Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Definitely. Think of the simplest outfit - jeans and a white tank top on a girl with a great toned body and it's going to look hot-hot-hot. However, on anyone with less than a perfect figure or any extra weight it would just end up looking sloppy and accentuating flaws. There are women who can wear a potato sack and look great. Unfortunately I'll never be one of them, because even with working out I still have a flat chest, wide protruding ribcage, very wide hips and chunky thighs and knees, and extremely pale thin/soft skin that prevents me from having that firm tanned look that even some overweight women can have. These are all characteristics that are impossible to correct with diet or exercise. In spite of that it did become way easier and more fun to try on and buy clothes after losing about 10-15 lbs that weren't technically excess weight but really affected my body image. Pants especially, and being able to wear flats or jeans tucked into boots or uggs without feeling like a lumpy snowman. It's easy to look great in, say, a pencil skirt and stilettos, but much harder to pull off the casual look without looking dumpy.
Honey, never wear Uggs and think that this is just "casual cool". Someday, heaven willing, the Ugg thing will die a painful and well deserved death, and people will go back to dressing in shoes that doesn't look like loaves of bread crossed with your dad's slippers.

Some people will always need structured clothing to look their best. Even those of us who believe in our own beauty will admit that some outfits look better than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM

245 posts, read 386,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
You just need to wear the right size regardless of your weight. A size 8, which is small, trying to stuff herself into a size 4, isn't going to look nice.
if someone has 20 lbs of excess fat, they won't look as good in clothes, even if they purchased a new wardrobe in the right size. that was kind of my point, that if your are thin and fit, you can try on most things and they will look good. if you are heavier, then you have to look for flattering cuts. that's just my experience.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Honey, never wear Uggs and think that this is just "casual cool". Someday, heaven willing, the Ugg thing will die a painful and well deserved death, and people will go back to dressing in shoes that doesn't look like loaves of bread crossed with your dad's slippers.
Oh man, if you believe me, I've resisted Uggs for years since they came out, I hated them with a passion and declared them the ugliest things known to man.
Then I had a kid. And I needed to take him for walks, first walking around with the stroller, then to the park and stand around on playgrounds for ages regardless of how cold it was (granted it doesn't get too cold where we live but still). And my feet were freezing and my nice leather riding boots were getting ruined by the sand and gravel. So yes, I finally gave in and got myself a cute little pair of lavender-colored Uggs, and ahh, they were so warm and comfy that I ended up getting a pair of burgundy sweater-knit ones too. And I have to say that paired with some leggings or jeggings, long sweater, and chunky scarf, they don't look all that ugly at all, they look cozy and cute. Or at least that's what I tell myself cause they're a savior with a toddler in the fall and winter, lol. I won't wear them anywhere 'nice', but for the park or running errands they're a godsend.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePew View Post
Has anyone else noticed this? When I have a flat belly and work out a little everything I try on (in the right size) fits. I can wear any cut and style, and even cheaper clothes/brands look better than nicer brands when 10 lbs heavier.
Yes. This is a no brainer.

My mother said this to my dad (while he was getting fitted for his expensive suits for work): Nothing looks better on you than a fit body.

Hell, my favorite look on a guy is jeans (not skinny jeans!) and a t shirt...especially if they highlight the pecs, shoulders, and biceps.

Women...if they are too dressed up, it is kind of a turn-off.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePew View Post
Has anyone else noticed this? When I have a flat belly and work out a little everything I try on (in the right size) fits. I can wear any cut and style, and even cheaper clothes/brands look better than nicer brands when 10 lbs heavier.
It's all a matter of opinion.
What one sees as good looking or able to wear 'any cut and style', others may think blah.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,474 times
Being thin and fit will make you look like you're thin and fit. "Better" is a subjective term. The women in the two pics below are neither thing nor fit, but they look good.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,978 times
The definition of misplaced priorities is a fat lady in a Beauty Salon.

Honey, the only Beauty Salon you need has treadmills in it.

S

Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post

S

I don't know about you, but I've met quite a few uggos that were thin OR fit.
Some people are more materialistic that others.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post

S
The definition of misplaced priorities: assuming someone's looks determine their value.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Just a reminder thin =/= fit. They aren't the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty