Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Who wants a not rich husband?
Most women. Most guys aren't rich, but a ton of them are married. How'd they do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Because their 'worth' or 'market value' (as many men like to say about women) isn't dependent upon their looks; women cannot say the same.
This...way too much attention on how women look/dress.etc.

Btw I started a very similar thread, so I'm not always picking on how women dress.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
I don't know why anyone cares how anyone else dresses in the first place -- men or women.

It's been my experience that people who 'dress better' are more judgmental of people who 'dress down,' than the other way around. I think they're more likely to have an attitude or opinions about others' dress. Sort of, they 'care about how they look' so they think others should too. Where as those of us -- myself included -- who dress down, don't really care how others look.

Those who 'dress better' or care how they look-- think those of us who dress like slobs -- don't have enough sense to know WHEN and for WHICH OCCASIONS to dress better.

A very good friend of mine falls into that category. I CAN NOT get her to understand that there's a difference -- and we disagree -- on when it's necessary to dress better and what's appropriate for a given situation. I embarrass her. She cares how she looks and I don't -- UNLESS how I dress affects my image in a way that matters -- that one should ALWAYS care -- and it ALWAYS matters how one looks and is perceived. I don't.

Dressing like a slob and dressing inappropriately down for a given circumstance are NOT the same thing.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,597 times
I don't dress to match, nor do I dress in a way to please other people. I dress how I want and if you don't like it, begone. I don't dress in all holey or stained clothing, but I will go shopping or to public places after work while in my dirty work clothes. I shouldn't have to go home and change, just to please the other people. We have too many stupid standards for how we should look and I think it's ridiculous.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This...way too much attention on how women look/dress.etc.

Btw I started a very similar thread, so I'm not always picking on how women dress.

As an added note: apparently women that aren't the most feminine things out there with perfumes, sexy clothes, make ups, heels etc. get labeled 'frumpy and feminist.' Obviously most women don't want to get stuck with that so it forces them into a shell. It boils down to 'look how men want you to look' or else this your label. A woman in baggy jeans/flannel shirt, tee shirt is a 'frumpy lesbo feminist' and a man in the same outfit is 'comfortable, relaxed.' Must be nice.

Today it's at the point where a man will literally reject a woman based on how bad her mother looks, I can't say I know of a woman that factors something like that in for a mate. Asking a man if his dad is 'fat and/or ugly' to decide if he's dateable overall, etc.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:46 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,960 times
Maybe young guys can get away with a very "i don't care look" but as they age it looks horrendous.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:00 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Why are there so many men that dress like slobs. In clothing that doesn't fit. Or pants that sag so low they can't even walk. Or dirty baggy white tees that should have been re-purposed for dust rags, 3 years ago?

What are these men thinking, it is so not attractive. They really should present themselves better and stop being so slobby.*

Spoiler
This is tongue in cheek. Way too many threads talking about women's attire and looks here, time to reciprocate.
I dress like a slob because I think 'Fashion' is ridiculous. I have much better things to spend money on than something to cover up this gorgeous body of mine.

I just buy whatever is for sale at the thrift store

Old 03-27-2013, 11:05 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
I resent the insinuation that I dress like a slob. I wash the one pair of jeans I wear pretty much every day at least once a month.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 AM

57 posts, read 86,210 times
those aren't men. those are boys in or out of high school.

grown men, at least where i live, don't dress this way unless you are talking about gang-infested neighborhoods. well then these men ARE "businessmen" because that's what it takes to survive in that type of environment. they are only doing what they must to survive. you will look like a want-to-be-white (instead of saying want to be educated) type of man who is a sellout or an uncle tom if you dress what society considers decent. i have seen young black men dress very decent and their peers often call them fa*** or other derogatory terms. this is a peer pressure/bullying issue rather than one's choice. no one wants to be an outcast. those men are doing the best they can or they don't know better because of how and where they have been raised.

most men wear suits or jeans from where i live. the older ones wears khaki type of pants. i don't really look at men but at girls' asses (i love the heart shaped curve!) but that's what i have noticed when i do notice men.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:23 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
My wife says I look like a contractor due to work boots, jeans, Sears Craftsman black/gray jacket

I wear old ratty clothing, rarely need to buy anything new. Don't really care though, it is comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty