Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 25,892 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I just moved from Florida to New England and decided to change my hair color from its Florida-sun-lightened light brown with blonde highlights (I was blonde as a kid and had medium brown hair as a teen/adult) to my natural shade so that my roots wouldn't grow in darker thanks to my new location far from the Equator.

So I went to a salon with good reviews and had a long chat with their second-most senior stylist as to what I wanted: a medium brown that had more depth/richness than my natural color, kind of like chocolate but a bit lighter.

What I got was a really, really dark brown with some red. And I have NO idea how to wear this color. I need help! What makeup colors do I wear? Can I even pull this off?

Please note, the new color is a bit darker and a bit more red than in the pictures. (It's considerably more red in sunlight -- looks like a deep red with no brown in direct sun!)

Here is a pic of my natural Florida color:

And here are two pics of the new color: (I know, I know, not the best pics, but my webcam isn't working -- as I said, the actual color is darker and more red than in the pics)

I mean, to give you an idea, that shirt I'm wearing is BLACK and my hair is long enough that it's extending down a few inches beyond the final picture.

Ugh. Help. What colors of makeup do I use?? Can I even pull this off or should I try a really, really great salon that's about a 90 minute drive each way?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 04:06 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Can't tell a thing from those photos....

Old 09-08-2013, 06:29 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
Try colors in the plum-to-lavender range for lips & eyes. True reds will be hard to wear with auburn hair. Cheek colors, try mauves. Colorwise, it's also hard to wear red up next to your face. If you have a cool complexion, then jewel tones, magentas, blues, teals, pinks will look good. If you have a warm/olive complexion, then rusts, greens, aquas.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,511 times
^^^^ bingo..

Old 09-08-2013, 09:37 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
I don't see what you are concerned about. Wear the same makeup you always do. It really isn't going to make you look as different as you think it will.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:39 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
This should not be a big dramatic what am I going to do moment. Wear what you always wear and move on. It will not have as much impact on your looks as you seem to think it will.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 PM

9 posts, read 20,937 times
Not able to identify your exact color. Sorry, Post some more pics

Old 09-09-2013, 07:09 AM

14 posts, read 35,854 times
Don't bother with more pictures, I think those are enough to tell at least what you're asking for.
What color eyes do you have? They look blue in the first picture, but I could be wrong.

Don't be afraid of dark hair. Dark hair can be really good.
I'm blonde as well and I had gone through the same situation you did, except I dyed my hair from a box when I should've gone to a hair stylist. Be glad that it's at least done properly, whether it's darker than you expected or not.
Remember that your hair color is going to fade to a lighter color after you wash it a couple times. It might seem hopeless now, but embrace to dark hair color.
Dark looks great next to bright colored things. Wear pretty colored dresses or shirts. Bright colors, though don't get into a habit of wearing neons...

For makeup? I need to know your eye color, but dark hair can help with bold looks. If you're a heavy eyeliner wearer, then your makeup will probably look better now that you have dark hair as opposed to your blonde.
You've actually made a pretty versatile choice of hair color if you're wondering what kind of eyeshadow's to wear, because dark colors go well with almost everything.
But again.. I need to know your eye color.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
If your hair goes well with your natural coloring, I don't know why you wouldn't stay with your regular makeup. But you could experiment with different lip and cheek color.

If your hair looks bad with your natural coloring, I'd wait a bit an then have it redone. If the quality of your dye job (if that is what it was) is poor go elsewhere. If the quality is good, but the color is wrong, revisit the stylist and discuss this. It is possible that what you want is not possible.

Consider being happy with your natural color, perhaps with some enhancements. I see so many young women with awful hair that has been colored and stripped and no telling what. They end up with straw instead of hair. You are beautiful as you are. Don't change; enhance.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:30 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Sounds like you may just be going through the shock of going from lighter to darker. I did this a few months ago and there was a definite adjustment period. Like you, I was blonde as a little kid, then light brown as a teen, and I'd been lightening to blonde for decades. I'd been platinum in the recent year before I decided to go dark so it was a big change.

Now, my sons tell me I look "weird" with blonde hair (when they see pics) and that this darker color is perfect for me. When it's first colored it will seem really dark and should lighten up a bit (depending on the color used). As others have said, your makeup shouldn't change much and you will probably be able to wear a greater variety of colors (clothes) than before, at least that was the case with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty