Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 09:59 AM

429 posts, read 1,148,310 times

Advertisements

I used to use only expensive cosmetics, but I've found that if I use drugstore brands (and there are some really good ones!), I'm willing to throw them out sooner and buy new ones, so I don't end up smearing 6-month-old foundation on my face ---not good at any price!

For drugstore brands, I like Revlon age-defying foundation, for it's sunscreen and anti-oxidants. Revlon also has some excellent eye shadows, as does Maybelline. And I love good old-fashioned Cetaphil moisturizers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 04:48 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneee View Post
I used to use only expensive cosmetics, but I've found that if I use drugstore brands (and there are some really good ones!), I'm willing to throw them out sooner and buy new ones, so I don't end up smearing 6-month-old foundation on my face ---not good at any price!

For drugstore brands, I like Revlon age-defying foundation, for it's sunscreen and anti-oxidants. Revlon also has some excellent eye shadows, as does Maybelline. And I love good old-fashioned Cetaphil moisturizers.
Drugstore foundation longevity is 3 to 6 months where as high end is 12 months to 2 years. Drugstore foundation and higher end foundation are not created equal and there are defiantly incentives to using higher end makeup. Not everyone need the incentives of higher end makeup but its defiantly worth the extra money if you do. I think the problem with makeup for a lot of women is they really don't know their face/skin and what their makeup needs are.

Last edited by Shysister; 12-11-2011 at 04:58 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 04:54 PM

double post

Last edited by Shysister; 12-11-2011 at 06:09 PM..

Old 12-14-2011, 05:18 PM

541 posts, read 861,244 times
Used to splurge on pricy mascaras until I was informed that to be safe, one should throw away their mascara monthly after it's been opened. Since I have long dark lashes, buying sample size tubes or cheap waterproof mascara and doing one swipe on the bottom and top works for me.

My splurge is foundation with sunblock and a lipstick with spf. I've used Clinique products because their fragrance free, but I'm not totally satisfied. I'm always on the look out for a better product line that's equal or better than Clinique. Most other brands have given me a painful rash/breakout problem so I stick with what works best for now.

Nail polish wears off my fingertips in a day for me, so I just keep them clean and short. As for pedicures, I do my own, but I'll spend whatever it takes to get the color of polish I want without the big three no-no ingredients.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:15 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
I don't use "cheap" lotions or ones that have a ton of ingredients like those from Bath and Body Works or Vic Secret. Your skin is a respiratory organ and readily absorbs everything you put on it, and I don't want all of those chemicals and fragrances in me. I use Eucerin lotion on my face and body. It's amazing!

I have a mix of cheap cosmetics and expensive ones...everything from NYC to MAC. I love makeup, especially shadows, so I buy whatever I like and don't worry about the brand name.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:25 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Your skin isn't really absorbing Eucerin; the second ingredient of the original is mineral oil, which is the cosmetic industry's phrase for WD10-40 (the same stuff you put in your car). It's waterproof, which means it acts as a barrier on your skin. Nothing can get in, and nothing can get out. That means your skin isn't "breathing" which can cause flaking/peeling/zits, which make you think you need better/more/more drying cleanser, which makes you dry, so you use more Eucerin, and so on and so forth.

Another ingredient is lanolin - which is one of the most common allergens in the skin care industry. Lanolin = the oily substance that coats sheeps' wool.
Then there's the alcohol/artificial sweetener sorbitol, (why???), cetyl palmitate (an alcohol derived from palm), lanolin alcohol (another alcohol, PLUS sheep oil combined..double whammy there)..

if you really think this is better for your skin than the chemicals in most of the other commercial skin care products on the market, then I have a really awesome bridge for sale in Brooklyn. PayPal accepted.

It's one thing to like something because it feels great, or does a better job for your skin than anything else you've tried, or doesn't make you wheeze like heavily perfumed stuff. It's another thing to believe that naturally derived crap is chemically superior to chemically derived crap. Eucarin might do wonders for your skin, but don't for a moment believe that it's because it's got fewer ingredients. Those ingredients are still crap.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
I'm willing to spend more on face products, since I have finicky skin. However, I do not assume a higher price means a better product. The store, brand & packaging means a lot less to me than what is actually inside & how it effects my skin. I pay attention to ingredients & what it does for my skin. I don't let marketing techniques make me paranoid either; for example, the misguided hype against parabens is silly to me, as they're not any worse than other preservatives.

I rarely find good eyeshadows, eyeliners or blushes in drugstores. They wear off on me too fast. So I often head to Sephora for those. However, I've found acceptable mascara & foundation in drugstores. When I have the money, I admit I will splurge on those products though.

Skincare seems the least consistent. Price is really not related to quality. There are some great drugstore products & some horrible higher end stuff. I will pay more if it is worth it though.

I also choose to save on my body care. I find I can get away with cheaper products (both in price & even quality), or find good alternatives in a lower price range. I avoid fragrance, mainly.

If I can buy nice shampoo/conditioner, then I do, but it's not a priority. Jojoba oil goes far in keeping my hair nice, and I get that for about $7 at Trader Joes.

FYI ElleTea, mineral oil in cosmetics just amounts to a liquid petroleum. It can be pore-clogging if not highly refined. But it works well as an emollient. Same goes for lanolin; comedogenic, but a successful emollient. An emollient keeps the skin moist & soft (which is why it always will create some kind of "barrier" to hold moisture in; ALL emollients do this & that's basically what moisturizers are meant to do). As long as you're not breaking out, then Eucerin is probably fine to use. It WILL keep the skin very moisturized.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Used to splurge on pricy mascaras until I was informed that to be safe, one should throw away their mascara monthly after it's been opened. Since I have long dark lashes, buying sample size tubes or cheap waterproof mascara and doing one swipe on the bottom and top works for me.

My splurge is foundation with sunblock and a lipstick with spf. I've used Clinique products because their fragrance free, but I'm not totally satisfied. I'm always on the look out for a better product line that's equal or better than Clinique. Most other brands have given me a painful rash/breakout problem so I stick with what works best for now.

Nail polish wears off my fingertips in a day for me, so I just keep them clean and short. As for pedicures, I do my own, but I'll spend whatever it takes to get the color of polish I want without the big three no-no ingredients.
What clinque foundation do you use and your shade? Also what is your price point you want to stay around? I can recommend lots of brands you can get samples to see if you like it.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:11 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
I'm getting ready to "splurge" on some Natura Bisse products.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ix=natura+biss

I got some free samples at the NM counter and really liked the products I tried, so I am going to bite the bullet and get a few products from this line.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...erId=cat000379

I read through some of the posts about mascara. Here's what I do, and I use a lot of different brands of mascara and with this "method" I don't really have any problems with any brand ... I wipe off all of the excess mascara from the brush with a tissue (gets rid of all the clumps). Then I apply one coat to the tips of my lashes only and let that dry. Next, I apply the mascara (wiping the excess from the brush first) from the base of the lashes to the tips, and let that dry. Then I do a final sweep from the base to the tips with the wiped brush again. I have no clumps, my lashes are fully separated, and they are long, thick and dark, without that mascara fiber/clumpy look.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:05 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,797 times
I splurge every month by using Proactiv. I don't like all the chemicals it contains, but after battling a bad acne flare up this year, I decided to give it a try. The automatic charges for no reason are getting ridiculous and I'm going to cancel (they've charged me $70 this month so far). But it does work. Guess I need an alternative now. Peroxide-based systems work best for me.

My splurge is my foundation; pure pressed minerals by Jane Iredale. It is a perfect match to my fair skin with pink tones. Other foundations are too yellow. I also buy her blush. I spend about $40 every 3-4 months which I really don't think is that bad.

Everyone has their fave mascara and mine is Mabelline Full N Soft. I do a coat of regular black on the bottom and a top coat of waterproof. I've found it works best for holding the curl and not flaking and with the non-waterproof coat underneath, I don't have to get out the jackhammer to remove it at night. And it can be found at any drugstore!

I don't do mani/pedis. Polishing my nails is pointless when I chip them a minute later. I do my own pedis in the summer only.

I use Sally's version of Argan Oil for my frizzy hair and love it. It runs about $8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty