Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 PM

221 posts, read 283,094 times

Advertisements

I've recently bought clothing from Etsy. I had a swing dress custom sized. I have also purchased from a British seller who makes dresses with a hidden elastic waist, and a US seller who makes cotton skirts with an elastic waist. I happened to discover that Gloria Vanderbilt "Amanda" stretch jeans fit my figure properly, although they're not perfect because I prefer a boot cut, not a narrow ankle. (At least they're not those 80s "tapered ankle" monstrosities.) I buy those jeans and I also buy "jeggings".

Pants - I generally do not deal with pants. Juniors don't fit me in the seat and thighs. Misses gape in the waist and "pooch" area. Both have too long of inseams. I don't like paying the money for alterations on pants. So unless it's below freezing, to work, I wear a skirt.

Shirts for work - I buy them too small for my bust so they fit in the waist, I put a cheapy tank top underneath from somewhere like Papaya, and I button them up only half way. Or, I wear a tank top with a cropped jacket over it as a work shirt. I've had a minimum amount of luck buying my sweaters from the Junior's department, even though they're often sewn up with sleeves for pencil width arms so many of them simply will not fit a woman over the age of 17.

My waist is 10" inches smaller than my hips, and about 8" smaller than my bust, and my shoulders are broader than my hips when you look at me from the front. I have a long torso and shorter legs. I don't think that is technically an hourglass figure because of the long waist, but it's close enough I call it an hourglass...and it is like clothing designers do not know how to deal with that shape.

You're right, it is hard to find clothing that fits any woman. I suppose it's expected that a woman is to go pay for tailoring on each and every item she buys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 04:25 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Try being 6'1 with a 36" inseam and 36GG bust size... nothing fits EVER. I'm stuck in a world of tshirts and jeans. But, I also don't expect clothing companies to carry things that are my size because there aren't many people out there who are my size.

My suggestion? Learn how to sew. You don't have to sew full outfits, but learn enough to be able to do simple darts, hem pants and make small alterations. It's saved me a ton of money over the years because I can buy things that fit my bust, and tailor them in to fit my waist.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudegubmintworker View Post
My waist is 10" inches smaller than my hips, and about 8" smaller than my bust, and my shoulders are broader than my hips when you look at me from the front. I have a long torso and shorter legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Try being 6'1 with a 36" inseam and 36GG bust size... nothing fits EVER.
I am actually a combo of you two. I have a short torso, longer legs, with a waist 9-10 inches smaller than my hips, and 8 inches smaller than my bust (34H). And I have bigger upper thighs and upper arms. Purgatory. :P

Shirts are hard to fit. Especially ones with buttons. Pants are tight in the thigh. I wear lots of dresses, skirts, and knits. Oh and stretch denim is my BFF.

I find it pretty funny, in this non scientific survey, that everyone seems to have a problem with fit. No matter how they are shaped.

I'll find my fit model one of these days, but here are some tips for you two, a few brands of clothing sized with waist and bra size in mind:

Clothes designed with your boobs in mind | Pepperberry
Sklep internetowy BiuBiu.pl
A Specialty Line of Shirts for the Professional Woman with an Hourglass Figure | Campbell & Kate

And this online store let's you custom size/design things -- length, sleeves, neckline......:
eShakti - Shop Women's designer fashion dresses, tops| Size 0-26W &Custom clothes

Old 06-06-2012, 07:51 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,912,589 times
Isn't this issue easily fixed by a trip to the tailor?

I don't have trouble finding clothes that fit off the rack at stores like bebe, ann taylor, and express but I noticed bloomingdales jeans and casual bottoms seemed to be made for women with smaller rears and hips than mine.

I just don't shop there.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Isn't this issue easily fixed by a trip to the tailor?

I don't have trouble finding clothes that fit off the rack at stores like bebe, ann taylor, and express but I noticed bloomingdales jeans and casual bottoms seemed to be made for women with smaller rears and hips than mine.

I just don't shop there.
If every single person needs to visit the tailor...then sizing is kinda off. I already know I have the sort of figure that requires visiting the tailor. I have plenty of friends that have more "average" ones and they have problems too. So I blame the clothes, not the woman.

I am still trying to figure out who exactly leaves and has stuff that fits.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,745,758 times
Default Why aren't women's clothing made for "real women?"

Because the clothing industry is dominated by gay men who don't like real women. They like their clotheschangers, tall, skinny freaks of nature who make their styles look good.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
If every single person needs to visit the tailor...then sizing is kinda off. I already know I have the sort of figure that requires visiting the tailor. I have plenty of friends that have more "average" ones and they have problems too. So I blame the clothes, not the woman.

Try Marks and Spencers. A UK clothing house like Macy's in America. You'll never be disappointed ever. ASOS is junk sometimes.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:58 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
A recent Marks and Spencers french cuff shirt I fished out of eBay.

I have never gotten so many women compliments on any other shirt, ever. Of course, I mixed it with my best turnbull and asser purple herringbone tonal tie. I found them both discounted way too much on eBay.

The crocodile wears the same clothes fools buy off the shelves for 500 bucks.

A dull looking brooks brothers shirt costs 130 and a turnbull asser tie from their website costs about 150 pounds.

This shirt is world class.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,717,169 times
Quote:
I am actually a combo of you two. I have a short torso, longer legs, with a waist 9-10 inches smaller than my hips, and 8 inches smaller than my bust (34H). And I have bigger upper thighs and upper arms. Purgatory. :P

Shirts are hard to fit. Especially ones with buttons. Pants are tight in the thigh. I wear lots of dresses, skirts, and knits. Oh and stretch denim is my BFF.

I find it pretty funny, in this non scientific survey, that everyone seems to have a problem with fit. No matter how they are shaped.

I'll find my fit model one of these days, but here are some tips for you two, a few brands of clothing sized with waist and bra size in mind:

Clothes designed with your boobs in mind | Pepperberry
Sklep internetowy BiuBiu.pl
A Specialty Line of Shirts for the Professional Woman with an Hourglass Figure | Campbell & Kate

And this online store let's you custom size/design things -- length, sleeves, neckline......:
eShakti - Shop Women's designer fashion dresses, tops| Size 0-26W &Custom clothes
You can find stuff. I have that shape and wore it in different size ranges. The waist thing has always been an issue with me. I noticed in larger sizes they do not cut in a waist. Its less defined compared to the hipline in smaller sizes. So I go with lower rises that fit right above the hipbone area. Those always work in all sizes. I pick fabrics that have a bit of give for comfort. This also accommodates a bit of give for your thighs. A-line skirts always work well too. When trying stuff on take a couple sizes. You may wear a smaller or larger size. Also try on a couple of the same size. Sometimes the smallest variations in clothing can make for a better fit.

With a bust you really can't wear button shirts. Sorry. Comes with the territory. You could try a minimizer bra and a smooth finish tank/cami under a button shirt. That can help. Spanx tanks also can help:
Camis | Shaping Camis | Hide and Sleek Camis
The only type of button shirt I can get away with is one that has give to the fabric or I get gapping or button failure. They make fabric tape too to help with gapping:
Amazon.com: Braza Flash Tape (1009): Home & Kitchen

You are way too tall for petites. Especially with your build. Those are for under 5'3'' and I think people who have some thigh meat and are shorter like that find better fits in regular sizes. Having bigger thighs lifts the pants up higher. Some shirts may work but I don't think they usually give enough room for busts over C cups.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:07 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,785,580 times
Quote:

I've only had one item of clothing altered, a pair of suit pants that needed the hem let out a bit. Not to say every item of clothing I own fits me like a glove, but I've never been reduced to running errands naked. But maybe my particular body needs aren't the most difficult to fit. It seems like a big chest and big thighs are the biggest trouble makers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Because the clothing industry is dominated by gay men who don't like real women. They like their clotheschangers, tall, skinny freaks of nature who make their styles look good.
I don't know how this idea, which sounds like it came from a paranoid schizophrenic, ever gained popularity as a valid and reasonable theory. Being tall and thin does not make a woman manly, a freak, or less of a real woman than a short size 16 lady. Spewing this vile hatred demeans women and detracts from any positive work that has been done to improve body image acceptance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty