Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,350,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocker_Spaniel_Lover View Post
The material has changed, but the style is still the same. Now it's that sweatpants material short shorts hip huggers. Every 20th woman at the mall or grocery store in the summer is wearing them. IF she has something to show.
And I think they look terrible.

The OP is asking about public perception as it relates to daisy dukes and a woman's age or stage in life. My answer is that everyone, regardless of age or body type, should ditch the short shorts. It's just my opinion. You, in your infinite fashion wisdom, seem quite enamored by the look. Well, it takes all kinds buddy. I won't try and convince you to change your mind.

I will give a piece of advice to any woman buying a pair though - try them on and walk toward a mirror in them. Keep your eye on your crotch area and take that into consideration before purchase. Front wedgie may be ultra becoming to Cocker_Spaniel_Lover, but I'll leave it to you to decide if that's really the look you're going for..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,560,865 times
Most men are going to tell you it's okay, please do, if you have a hot body.
In all honesty, I think once you are no longer a teenager, daisy dukes in public should be a "no". What you wear at home, around your significant other, or even friends, should be whatever you want. But once you are out in public, unless you want to appear to be a little trashy and desperate for attention, I agree with others here who have said pretty much never should a grown woman go out in short shorts. Classy is what you want to be going for at least in public.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 PM

817 posts, read 2,189,419 times
Well, I'll just say this... when you get to be 50 (assuming you've acquired some class by then), you'll probably be embarrassed if you dressed that way when you were younger and hope that your daughters never do.

Another thing you'll probably realize when you're 50 is that the guys who love to leer at you in your short shorts are usually the ones who can't get decent women, and even they wouldn't want to bring one in short shorts home to meet their Mama. In my experience, anyway.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetLover View Post
When should women stop wearing things like this.
When she doesn't feel comfortable wearing them anymore.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:11 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,131,440 times
So long as you can pull it off... if you want to...

Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Until 26, IF you have the body for them. If you're 63, 240 pounds I would say no.

They should only make certain styles in limited sizes. That will cure everything. Designers do not offer some of their clothing in sizes larger than a size 6 for a reason.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,717,169 times

Old 02-27-2013, 06:51 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetLover View Post
I'm in my late 20's and I still wear short shorts as in daisy dukes, but I have the body for it. Is it ok that I still dress like that. When should women stop wearing things like this.
At what age can we get over trying to tell other people what to do and stop caring about how people decide to cover their bodies?

Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 AM

571 posts, read 1,201,641 times
Not sure if people on here have a different definition of short shorts - referring to camel toe, wedgie, "slutty"

I wear shorts - the cuffed kind, which tend to look a bit dressy, often with button down shirts. They are never tight, but they are not long (they aren't bermudas). I also have some denim shorts, but they aren't super short.

I'm 42, I have four kids. I work out a lot, so my legs are very toned, no cellulite, no veins. BUT, if a woman does have some veins or cellulite, that shouldn't stop her from wearing what she wants.

I'd say it's more about a woman's comfort and what the rest of the outfit looks like. If you're wearing shorts, then perhaps a tube top would be a bit too much - better to balance it with a flowy top.

Having said that, I've gotta ask: What's with all the female bashing, **** calling, acting like women dress for men only and if they are in the least bit provacative "they'll get what they're asking for"?

DANG, if I didn't know better, I'd think it was 1950.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
IMO
Women in general ,wear clothes that are directed at attracting men , certian kinds of men.
Over weight women are usually desparate ,any thing that will snag a hook, where as women that have worked hard to develop their design usually put an equal expectation on a man's value ,and rightly so.
I live in southern california ,and the culture here is the gym and the investment in one's health and fitness.
I don't actually see a lot of Dasy Duke fashon here inland , but what is common is the skin tight clothing .
Some of it is practiclly painted on , and others are wearing jenes that they were poured into , and the poor girls have no idea what they look like from behind .
I feel sorry for both .
Artisticlly, and from my personal observation moderately fitting pants save the view for the person they care about the most. (for your eyes only so to speak)
Now this is not to say that if her husband wants here to wear shorties in public then ,he bragging "(look who chose me)". An ego builder. ( Shallow Hal; meet the parents scene)
Remember it is HIS PERCEPTION OF HER.
Here's the problem, Often women do not want honesty with feed back , but the fact is looking in the mirror takes an honest assessment , and if a person is unwilling to do that , no amount of fashon encouragment is going to make a difference .
By the way , I have seen some rare women with incredable leggs in shorts @ 40+ I think (grand children are a give away.)
be healthy,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty