Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,159 times

Advertisements

witch hazel? Ive heard some people use that. Any recommendations. The sunscreen lotion in store go for around $5 or $6 dollars a bottle. That's pretty steep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 09:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
witch hazel? Ive heard some people use that. Any recommendations. The sunscreen lotion in store go for around $5 or $6 dollars a bottle. That's pretty steep.
Witch hazel isn't any kind of sunscreen at all. I don't know where you heard that it is. It has zero sun protection qualities; it's just an astringent.

$5 or $6 for a bottle of sunscreen is dirt cheap, when you compare it to the cost of treating skin cancer. Most people recommend an SPF of 30 or higher; I personally think that's a waste. Here's my logic:

SPF indicates "how much longer than usual" you can be in the sun before you get a sunburn. So an SPF of 15 means you can sit in the sun 15x longer than usual before your skin burns.

If you can usually sit in the sun for 10 minutes before your skin burns, then 15x 10 = 150 minutes. That's over 2 hours. You're supposed to reapply this stuff every hour, OR after you go swimming, whichever comes first. So anything longer than a couple of hours protection is wasted, because it'll sweat off of you long before that anyway.

SPF 30 means you can now spend 30x that 10 minute period - that's 300 minutes, or 5 hours in the sun. Do you know anyone who spends 5 hours in the sun? I mean without turning over. Because, y'know, if you're laying out in direct sun on your back, you'll want to flip over so the tan is even front and back right? So that'd be 5 hours *per side.* That's 10 hours of direct sunlight. And of course you still have to reapply it every hour. Plus, you're also assuming that the sun's position in the sky doesn't change the entire 10 hours. Except, it does change, and is stronger mid-day than it is morning or evening. That's why I don't recommend an SPF 30.

If you need to completely prevent a tan, then you need a sunblock, not a sunscreen. Otherwise, just get an SPF 15. It really doesn't matter what brand, most of them use the same ingredients these days anyway. Avoid any with PABA as the active ingredient, and favor octyl methoxycinnimate.

A term to favor is "broad spectrum." This blocks both UVA and UVB exposure, so if you need a sunblock, look for that term. If a sunscreen offers it, you'll need to apply it in generous amounts to get the full benefit, but it can be worth the effort and added expense.

Last edited by AnonChick; 04-26-2013 at 09:15 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 09:14 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
The shade. Usually free, often available, non greasy and easy to apply. Also the best sunscreen.

Next are many of the brands and types of thin light clothing. Made and styled for both males and females they provide better protection than any smear on suncreen lotion. Couple that with a broad brimmed hat and you are good to go.

The last resort is sunscreen lotions. Usually messy and difficult to apply yourself unless all you are worried about is your arms, neck legs and chest (back anyone?) using them lulls you into a false sense of security. They wear off. Those marketing ploys claiming they are not greasy, last in the pool or other water sports are just that, marketing.

There are people who rarely go out in the sun yet unprotected and still get skin cancer.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:08 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,001 times
If you wear make-up, buy ones with sunscreen in them.
Wear a big hat
long sleeves and pants/skirt

Otherwise, generic brands?

Old 04-27-2013, 06:47 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I spent $32 on my facial sunblock because it is the only kind that won't make me break out. $5-6 is very standard and is the price you would pay at any Walmart or Target.

If you are very astute, you can browse stores to see if they have any items in clearance. I bought a good tube of body sunscreen in Walgreens for $2-3 a while back because it was on clearance.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:44 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,778 times
I like Neutrogena's Light touch stuff. It is about $7 but I recently purchased in a 2 pack on Amazon.com for less, with free Prime shipping. I use it pretty much every day in summer, I am fanatical about covering my tattoos (on my arms) as well, and I also use it for my kids, it lasts a while. And it does NOT feel greasy, not just a marketing ploy. I absolutely detest anything that feels heavy or greasy and it does not.

For my face I use a different lightweight, non greasy lotion with sunscreen in it, but no big floppy hat (I would look ridiculous).

As for long sleeves, well, no. Not an option for me. Not in Texas in summer. I don't care how lightweight the fabric.

I have just accepted the cost of sunscreen as a fact of life, maybe because my father had skin cancer of the nose from years of working outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty