Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 04:57 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Of all the stupid things to get twisted out about.

I generally call people the name the tell me when we are introduced. But to get offended when a perfectly common variant of your name is used, when you have one of the most common names on the planet is silly. Also, to be honest, people tend to call others by their full formal names when they want to distance themselves from the person. Nicknames inherently are more familiar and used when people want to create friendships or intimacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 12:10 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,991 times
I noticed a while ago that the universal use of shortened names or nickname was very much an anglosphere thing and that Americans were the most enthusiastic about it.

In America, someone who insists on being called Lawrence all the time, instead of Larry comes across as slightly odd. Williams are always Bills or Billys. Roberts are very often Bobs. Theodores are Teds, etc.

In other countries and cultures that I'm familiar with, shortened names and nicknames are used only by family and very close friends. It's hard to imagine a french president named Edouard being refered to as Eddie in the press.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:43 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
I ignore abbreviations of my name. Simply no reaction:>) I have been know to return office mail as "unknown". Word get around after a while.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:46 PM

260 posts, read 473,172 times
It's worth considering that sometimes people might shorten names out of affection, eg like what they used to call a pet name, so it might be a sign someone likes you.

Also if someone hears someone else calling you the shortened version, they might just assume that that is what you are known as.

There are people I work with that I will always use the full version of their name because I don't feel that level of intimacy with them to use the shortened version.

My name doesn't have a common diminutive, so I've actually always liked it if someone comes up with a (nice) nickname for me.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:48 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Of all the stupid things to get twisted out about.

I generally call people the name the tell me when we are introduced. But to get offended when a perfectly common variant of your name is used, when you have one of the most common names on the planet is silly. Also, to be honest, people tend to call others by their full formal names when they want to distance themselves from the person. Nicknames inherently are more familiar and used when people want to create friendships or intimacy.
I don't get offended, I just think it's a little bit rude when I say "Hey I'm Michael" and they're like "nice to meet you Mike". I just think they should at least ask me first if they want to use a nickname. My full [first] name is perfectly fine.

Now if I insisted they called me "Mr. ___", that would be kind of weird unless I was their teacher or something.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:58 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
My full name is usually abbreviated and nicknamed because people can't pronounce Indian names with ease. So, I tell them to just use the first 3 letters to make their lives easier. It is not exactly forced, but requested by others for ease of communication. I don't want to be mean or rude to them, so I let it pass. As long as they are not making fun of my name and call me for any legitimate reason, I have no problem using nicknames.

I am a guy, so considering the fact that 95 % of the posters in this forum are women, my experiences related with using nicknames may be very different from yours. I take it that women easily get offended or disrespected when men call them by their nicknames. So unless I know them really well, I usually say "Ms/Mrs. -----------" while talking for the first time to a women face to face.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:26 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Then the nickname is NOT being "forced" on you... you allow it!

And what does this have to do with fashion & Beauty?
Because like fashion and beauty, it is usually rooted in vanity?

Fashion and beauty, now there is one, until someone comments you aren't beautiful or have beauty and then the earth shakes.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I have basically the opposite experience. My given name is the short version of a common longer name. Think "Doug" vs. "Douglas" (it's not that, I'm female, but along those lines). You would not believe the number of people who have insisted that my name MUST BE [long version] and ARGUED with me about it...as if I wouldn't know my own name.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:23 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yeah, if my parents managed to call me by my complete name throughout my whole childhood, then any other person can call me by my full name as well. I told people before who kept forgetting my "oh so complicated name" they should just call me DUDE.
Maybe they saw your C-D handle???

Old 12-04-2013, 06:14 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have basically the opposite experience. My given name is the short version of a common longer name. Think "Doug" vs. "Douglas" (it's not that, I'm female, but along those lines). You would not believe the number of people who have insisted that my name MUST BE [long version] and ARGUED with me about it...as if I wouldn't know my own name.

I get it, kinda like "Lizzie Borden", she was christened "Lizzie", not "Elizabeth"......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty