Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:35 PM

441 posts, read 886,652 times

Advertisements

For the females out there: is it true that using nail polish (and remover) damages the nails and nail beds over time?

If so how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 PM

541 posts, read 861,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
For the females out there: is it true that using nail polish (and remover) damages the nails and nail beds over time?

If so how?
Yes it's true. The nailbeds get weakened by the removal of the nailpolish from the remover (acetone). Supposedly a non-acetone based remover can prevent or lessen the damage. Unfortunately, the non-acetone removers are still not enough for my poor nails.

Also, if the nailpolish chips, it can take a thin layer of the nail/nailbed with it which can also cause damage.

Just curious, why do you ask?

Old 03-09-2012, 07:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Yes, also the polish blocks oxygen and tends to dry out nails.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:22 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,148,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

Growth of a nail is from the matrix, embedded past and below the cuticle, fed by capillaries in the dermis. There is no way for the polish to block oxygen to those cells.

Nail polish and removers can possibly weaken the part of the nail directly underlying. Whether or not these chemicals can cause permanent damage to the nail or surrounding and/or underlying skin, well, that's a good question.
As long as the matrix survives and has an adequate blood and nutrient supply, you will have nails. How strong they are or how quickly they grow is based on a number of factors, not necessarily related to polish or remover.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 PM

441 posts, read 886,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Yes it's true. The nailbeds get weakened by the removal of the nailpolish from the remover (acetone). Supposedly a non-acetone based remover can prevent or lessen the damage. Unfortunately, the non-acetone removers are still not enough for my poor nails.

Also, if the nailpolish chips, it can take a thin layer of the nail/nailbed with it which can also cause damage.

Just curious, why do you ask?
thats so sad .

i ask because years ago a female friend of mine was talking about nail polish and mentioned that, and i've always wondered if it's true and why someone would be willing to do that to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

what happens after the nails are dry? do they become brittle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Growth of a nail is from the matrix, embedded past and below the cuticle, fed by capillaries in the dermis. There is no way for the polish to block oxygen to those cells.

Nail polish and removers can possibly weaken the part of the nail directly underlying. Whether or not these chemicals can cause permanent damage to the nail or surrounding and/or underlying skin, well, that's a good question.
As long as the matrix survives and has an adequate blood and nutrient supply, you will have nails. How strong they are or how quickly they grow is based on a number of factors, not necessarily related to polish or remover.
what about the "rim" of skin covering the base of the nail bed. the... the skin that then splits off into your real skin?

and also does this apply to the clear nail polishes that make nails look "wet" and shiny?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
I'm a janitor and a wife and my hands are in water a LOT (no dishwasher) and in my experience keeping my nails polished makes my nails stronger because they don't get dried out from the all the soap and hot water. The polish acts like a protective coating.

I do keep my hands well moisturized, and use a good cuticle oil daily, too, but the number one thing is keeping my nails polished.

However -- the nails can yellow from polish and removers.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I'm a janitor and a wife and my hands are in water a LOT (no dishwasher) and in my experience keeping my nails polished makes my nails stronger because they don't get dried out from the all the soap and hot water. The polish acts like a protective coating.

I do keep my hands well moisturized, and use a good cuticle oil daily, too, but the number one thing is keeping my nails polished.

However -- the nails can yellow from polish and removers.

I am a clean freak and get the same benefits from using polish. That and nutrition helped fix my bad nail issues. (thin, peel, splits)

Beauty products are like food. Some are better for you than others.
The common problem already mentioned about dryness can be an issue that you combat with moisturizing well.

But on the chemical level not all nailpolishes are good for the body.
You can check the ratings here:
Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database | Environmental Working Group

an old formula but very bad toxic rating:
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/682/Sally_Hansen_Hard_As_Nails_Nail_Polish_Clear_%28ol d_formulation%29/

scroll down to see all the info and hazards. A lot about how the whole body is affected and not just the nail area.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:49 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
I've been polishing my nails for 40+ yrs. - they aren't damaged, still grow long and strong (I keep them pretty long but have to cut them down every 4-6 weeks).

Old 03-10-2012, 10:51 AM

653 posts, read 946,334 times
I found that painting my nails too often made them dry. I now manicure my fingers, but try not to paint them often. And I pedicure my toes year round, but try to only paint them in the warmer months, so they get a chance breathe the other months.

Also related, it's been reported that there is an increase in skin cancer on the tops of hands in those that frequent salons that use UV ray nail dryers (so glad I always shied away from those). Just something to be aware of.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:36 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,000,620 times
I've been wearing polish for 45 years...my nails grow just fine and are strong as, well, nails! (I can actually tighten a screw with them!) So, I would say there's no truth to that, as far as I'm concerned.

Some folks simply don't have good nails....my mother doesn't!

I feel keeping nails polished helps keep them from softening due to water and whatnot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty