Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:06 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times

Advertisements

As a woman I find these things unattractive:

1. Nail art and glitter nail polish

2. Fishnet stockings

3. Wedge heels

4. Stiletto heels (if women can't walk in them)

5. Smoky eyes (most women can't pull it off)

6. Hair dyed in unnatural colours

7. Very dark lipstick, such as black or deep purple (makes a woman look ill)

8. Fake tans (the orange type)

9. Stonewashed jeans or jeans with rips or holes in them

10. Bathing in perfume

I also agree on the gladiator shoes, they look hideous. Or boots that go all the way up to the knee. Or Uggs. Or flip-flops when you're not going to the beach. Speaking of the beach, wearing sunglasses inside is also not cool, and that goes for women and men. Give me some time and I'll have enough material for another top 10 of fashion faux pas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 01:23 PM

68 posts, read 89,003 times
As a man:

1. Tattoos
2. Pants
3. Sneakers
4. T-Shirt
5. Baseball cap

I am big on femininity, such as skirts, pantyhose, heels, polished nails, makeup, earrings, necklace, maybe a headband or a hat if outside.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaCat View Post
I am 50 and female. I love the minimalist look, always have. I like classic but contemporary. I'm also a huge proponent of the fact that age should not dictate what you should wear as much as someone's particular body type. There are 20 year-olds who are overweight trying to fit into tight, short clothes with too much spilling out while there are some very fit 40 year-olds who look good in a bikini. I also don't think you should try to look like your kids, no matter how fit you are. It looks desperate.
LOL. When my daughter was in high school, she said, "I'm so glad that you're not one of those moms who walks around wearing Hollister clothes. They look like idiots."

I also tend toward classic, since I'm tall and can't pull off the cutesy girly look, never could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaCat View Post
I live in Northern NJ and it is the capital of fake. Fake hair, nails, eyelashes, skin tone, breasts, lips and pretty much every other body part. I'm talking about men and women. It's one thing to enhance what you have or correct a "deformity" or severe issue but some people pretty much transform themselves into something not found in nature. It really is bizarre and I question the people that find these extremely fake-looking people attractive. Maybe other fake-looking people do? It must be shocking to wake up to each other the first time you spend the night together and see what's under all the crap.
I lived in NNJ most of my life (now down in Monmouth County) and there are SO many people who go tanning regularly. Didn't they get the memo that this is really bad for you?

Old 05-27-2013, 11:15 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
All the talk about minimalist and natural looking versus fake and high maintenance is interesting.

Minimalist and natural looking isn't necessarily effort free or low maintenance.

Even this chick:

...who was featured in one of the OP's links for minimalist fashion and looks completely au naturale, is wearing at the very least, a BB cream with powder (most likely also concealer and highlighter), cheek color, lip color, brow powder/pencil on her plucked eyebrows, eye shadow, and I'm pretty sure mascara and eyeliner. And that hair definitely has product in it.

The other minimalist/natural looking women in that link achieved their natural looking hair with a combination of velcro rollers, mousse/serum/spray, curling iron, flat iron, color (highlights/lowlights).

Sorry, but women don't just roll out of bed with hair like this, lol:

Don't get me wrong. I really like the looks above. I'm with you all regarding the fake nails, fake hair, fake lips, fake tans, etc. etc., that you see on Real Housewives and club rats. Thumbs down to all that.

I'm just sayin'...the minimalist/classic/all natural look is also an illusion and a fabrication.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
The same goes for tops with Peplums (they are everywhere right now) which give the wearer an added belly. Who wants to add more weight around the waistline? Don't we all work out to have a flat/firm belly? Peplums will add pounds to your waist and are not flattering.
Yeah, I don't get the peplum trend either. Sometimes I think that the people in the fashion world who ordain these things are really just messing with us, and then when everyone, from high society Park Avenue hoity toity, to working class/blue collar Walmart shopper, is wearing their new trend, they high five each other over flutes of expensive champagne and laugh their asses off at what puppets people are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Also, I don't know if this is a 'fashion' thing or just an easier thing to do, but when girls wear those curved bill hats when they go exercise or run errands.
You're talking about baseball caps, right? Yeah, not a fashion thing. My ball cap is indispensable when I go jogging. It keeps the sun off my head (light colored ball cap deflects the sun and keeps my head cool), it keeps the sun out of my eyes and off my face (sunscreen alone won't cut it...just ask my farmer's tan; plus, squinting at the sun causes wrinkles and headaches) and it keeps my hair (bangs/baby hairs/layers) out of my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
False teeth? Really?? So I guess you prefer the toothless look?
Haha, I'm not sure, but I think he may have been talking about the people that get really fake looking, unnaturally fluorescent white, over the top veneers and end up looking like they have horse or beaver teeth (e.g. Hillary Duff and Snookie).

Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
What I unattractive:

Muffin tops.
Hip-huggers (didn't even like them in the 60's that much).
Bovine-type nose rings, and I hate it on men just as much (makes me want to yank them).
Bleached hair with dark roots.
Too-high stilettos.
Jeans with holes in them (who try to look poor?).
Tattoo over-load but the same for men.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
All the talk about minimalist and natural looking versus fake and high maintenance is interesting.

Minimalist and natural looking isn't necessarily effort free or low maintenance.

Even this chick:

...who was featured in one of the OP's links for minimalist fashion and looks completely au naturale, is wearing at the very least, a BB cream with powder (most likely also concealer and highlighter), cheek color, lip color, brow powder/pencil on her plucked eyebrows, eye shadow, and I'm pretty sure mascara and eyeliner. And that hair definitely has product in it.

The other minimalist/natural looking women in that link achieved their natural looking hair with a combination of velcro rollers, mousse/serum/spray, curling iron, flat iron, color (highlights/lowlights).

Don't get me wrong. I really like the looks above. I'm with you all regarding the fake nails, fake hair, fake lips, fake tans, etc. etc., that you see on Real Housewives and club rats. Thumbs down to all that.

I'm just sayin'...the minimalist/classic/all natural look is also an illusion and a fabrication.
I think the minimalist look without maintenance would be described as the "naturalist" look, meaning that women don't wear any makeup, dress comfortably over stylish, and sometimes don't wear to deodorant or shave their pits :O. This look is more prominent in very liberal, outdoorsy areas like Portland, Seattle, etc.
I think that there is a happy medium between the high maintenance look at the naturalist look that can be achieved without too much effort.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:57 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I am not a fashion expert but these are the forms of fashion I find the most unattractive:

1. Fake Nails - I have never understood the logic behind wearing these because it is very apparent that the nails are fake. And when that conclusion is drawn, the first question that comes to mind is why would said woman want to hide her nails? I think it is an effort to be overly decadent and you don't necessarily have to be a strict practitioner of the natural look to realize that.
2. Generic brands like Hollister, A & F, etc. come of as tacky and it is especially displeasing to see a group of young women dressed in the same few brands. It suppresses individuality in my opinion.
3. Painted nails. I'm sure others have different opinions on this but I think it looks childish.
4. Those excessive gladiator type shoes that seem to wind all the way up to the ankle. The way I look at is that we don't live in an ancient Spartan society anymore so why make the effort?
5. Lipstick that is a bit too bold and draws attention away from other facial features.

In my opinion, the minimalist look is the most attractive.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ml%3B435%3B579

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...%3B1000%3B1000

Modern Minimalist Fashion

Etc.

That's because you are living in South Florida ! where bling is the thing. We can spot Floridian "style" here from 100 yds. away. Loud, bright colors, lots of makeup, lots of jewelry, 15 gold bracelets, anything that jingles and jangles --- and omg... those gold or silver lame shoes! Pot bellied hubby stepping out of the Florida barge wearing the tropical shirt and white shiney shoes = Lincoln Conti or the Grand Marquis with vinyl carriage roofs. Puhleeeeeeez ...

Old 05-29-2013, 10:59 AM

229 posts, read 534,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
That's because you are living in South Florida ! where bling is the thing. We can spot Floridian "style" here from 100 yds. away. Loud, bright colors, lots of makeup, lots of jewelry, 15 gold bracelets, anything that jingles and jangles --- and omg... those gold or silver lame shoes! Pot bellied hubby stepping out of the Florida barge wearing the tropical shirt and white shiney shoes = Lincoln Conti or the Grand Marquis with vinyl carriage roofs. Puhleeeeeeez ...
He lives in Southwest Florida, which is actually a whole different region.

Besides, have you actually lived in South Florida? Who the hell wears tropical shirts there? Only the tourists do that. The women in South Florida dress better than in most parts of the U.S. No one cares about the boring look in areas like Seattle or Portland (or in your case, Western NC in the middle of nowhere). Good job with your stereotyping, though, assuming everyone in South Florida dresses the same.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 AM

449 posts, read 640,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post

Even this chick:

I like the first model, she's really pretty and i like that king of looks, very popular in France...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty