. We have a universal language and it is English. If they don't like it, then they should close the international gates on their airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:38 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,916 times
Could we get back to the topic, please?

Old 08-18-2010, 12:18 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times
Not perfectly on topic, but did you ever experience a country in which the women seemed lovely, but the men, not so much?

Turkey, Iran, maybe?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:45 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,022,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Not perfectly on topic, but did you ever experience a country in which the women seemed lovely, but the men, not so much?

Turkey, Iran, maybe?
Yes. Estonia.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:25 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,307,727 times
It's the accent. Maybe even the cool sophisticated persona that was tagged on them many decades ago. I've never found French people as a mass any more physically attractive than others.

But the English have the affectual accent, too. As well as the cool "hip" reputation that originated in the 60's and stayed.

Russian women tend to be very physically beautiful, I think, but I prefer to listen to the "accent" from the men.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:58 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Every country has beautiful women, and I don't think France has a monopoly on this. Frankly, the five most beautiful women that I have ever seen in person were in Wauwatosa, WI, Santa Clara, CA, Stanford bookstore on campus, State College, PA, and San Francisco.

I managed to marry the one I met in PA.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:04 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
America because of the melting pot seem to produce some very beautiful example of the human animal .

Nobody in my experience has a monopoly on having gorgeous women ( I am a French woman and my only comment on French woman is that with Italian and Spanish women I feel they are more appreciated until much later in their older years and as such tend to feel more sexy and thus do not give up as a lot of other women do in countries where age =beauty - my husband always comments on French and Italian women looking sexy in their 50s, 60s even later sometimes).

French ( and Italian and Spanish) women are not put to pasture once they hit their late twenties. The culture still appreciates that one can be beautiful and a little more advanced in years.

I find the American and Anglo-Saxon obsession with you as being a little bizarre. Beauty and Sexiness are not age relative IMO.

My Father who travelled the world always told me the most beautiful women to him had been Icelandic women and Tahitian women ( though he put a caveat on the latter "before they have children" which I thought was horribly sexist and awful).

I thought Estonian and Russian women were stunning but "way too tarty and blingy" according to Hubby who likes more simple beauties. Scandinavian women really are gorgeous . In a simple unadorned way as well which can make the average woman feel a little inadequate !

To be honest though Beauty is found everywhere, Middle Eastern Women are beautiful as are African women. To me beauty is a complex mix of physical attributes, confidence and sexiness. There has to be more than simple bone structure or great body.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:43 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I'm french, and I sometimes hear some things from american women as "French women are great, so beautiful, so stylish".In the US you can find some books about french women, an obsession.
But honestly I don't understand why, because I live here since my birth (23 years) and I don't live in the US again (soon)..And I can say french women aren't really so special, that wasn't different in other countries I visited (UK, USA/California, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Russia), they're not more beautiful or stylish than other women, they buy more underwears and wears but that's all.Moreover they're really superficial, and most of attractive women aren't available because they're not able to be single more than 1 week, it's so ridiculous..
I must be honest :Young Russian women are much more beautiful and sexy
I absolutely agree with you. Actually, it applies to France as a whole. Why do people make such a fuss about Paris? I would not want to live there even if they paid me to.
I guess it is a myth, many countries benefit or suffer from such myths.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
No country has a monopoly on beauty, but I agree with Moose that there is less ageism in France.

I also think many French women rely far less on makeup.
They have little to hide. What you see is what you get.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:34 AM

432 posts, read 3,660,287 times
One reason:

Alizee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty