Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 06:10 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times

Advertisements

[quote=TJenkins602;32313081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

Sorry Veyron.

You gon be ugly again. LOL!!!

I do admit, he does come off aggressive in his wording in some cases.

I do find this to be an interesting topic. I do believe (and have seen) that looks do play a factor. But one thing I also realize is the subjectivity of beauty (when people are truly honest with themselves). A lot of what we find attractive is greatly influenced by the media.

I myself admit, even I react to the people I'm more attracted to (internally). I try not to show preference, but I don't know if I actually have or not. I'd like to think I treated everyone equally.

We just have similar experiences.

It is more like the extent that we have seen of behavioral differences as it relates to people of varying levels of perceived attractiveness that makes us notice, especially when it is the same person.

I have read about a lot of theories about issues like this.

But Oh eve, Ro2113, Prince Frog, non-creep, others I personally appreciate your contributions to this thread.

Big Thanks to Veyron for starting this thread.
I know you were being sarcastic but it doesn't even matter to me if I'm ugly or not. People are fake anyways.

Your welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 06:13 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times
Quote:
I have been ugly until I was 16 and started to become womanly and didn't have to wear my older sisters worn clothes anymore, with bears sewn to it, ugh.. I got a real hair cut. I took off my glasses and wore contacts. I walked upright and with pride instead of trying to hide my almost 6ft of insecurity. It made such a difference. The guys who laughed about me before suddenly wanted to date me and I laughed into their faces.

But why keep holding a grudge forever? Get over yourself and make the best possible out of you.

I think alot can be achieved by the way you carry yourself, how you dress, put some effort in your appearance, get rid of acne, etc. etc. Nobody who takes care of him/herself is really ugly. If you let yourself go and become a bitter person like Veyron shows me in every post, plus attacking people - of course nobody likes you or wants to hire you.

You holding a grudge to everybody just makes you internally ugly, which in turn displays on the outside as well. Nobody wants to be around a complainer.

Now I am really out, time to wake up and go home.
It's funny how you didn't respond to my statistics.
Cya.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
[quote=Veyron;32314297]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post

I know you were being sarcastic but it doesn't even matter to me if I'm ugly or not. People are fake anyways.

Your welcome.
Can't argue with that.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:23 PM

67 posts, read 189,165 times
One reason people place a high importance on beauty is because... do you really want to spend your life with a fugly person, but a great personality? There are plenty of attractive people who also have great personalities, so it is the best of both worlds, why short change yourself?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:35 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
We are genetically programed to act this way on some primitive level.

Beauty, etc., is a sign of health, genetic fitness, and desirability for reproducing offspring.

In the animal kingdom, animals with less desirable traits may be killed, injured, shunned, cast-off by females for breeding, or picked on.

Doesn't make it right for humans to be this way, it's just that there is a deep seed planted in our genes to do so.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:37 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
A lot of ugly people are very depressed and don't want to be here just as much as others don't want them here

It's one case where painless euthanasia should be available to those who cannot live with their appearance but who are guilted into staying. I feel that many would take that option rather than a lifetime of loneliness and rejection.
Is that supposed to be a joke? Because it's not funny. If unattractive people can't have fulfilling lives in spite of trying, then that's a societal problem, not their problem.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:47 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Even though you are going to hate me for what I am saying now - but if I would be an employer (and I am not) and I get applicants, I would rather hire a thin person as an obese person. I would think that if a person doesn't have discipline/willpower with him/herself, he/she probably doesn't have discipline at work or any other aspects in his/her life either. Plus he/she is probably moving slower = less work gets done.
I guess the fact that you wouldn't hire the smartest person says everything we need to know.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:28 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Is that supposed to be a joke? Because it's not funny. If unattractive people can't have fulfilling lives in spite of trying, then that's a societal problem, not their problem.
No it wasn't a joke. I know someone who suffers because of his appearance. It's society's fault, but I understand that he just wants out. I posted several links earlier of posts made by people in the same position. This is a disgustingly cruel world, so with that in mind, we need to do far more to help such people by either greater protection, free surgery and mental health support or at least let the ones who have become sick and want out legal euthanasia.

My post may be shocking but it was designed to make people realize how awful it must be to be very unattractive in an ever more superficial and disgustingly self absorbed United States of 2013.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:14 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Everyone acts like ugliness isn't a big deal. People act as if ugliness doesn't play a major part or hindrance in less attractive people's lives. People get treated on how they look. Attractive people get more privileges and get away with alot more things in general then their less attractive counterparts.

Superficial beauty is ingrained in our society to be the most important quality in people.

Why do people deny this? Is the truth to harsh to bare?

Less attractive men have less active sex lives, fewer friends and on average make less money.
This statement is objective.
Whats my point?

The truth is most people care about what someone looks like then what they have to say. As long as your not a total nut job, or mentally handicapped the better you look the better your life will be as long as you have common sense and some wit about you.

If your one of those 30 year old virgins maybe the problem isn't your game, maybe the problem is in the mirror.

In fact alot of people HATE ugly people just for the mere fact your ugly. They do not want to be associated with them, talk to them, touch them, or even acknowledge them. Women especially hate ugly men especially the really attractive women.

What society also doesn't tell you is that someone who is deemed ugly is permanently ugly which is also a lie. Unless you are physically deformed EVERYONE has the potential to look good. EVERYONE HAS UNIQUE CHARACTERISTICS AND AN INNER BEAUTY THAT CAN BE BROUGHT TO LIFE WITH PROPER MAINTENANCE. Imagine Hallie berry with acne all over her face, discolored teeth, discolored skin, and overweight with stretch marks. She has to maintain her image. Cosmetics has come a LOOONg way. I'm not talking nose jobs or lipal suction. I'm talking about braces or teeth whitening. Hitting the gym and using the proper facial cleaner products.

The point is....society is focused on how you present yourself and what you look like. Now bring on the flames and denial.
Hmm. I never considered myself an ...attractive...guy. Perbaps not "ugly" per se, but certainly not a type that snaps womens heads around on looks alone. Yet, I'm happy with myself, and could care less how my looks are rated by anyone. That I am not a model type male, gracing the co er of some magazine, with women throwing themselves at me, doesn't make me walk with my head down, or fill me with bitterness about the "beautiful peoples" standards for looks.

Matter of fact, I'm pretty rough bit. My hair is pretty long at tbe monent, I wear well worn jeans daily, and my hat is well used. I have a lot of scars from various adventures with livestock and other things, and I know my face shows the weather its seen. Hell, I LIKE me. Just ghe way I am.

Ya know, when I think about it, I interact with a lot of very pretty women. Of all ages. Medi al pros of various types, who are a part of helping me deal with the conditions my mispent, very physical and dangerous life have left me with. Not a one even hints at being repulsed by me.

I hold a high humor, and we laugh and joke through even grim procedures. Several close friendships and an occasional lover have happened over the years, and having asked a couple of these quite attractive ladies what they saw in a guy like me, I usually heard, "there's just ...something...about you". That something sure ain't looks. Lmao.

Relax pard. Be yourself. Be proud of who you are. Sure, there's segments of people that judge on looks alone, and the hell with them. Real ladies like fun guys. Because a woman has drop dead looks does not mean she is shallow out of hand. And, there are SO many just delightful women in the world. Just remember, they are human, just like you. They like to laugh, and get through their days and not get a ton of negativity dumped on them.

You don't have to be Brad Pitt to make someone smile or laugh, or to be comfortable in your own hide.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:03 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
It does work. But if you don't look good how will you get the opportunity to tell a joke? Women don't give ugly men the time of day. I have been on both sides of the fence.

This thread's main theme isn't why most women would not date a man who is less attractive. Its main theme is society's denial that lookism plays a major not small part in determining a person's treatment and in some cases life experiences.
I agree with your premise that attractive people receive better treatment in general, but will add some clarification: what one person finds attractive, another may not so much.

Quote:

If I let my acne get out of control, or wear less appealing clothes Im getting snug looks, money being handed back to me via thrown on the counter top and slid to me to insure that the female cashier doesn't touch my hand.

When I'm looking good I have women staring at me like I'm a piece of meat. The difference is extreme. Sometimes I get free stuff, cuts in lines, people smiling at me for no reason, I get brushed on a lot by a lot of women and at least once a day 1 of them find an excuse to grab my arms or touch it.
Could it simply be self-confidence? People tend to feel good when they look good and our perceptions of the world is altered based on how we feel.

Piece of meat? Haha, that phrase always reminds of "The Butter Shave" episode of Seinfeld:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zt_...ature=youtu.be

Quote:
True but I talk to everyday people especially women they all say the same thing. "I choose a guy based of personality, intelligence and how he treats me. etc. etc." That's clearly a lie. Guys act as if they don't do it either.
Why is it a lie? Could it be perhaps that you have a dull or accusatory personality? I mean, if you talk to "everyday" women and they all tell you the same thing...and your response is that they ARE ALL clearly lying...

Or perhaps, like all of the other guys on here who claim women are "liars", the problem is you, not them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty