Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times

Advertisements

No, but this info is not on the label either, a person will not know what factory their clothes came from.

As far as the price of cheap fashion, I call BS on this; this is the price of maximizing shareholder wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 10:56 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, but this info is not on the label either, a person will not know what factory their clothes came from.

As far as the price of cheap fashion, I call BS on this; this is the price of maximizing shareholder wealth.
Exactly. When Coach makes $400 purses in China, it's about profits.

OP, are these the only brands the factory produced for?

Old 04-27-2013, 11:03 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Since I do not shop in specialized boutiques I more than likely have purchased clothing from any of those listed and a few more not listed. Since I like to keep my parts appropriately covered in public and I refuse to pay $50.00+ for one article of clothing I have no choice but to purchase those brands. There are worse things and I would like to know why everyone cares so much what happens to people who live all over the world BUT few care about Americans who are starving and living on the streets.

Take care of your own first, have sympathy those in America who are in need of help and help them and worry less about where your clothing is made. In comparison worrying with the place of manufacturing for clothing is quite trivial to the many Americans who have few articles of clothing, no where to call home and little to no food to feed their families.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Exactly. When Coach makes $400 purses in China, it's about profits.

OP, are these the only brands the factory produced for?
This points out one of the biggest flaws in our laws around fashion. The copyright laws around fashion are incredibly weak compared to other forms of art. If Coach designs a purse, Walmart can immediately copy the style and sell it in their stores as long as they don't claim it to be a Coach purse. There is no protection for the artist.

This causes prices to go up on the real items because they cannot compete with Walmart on the masses. Coach took on all the R&D expenses while Walmart has none.

This problem is extremely evident in clothing. You can walk into a Walmart and see all types of collared shirts (polo/tennis). None of these shirts provide royalties to René Lacoste and John Brooks. If it were like any other form of art, production of such collared shirts would be limited and not produced in thousands of manufacturers fighting for the lowest prices.

An artist should be able to design their type of clothing, sell it at a reasonable cost, and not have to worry about copycats undercutting them after they did all the design work.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:18 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I buy clothes from Children's Place sometimes. It's not especially cheap as far as prices go, and the quality is decent. They have little kids plus sizes, which means we can order jeans without having to get a bigger size and shorten them 6 or 7 inches (my daughter has a growth problem).

My daughter and I were reading articles about the factory collapse and she said she didn't want to shop at Children's Place anymore. I pointed out that lots of other clothes are probably made there in just as poor conditions. We just haven't heard about those stores yet because those factories haven't had the same problems yet. She said that instead of buying a bunch of new shirts every fall, she'll just get used ones from thrift shops and garage sales, because that creates less demand for clothes that put workers in danger.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:38 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
She said that instead of buying a bunch of new shirts every fall, she'll just get used ones from thrift shops and garage sales, because that creates less demand for clothes that put workers in danger.
I'm sure all the unemployed workers in those third world countries will be very thankful.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This points out one of the biggest flaws in our laws around fashion. The copyright laws around fashion are incredibly weak compared to other forms of art. If Coach designs a purse, Walmart can immediately copy the style and sell it in their stores as long as they don't claim it to be a Coach purse. There is no protection for the artist.

This causes prices to go up on the real items because they cannot compete with Walmart on the masses. Coach took on all the R&D expenses while Walmart has none.

This problem is extremely evident in clothing. You can walk into a Walmart and see all types of collared shirts (polo/tennis). None of these shirts provide royalties to René Lacoste and John Brooks. If it were like any other form of art, production of such collared shirts would be limited and not produced in thousands of manufacturers fighting for the lowest prices.

An artist should be able to design their type of clothing, sell it at a reasonable cost, and not have to worry about copycats undercutting them after they did all the design work.
This is incorrect. Coach operates based around prestige pricing, their brand is worth money. They are not charging so much money to recover R&D costs of their product. Walmart also sells handbags with unique designs, yet at a far less cost. Coach and Walmart have different target markets they are going after.

Coach can demand the price of their bags because their is a prestige about the brand name, no different than any other industry where their is a luxury line.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:54 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:

The artist? What artist? There is NO PURSE on this planet worth $400.00 I don't care whose name is on it and anyone who would pay that much for ONE ITEM has more money than brains.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
This is a partial list of retailers in the US that source clothes from the Bangladesh factories where 228 workers died yesterday in an eight-story building collapse:

Walmart
Children's Palace
Dress Barn
Cato
Joe Fresh (JC Penney's)

Most of those who died were women, and others remain missing and presumed trapped in the rubble.

Cheap fashion has a high price.
Boy, are you late to the party!

The garment industry is a cruel industry even when it was in the U.S.. Working conditions have always been marginal to terrible since the public (YOU!) demands high fashion for pennies on the dollar!!

You don't like what happens to garment workers then start sewing your own clothes. Wait!! If you do that you screw these garment workers out of the only income they have. But you don't mind since your heart can bleed all over itself as long as you get pretty clothes on the cheap.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:

Both Brooks and Lacoste ripped the idea off of actual Polo players they saw playing actual Polo, which is why they are called Polo shirts. They are Wal-Mart for the purposes of your discussion. But yeah, if it were like other fields where you can copy write basic geometric shapes that have been around forever and then be a patent troll and sue people that would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty