Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times

Advertisements

Those days are OVER my friends. If I hear of anyone referring to fashion models as anorexic or having bodies of "12 year old boys" they should definitely be SHOT. People who say that are either old 50s or older or just jealous of how models look.

YouTube - fashiontv | FTV.com - Qiss Qiss Spring Summer 2011 Miami Swim Fashion Week

YouTube - FTV | fashiontv.com - Etam, Lingerie, Sexy Models on the Catwalk

Nothing anorexic or "boyish" about any of these women. THIS is how models look now days. Very difficult to beat 1:41 to 1:48.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 05-03-2011 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:02 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Some models look good; there have always been some who have.

There are models on Amazon.com right now, modeling swimsuits, that look like they are DYING of starvation. So you still can find both.

And what the hell is wrong with being in the 50's or older?? Life begins at 40, hun!

Old 04-13-2011, 11:09 PM

420 posts, read 877,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Those days are OVER my friends. If I hear of anyone referring to fashion models as anorexic or having bodies of "12 year old boys" they should definitely be SHOT. People who say that are either old 50s or older or just jealous of how models look.

YouTube - fashiontv | FTV.com - Qiss Qiss Spring Summer 2011 Miami Swim Fashion Week

YouTube - FTV | fashiontv.com - Etam, Lingerie, Sexy Models on the Catwalk

Nothing anorexic or "boyish" about any of these women. THIS is how models look now days. Very difficult to beat 1:41 to 1:48.
Well, sorry if it bothers you to hear it from someone who's "old 50s, young life. But thats just what these lil gals look like to me: anorexic and boyish. And I can assure you that I have absolutely no reason at all to feel jealous of how models look. Lol.. But dont trip. In case you forgot, being in ones 50's or disagreeing with your taste, is still legal...Lol

Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Lots of skinny models still out there.

THE ROW - Kimpon Leather Pants - Bergdorf Goodman

Is Miu Miu model too skinny? - Fashion Features - Yahoo!7 Lifestyle

By the way, the second one says the model looks "emancipated." LOL.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:39 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,583 times
I think most of the models now are way too thin to be considered truly healthy (my nutritionist would have a seizure if I were that thin). I blame it on the "heroin chic" look of the mid/late 90's that came into vogue. I think it's just an off shoot of that era.

I have seen a natural progression in the fashion world to swing towards smaller sizing while the population in general is swinging more towards heavier sizing. I think there is a fairly major disconnect between what is actuality for a lot of women and what is seen as the ideal by the fashion industry. It seems there are extremes on both ends of the spectrum and that (unfortunately) is becoming the norm.

I think the fashion industry wants us to see models and designers as mythical figures who represent the ideal size and portray the ideal lifestyle. They sell more clothing to the rich and rich-wannabe if they can make it appear that by buying their clothing they are some how setting themselves apart from the common citizenry.

Ultimately, it comes down to perpetuating the class system and the class differential myth. I think we're all being duped by the fashion industry. Our OP is being duped into thinking that a 5'9 woman who weighs 100 pounds is actually healthy .... just as much as other posters in other threads who believes that a 5'0 woman who weighs 200 pounds is healthy. But, by pitting one size against another we are helping to prolong the division by both sides. We can’t continue to draw a line in the sand and say … if you’re carrying around an extra 10, 20, 50 pounds then you’re obviously poor and poor = bad. Just as we can’t draw the line in the sand and say well you’re 100 pounds so obviously you’re rich and rich = good.

I firmly believe that we’re all being played out by the entertainment, fashion and music business. After all, they ARE businesses and the number one rule in business is MAKE MONEY!

All that being said, I do still follow the fashion industry to some extent. There are a few stalwarts of the industry whose clothing are, imho, considered true works of art. I don’t know many of the new designers on the scene and quite frankly don’t care to. I think we should all get back to looking at the clothing from a strictly artistic standpoint. We must get back to holding the designers accountable for creating beautiful works of art whose craftsmanship is above reproach (that’s what fashion represents to me) and not letting them perpetuate class division among us.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:54 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,963 times
I think, whether or not the model looks healthy, she is still, in fact, a model. Isn't the point of modeling to wear clothes in order to show how they will look on the average sized person, or am I missing something? These models are certainly an improvement, but they are still not the average person.

Maybe it's a matter of quality rather than quantity. I'm not marketing my line of clothing to the average sized woman, who is probably of average income as well. I'm marketing my coture to the glamorous, high-maintenance woman who has a thinner than average sized body, and a fatter than average sized wallet. Less clothing sold, but purchased at a higher price. Makes up for lower sales totals.

Oh, by the way, I'm getting close to 50!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
I think, whether or not the model looks healthy, she is still, in fact, a model. Isn't the point of modeling to wear clothes in order to show how they will look on the average sized person, or am I missing something? These models are certainly an improvement, but they are still not the average person.

Maybe it's a matter of quality rather than quantity. I'm not marketing my line of clothing to the average sized woman, who is probably of average income as well. I'm marketing my coture to the glamorous, high-maintenance woman who has a thinner than average sized body, and a fatter than average sized wallet. Less clothing sold, but purchased at a higher price. Makes up for lower sales totals.

Oh, by the way, I'm getting close to 50!
I agree. The very thin models represent haute couture. The models in Lao's video are more girl-next-door, like in the Victoria's Secret catalog. I do see that typeof look in most fashion catalogs and magazines. On the thin side, yes, but healthy and "normal" looking.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:17 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Undie and swimsuit models usually have always been curvy. I think the make more realistic body models for grown women than fashion models. Fashion models are just very tall 14 year old little girls so of course they are not going to be built like women because they are children who just went through a growth spurt.

Models show the collection and movement of the fabric to buyers and journalists. Not what it looks like on an avg person. Heck...thin or fat they are already taller than the avg person! LOL That can change what an outfit looks like a lot.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:09 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
That was a bad trend...similar to the Kate Moss heroin-chic.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:07 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
Those are some very pretty models. No, I don't think they're boyish either. If that was the case, then those "boys" got some nice chests. Some booties are kind of small but they look nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty