Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:37 PM

230 posts, read 621,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Since I've been hidden under a rock and never noticed anything about the Olsen's other than those enormous Jackie O sunglasses... Can you post a few photos? I would seriously like to see what's in their line that has been such an influence.

(Glad to hear the hard working reference. All I've heard is hard playing.)
You can check out The Row website for their 2011 Spring/Summer line:

The Row

It's high-end beautifully cut basics but the tailoring is what makes the line stand out.

Their more accessible line and one that I love the most is Elizabeth & James:

Elizabeth and James

I'm a big fan of how they use fabrics - and they're very on-trend.

There is also Olsenboye, their JcPenney line. Not too special but well-made and affordable.

With that said, Mk Olsen will forever be known as the pioneer of boho-chic. Not my favorite look, but it was certainly a movement of its own. Also, I'm just bit older than the Olsens (I think) and I couldn't imagine running a business like they do at my age. They came to our company to look at t-shirts and they were on time at 8am, went through everything with the pattern-makers, asked questions about everything, and stayed pretty late. By that point, I was exhausted and ready to go grab a drink and relax, they were ready to go meet their business manager(s) for more meetings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon2020 View Post
You can check out The Row website for their 2011 Spring/Summer line:

The Row

It's high-end beautifully cut basics but the tailoring is what makes the line stand out.

Their more accessible line and one that I love the most is Elizabeth & James:

Elizabeth and James

I'm a big fan of how they use fabrics - and they're very on-trend.

There is also Olsenboye, their JcPenney line. Not too special but well-made and affordable.

With that said, Mk Olsen will forever be known as the pioneer of boho-chic. Not my favorite look, but it was certainly a movement of its own. Also, I'm just bit older than the Olsens (I think) and I couldn't imagine running a business like they do at my age. They came to our company to look at t-shirts and they were on time at 8am, went through everything with the pattern-makers, asked questions about everything, and stayed pretty late. By that point, I was exhausted and ready to go grab a drink and relax, they were ready to go meet their business manager(s) for more meetings!
I dont mean to bust your chops....but seriously......Olsen+2 are known for their tailoring?
Really.......I think not.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I dont mean to bust your chops....but seriously......Olsen+2 are known for their tailoring?
Really.......I think not.
uhhhh, have you tried on the pieces from The Row? If I had $1,500 to drop on a pair of pants, I totally would.
While it might not be your style, the cut and stitching are impeccable (their t-shirts have french seams instead of cheap flat felled seams), can't see how you could disagree with that.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
uhhhh, have you tried on the pieces from The Row? If I had $1,500 to drop on a pair of pants, I totally would.
While it might not be your style, the cut and stitching are impeccable (their t-shirts have french seams instead of cheap flat felled seams), can't see how you could disagree with that.
I've seen their stuff, I've sewn my whole life, my moms side of the family (plus my DHs mom) were custom tailors.
I've seen nothing that impresses me.
Again, I dont mean to downgrade your opinion, but I see what I, and the workmanship impresses me not.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I've seen their stuff, I've sewn my whole life, my moms side of the family (plus my DHs mom) were custom tailors.
I've seen nothing that impresses me.
Again, I dont mean to downgrade your opinion, but I see what I, and the workmanship impresses me not.
Out of curiosity, what is your basis of comparison?

Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what is your basis of comparison?
I stated my comparisons on the state of their workmanship in the post you quoted.
Was there something I said that you didnt understand?

Old 03-14-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I stated my comparisons on the state of their workmanship in the post you quoted.
Was there something I said that you didnt understand?
I'm just trying to see if you are comparing their workmanship to a couture collection or to a line that's priced the same. Don't mean to offend, we can agree to disagree, I'm just curious and always looking to learn more so if there are stitching techniques or particular cuts that you think set a collection above others, please share. I found The Row to be great off-the-rack but I can't sew to save my life and generally just compare everything to the lines that we produce at the company I work at.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:39 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Nope!
They have several successful fashion lines and run a multi-billion dollar fashion industry. They're more successful then several couture houses! Their collections are beautiful and they've definitely been a huge influence in the industry. Not to mention that those girls are the hardest working 20somethings I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with.

But anyway. I vote for Edie Sedgwick to this list.
Oh, I know what they're doing now. But a huge piece of their fortune comes from years of shilling Walmart stuff. Their names and faces were on clothes, hair accessories, beauty products, bedroom decor, art supplies, etc. And it's not like either of them is really designing this stuff now. I think some of it is very pretty, but as for Mary-Kate's personal style, she's a poseur. Bohemians are starving artists, and "dumpster chic" is a paradox.

In 50 years, women will still be talking about Jackie O and Audrey Hepburn. Mark-Kate Olsen is a flash in the pan because she's quirky, and unfortunately she will always be tied to Full House and Walmart. I do think it's great that both of them became successful people, unlike many other child stars.

Last edited by JustJulia; 03-14-2011 at 05:48 AM..

Old 03-14-2011, 09:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Thank you for posting the links movingsoon.

There were a couple of pieces that made me say, "Oh, yes, Please!" Others not so much.

(The blue trench coat was my favorite. Just enough off the classic style to be different without making me think the circus had come to town.)

Old 03-14-2011, 01:01 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
No, the Olsen Wal-Mart line ended *several years ago*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty