Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 06:50 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times

Advertisements

What's up with everyone walking around with this hideous contraption on their heads? Is this the new hip hop fashion trend? Everyday I ride the subway to and from work here in NYC and everyday I see more and more young males (mainly black and hispanic) wearing this like some sort of accessory. I'm sorry but it just looks plain stupid! I even see some wearing it while not listening to anything and just have it hanging from the sides if their heads! . Listen folks, If you're not a damn DJ, get yourself a regular pair of headphones instead of walking around as if you're funk master flex!

That's my rant of the day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Studio headphones in general (not just Dre Beats, but also stuff like SkullCandy) are pretty popular because of the sound they can produce and noise cancellation when worn properly or the ability to wear them as an accessory around the neck and still be able to hear your music without completely drowning out the rest of society.

I personally like the sound quality.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Fashion trend, for sure. People who really care about sound quality will be sporting a nice pair of Sennheiser or AKG headphones, or at the very least a pair of Sony MDR-V6s.

Also for the record, Beats and Skullcandies are NOT studio headphones, lol. A studio headphone would be something more along the lines of the Sony MDR-V6s (the most popular studio headphone ever) or the Etymotic ER4Ss.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:26 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
walking around as if you're funk master flex!

lol, that's so me.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Fashion trend, for sure. People who really care about sound quality will be sporting a nice pair of Sennheiser or AKG headphones, or at the very least a pair of Sony MDR-V6s.

Also for the record, Beats and Skullcandies are NOT studio headphones, lol. A studio headphone would be something more along the lines of the Sony MDR-V6s (the most popular studio headphone ever) or the Etymotic ER4Ss.
Of course they're not true studio style headphones. But for the price (super cheap), they look and sound good for walking about.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 AM

10 posts, read 27,137 times
Fashion trend I agree.
You know, I guess a lot of those guys who are wearing them now, would not listen to the music outside so much if they did not have Dre Beats headphones but some usual ones.
Thats why it is a fashion.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:04 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,238 times
I agree! I don't mean to sound racist but I think blacks and hispanics are more conspicuous when they're flaunting name brands, etc. People definitely wear it for style and the people who truly care about sound quality, are smart to invest in cheaper brands so it doesn't get stolen.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:52 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
I agree with this thread. I think it's a fashion trend. My girlfriend annoyed me when she told me "Oh, I think big headphones are hawt!" I don't know why that bothered me so much but it did. And yes, I am Hispanic and have to say the "urban minorities" (hate that term) seem to use it more for a fashion trend, as if they are DJ's are something. I think it's a stupid, tacky look and I hate it more when those teenagers (whom really didn't experience the 90's at all) dress up like 90's kids and wear the headphones. To each his own but oh boy does that look so corny to me.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
not only blacks and hispanics like dre beats, i have seen alot of whites and asians with them, they just don't wear them out as much

Old 05-24-2012, 06:52 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
People were waiting for these forever. They are like the air jordons of headphones. Even lady gaga had a tribute pair built for her.

I don't own them because I would not spend that kinda money on something I walk around with that other people might want and punch me in the face for it. LOL! I just go with my wireless motorola ones. I don't want ambient noise canceled out when I am walking and I don't want a big honking thing on my head. I hate ear buds so those are not an option either from beats.

I do like the way the cords feel. They are flat and don't get all well...you know if you ever had corded headphones for awhile. It becomes this tangled ball of chaos!

But yeh...more for fashion: (ex)

Knock Out - GD & TOP - YouTube

ex #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbD4C...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty