Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times

Advertisements

I have lived with chronic chapped lips for much of my life thanks to a medication side effect. They are always peeling and sometimes cracked and bleeding, even in the depths of our humid summer. I can't wear any lip color because it builds up in the flakes and calls attention to them. I have tried all sorts of products to deal with this and most products actually make them worse. The ones that don't make it worse can add moisture but don't do anything to stop the peeling. Scrubs make my lips burn but don't stop the peeling either.

I finally found something that actually works. Clinique's "All About Lips." I am sitting here right now with my lips BARE and they are perfectly smooth and comfortable. This product normalized them within three uses. I am completely amazed. This is the first time I have been able to go without applying balm and not have my lips crack immediately. It ain't cheap but it's worth every penny in my book. It is a chemical exfoliant (not a lip balm) and since it is safe for lips I can also use it at my lipline where the lip balm clogs my pores but normal exfoliants burn. Love this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
I use Philosophy's Kiss Me Tonight and it works great also.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Wish something like this has been available 40 years ago. I used to have the same problem the OP has but for some odd reason, it has pretty much disappeared as I've gotten older. I still use a lot of lip balm as my lips feel very dry if I don't but they no longer crack, dry up and peel like they did in my earlier years.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 AM

418 posts, read 1,349,445 times
When this happens .. I just wash and moisturize my face and put an antibiotic around the lips before bed.
It works for sore noses when colds or allergies cause discomfort.
It is great for children too as most repairs are done over night.

As yours is caused by medication .. this may not be the answer for you.
But most chapped lips are caused by bacteria in saliva.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:12 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Bert's Bee's Lip Shimmer. It works as a chapstick as well as gives you shiny & sparkly lips.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
But most chapped lips are caused by bacteria in saliva.
I understood that it is due to the enzymes in saliva. Your solution with the antibiotic ointment would probably work just as well with simple Vaseline or Aquaphor.

I understand that most people do not need an exfoliant and regular lip balm works fine. I just posted this in case there are others out there that conventional moisturization therapies do not work for.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:19 AM

556 posts, read 2,087,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I have lived with chronic chapped lips for much of my life......I finally found something that actually works. Clinique's "All About Lips." I am sitting here right now with my lips BARE and they are perfectly smooth and comfortable......Love this stuff.
tilli - glad you found something that works for you!!!! I too have 'issues' with chapped lips and I use Hawaiian Tropic Aloe Vera 45+ Sunscreen Lip Balm which works well for me. Along with the chapped lips, I get coldsores easily in early morning sun exposure, so this high spf protects me from the sun's evil rays Thanks for sharing what works for you!!! I might have to check that out....do you purchase it a department store?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
do you purchase it a department store?
Yes - at the Clinique counter, but I am sure there are online sources as well. I am using it once in the morning and once at night.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,961 times
I've been hooked on chapstick for over ten years. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2010, 11:40 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
I use la mer for lips....mine were very chapped due to medications, and this cured them immediately!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty