Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 07:49 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

For 40 years I've been wearing Gap "baggy fit" five pocket style jeans. Unfortunately for me, I buy in bulk, so the last time I bought them was about 15 years ago. Now I'm to the point of needing to replace jeans, and I find they are no longer available. It's crazy, I can't find a basic jean to fit now!

On the bright side carpenter style seems to be coming into fashion so I was able to stock up on those, I do like a carpenter style pant. But I do want to have some basic jeans too.

I've shopped around other brands, but can't find anything that fits right. I thought I might get lucky with Carhart, but they are so "tapered" I can barely get them over my feet for crying out loud. I thought "tapered went out in the 80s. Peg leg is not something I am willing to settle for.

I'm an easy size, just your basic 32W X 30L but I liked the "baggy fit" of the Gap jeans, because I hate tight clothes. I actually really need a 29 or 28 inseam but those are difficult to find, I am resigned to tucking the ends under, but that's a minor concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2023, 07:52 AM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Yeah, I have to avoid those tapered legs. Size 10.5 feet don't navigate the bottoms at all!

I am of no help to you. Jeans are soooo hard for me because I need at least a 36" inseam. Right now, the Old Navy wow flare long is filling the bill for me.

Old 11-18-2023, 09:16 AM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Wide leg and loose fit jeans are actually in right now. Gap does have a fit called mid-rise loose jeans

Old 11-18-2023, 09:17 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
How about Lucky brand boyfriend jeans? Those are always cut baggie, if you can find them w/out holes in them!

Old 11-18-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Wide leg and loose fit jeans are actually in right now. Gap does have a fit called mid-rise loose jeans

I tried them. I hated them. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
How about Lucky brand boyfriend jeans? Those are always cut baggie, if you can find them w/out holes in them!

That sounds like something made for women. I've never found a made for women jean to fit me, and certainly not something targeted to "junior" sizes, or whatever the equivalent is now. Thanks for trying.

Old 11-18-2023, 11:41 AM

1,112 posts, read 606,309 times
GAP use to be the best store on planet earth in the 80s 90s.

Now I find that they are struggling and as a marketing person I can see why... they haven't truly changed with the times and didn't stick to a certain market (high - middle - low end).

I love the GAP because they made decent quality clothing for a reasonable price. But with increased competition their market share dropped and they struggled and ended up with constant "sales". Now nobody will buy their goods at regular prices.

I don't think they will last much longer, but hope they stick around. But up here their jeans retail for about $60 - $70. Not the greatest quality for that price range... many rather goto Old Navy for cheaper prices or the many other brands for higher end goods.

BTW it is very difficult to find baggy jeans because the young'uns think they are old ppl clothes. Skin tight or athletic fit is what they tend to like.

Old 11-18-2023, 03:14 PM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
That sounds like something made for women. I've never found a made for women jean to fit me, and certainly not something targeted to "junior" sizes, or whatever the equivalent is now. Thanks for trying.
Have you tried the "boyfriend" cut?

Old 11-18-2023, 09:14 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Are Levi 501s still being made? They have always been the only jeans that I like.

Old 11-19-2023, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Have you tried the "boyfriend" cut?

At 63 I know my body and myself and what fits and what is comfortable. As I said I've been wearing the same jeans from Gap all these years. And now they are no longer available, I'll wear the carpenter style.

I am unlikely to ever try something called "boyfriend jeans" because they are obviously made for women, and I cannot wear pants made for women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Are Levi 501s still being made? They have always been the only jeans that I like.

Levis, sadly do not fit me comfortably, though of course I grew up in the 70s when Levis straight leg first were coming into style as The Jean (before the designer jean craze). I begged my mother for a pair of Levis and at 13 finally got a pair at the ArmyNavy surplus. In those days Levis were dark, stiff and hard, like putting on boards lol, you wore them out and faded them with time. I loved those jeans, and when I got my first job at 14 I could buy them myself. When I was 15 I discovered (also at the ArmyNavy) painter's pants and carpenter jeans and they became my 2nd favorite style.

But by the time I was in my early 20s Levis weren't shaped right for me, and it was my father's wife, when I made a brief visit to them once, who took me shopping at a mall and introduced me to Gap baggy fit jeans, which have always provided the perfect fit over the years, though the size has gone up a little. I started in 28s back then lol. Now I'm in 32s.

At least I have the carpenter style jeans.

I'm not concerned with being "in style" or even really what I look like in my pants. No one is looking at me. My only concern is comfort. .

Old 11-19-2023, 06:42 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
I find that all jeans in recent years have pockets that my hands won't fit into and zippers that
are so short that a guy can't even go pee. So I am forced to just wear my painter white pants that I
wore all my working life. Now I'm retired. I want to dress nice.
The same thing with boxer shorts. They are made for midgets now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty