Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 12:57 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,290,779 times

Advertisements

Scientific research has proven Olay Regenerist ineffective. It has not been shown to reduce or prevent wrinkles. It is a nice, standard moisturizer & nothing more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Problem is you don't differentiate between facts and your own opinion. Oil of Olay may not have worked for you. Fine. It may work perfectly well for others. Also fine. That doesn't make your experience or opinion more valid than anyone elses. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your holding an opinion but the way you tout it and constantly dismiss the opinions and experiences of others is uncalled for and condescending

....Says who? That is your OPINION. Not fact.

Or....it may...

Meh...some parts of our culture are and in other ways, not. Aging boomers mean that larger portion of our population is getting older....and they are often the ones with money and power. Not all culture revolves around Hollywood. As shocking as that may be to some....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 03:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,231,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
... than I looked at 35 when I first started losing my looks.
Well, that right there is the difference between the two of us. I haven't lost my looks. Which sounds like I'm bragging, but when my DH pats me on the arse and says, "Lookin' good babe!" I figure I still got it.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:34 PM

You & your husband's standards may be different. I haven't lost my looks so much as I no longer pass for 20s on a regular basis. I passed for 20 something till the day I turned 35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, that right there is the difference between the two of us. I haven't lost my looks. Which sounds like I'm bragging, but when my DH pats me on the arse and says, "Lookin' good babe!" I figure I still got it.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
You & your husband's standards may be different.
He works in the movie industry. And he works with some of the most beautiful women on the planet on a daily basis. Since you pay so much attention to A-lists and such I can assure you his standards are pretty high. Bless his heart.

You know, I feel kind of bad for you. You are NEVER going to look 20 again. Neither am I. But I'm just fine with that. But I know you aren't. I wish you had, I don't know, inner peace or something. Because no product in the world is going to turn back the clock for you. There isn't enough Retin-A on the shelves to make you look 20. And why should you WANT to look 20? At 20 most of us are still ugly ducklings with potential. There's a lot to be said for maturity and turning into a swan that still turns heads.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-30-2011 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-30-2011, 05:04 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,820,877 times
Quote:
He works in the movie industry. And he works with some of the most beautiful women on the planet on a daily basis. I can assure you his standards are pretty high. Bless his heart.

Neither am I. But I'm just fine with that.
^^^^^^ This lady has a lot of self-esteem and confidence, without needing to reassure herself all the time. If you still have the looks, you know it.

Also, to hold the attention of any real husband, imo, you need a very good brain along with the looks. Beauty is great, but unless the husband is old and ugly and looking for a shallow trophy wife, beauty only goes so far. Being beautiful is great, but being beautiful and interesting, now that is awesome.

I am betting her husband is right, she looks very good, but not 20. Who wants to be married to someone full of insecurity, always trying to look younger, younger, all the time?! He is a lucky guy...

And I would risk saying when she turns 70, her husband will still say the same. She will look a darn good 70-year-old lady then.

It is a confidence thing.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:16 PM

No neecd to condescend to me DewDropInn. I'm very much on the right path and know what needs to change. And I'm keeping the Retin-a as an INSURANCE POLICY. That is what it is.

Of course I will never look 20 again. But it sure was nice to pass for 28 for so long. You'll never be able to admit the uptick in ageism because you are probably inured to it. How nice for you.

Quote:
He works in the movie industry. And he works with some of the most beautiful women on the planet on a daily basis. Since you pay so much attention to A-lists and such I can assure you his standards are pretty high. Bless his heart.

You know, I feel kind of bad for you. You are NEVER going to look 20 again. Neither am I. But I'm just fine with that. But I know you aren't. I wish you had, I don't know, inner peace or something. Because no product in the world is going to turn back the clock for you. There isn't enough Retin-A on the shelves to make you look 20. And why should you WANT to look 20? At 20 most of us are still ugly ducklings with potential. There's a lot to be said for maturity and turning into a swan that still turns heads.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
No neecd to condescend to me DewDropInn. I'm very much on the right path and know what needs to change. And I'm keeping the Retin-a as an INSURANCE POLICY. That is what it is.

Of course I will never look 20 again. But it sure was nice to pass for 28 for so long. You'll never be able to admit the uptick in ageism because you are probably inured to it. How nice for you.
I can ASSURE you I was not trying to be condescending and if you think I was I apologise.

As always, posts on an internet board cannot show facial expressions and tone of voice and a thousand other emotions. Was it the Retin-A comment? That wasn't meant to say you are beyond repair. (I mean I have NO idea what you look like. For all I know you are drop dead gorgeous.) That was meant to say I don't believe that buying a specific product is going to give ANY of us the fountain of youth.

If you feel you need to change, more power to you. I know I am older than you. Maybe I just have a few more years of experience that tells me that, at some point, we just need to feel good in out own skin. Even if it has a few wrinkles.

And stretch marks.

And things I don't talk about in public, lol.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:32 PM

I talk about my skincare so it will help others. Young people are terrified of aging... I read about it virtually every board I post on. I was cavalier in my 20s-- did things like the vegan diet, didn't wear sunscreen, didn't start Retin-a, etc. The veganism dug a hole for me before I was even 30. I focused heavily on diet and exercise in my 30s but started spending time outdoors in my mid 30s....
It is so much harder to look your age as it used to be-- celebrities are partly to blame, and the media. I haven't bought in to it hook line and sinker-- I won't pay a Botox bill, thanks, would rather travel or buy shoes--but I have had to put some effort in to reversing the damage because I'm one of those women who has to work for a living... and it doesn't look like the economy is going to get any better. I haven't placed all my eggs in the looks basket but it is hard-- I am doing what I have to in order to survive. And, I'm HAPPIER since I started taking better care of myself. My self esteem is much higher so I'm sticking with it.
Quote:
I can ASSURE you I was not trying to be condescending and if you think I was I apologise.

As always, posts on an internet board cannot show facial expressions and tone of voice and a thousand other emotions.

If you feel you need to change, more power to you. I know I am older than you. Maybe I just have a few more years of experience that tells me that, at some point, we just need to feel good in out own skin. Even if it has a few wrinkles.

And stretch marks.

And things I don't talk about in public, lol.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
celebrities are partly to blame, and the media.... would rather travel or buy shoes--...but I have had to put some effort in to reversing the damage because I'm one of those women who has to work for a living... and it doesn't look like the economy is going to get any better. I am doing what I have to in order to survive. And, I'm HAPPIER since I started taking better care of myself. My self esteem is much higher so I'm sticking with it.
You bet celebrities are to blame. Well, their publicists.

I'm glad you explained yourself. I was having trouble figuring out where you were coming from while reading your posts for these past few weeks. I absolutely know what it means to have to work for a living. (Do I ever.) And I understand what you are saying about having to look good and improve yourself if you didn't do that when you were younger. I want you to feel good about yourself.

And the shoes and the travel? I totally agree. And jewelry.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:45 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,399,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I just turned 42 and I haven't reached my peak yet (sexually that is. )

Looks-wise, I think I saw the most significant changes at around 38-39.
42??? You are BSing right????
Damn, you look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty