Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:10 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
You know I try to.stay ouf of these topics nowadays because I am not interested in debates but I understand some of what you are saying. Men have always been expected to be a certain way and even as times have changed men are still with the short end of the stick. I agree that society is responsible for this, they make all kinds of clothes and great products for women to stay looking young and look their best but for men there is practically nothing and when men try to take care of their bodies then they are acussed of being gay and wussies and all that crap. Yes our society especially the extremely conservative segment of it is still stuck in the 50's but hey that is how it goes. I take care of myself and have no problem with removing body hair from places I don't like, I don't think it has taken an ounce of manhood out of me.
Yeah exactly...it's not as bad in say Italy or Korea, where men are allowed to dress up, even wear makeup (to a degree), without social stigma, and where they can be the desired instead of the ones always being the desirer.

Since when has looking sexy been only for women?? It's as if the world is seen through male eyes...heck even women are starting to have that 'male gaze'. Eventually women might all just turn into lesbians since men are so boring to look at. Perhaps be good since we'll all go extinct, lol just joking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
Whoa, slow down there. You are all over the board on this. Lets take it one at a time:

1. Removing body hair - Not feminine.
2. Wearing makeup - feminine. Usually means gay (unless they are on tv or in a rock band).
3. Caring about fashion - Not feminine if caring about MENS fashion. Caring about designer purses, accessorizing, and overall "Project Runway" type fashion is feminine and gay.
4. About body in general - Not feminine. If physical (i.e., exercise) this is normal and NOT feminine. If he gets all into moisturizers, non shaving related hydration products, etc. Usually means feminine and/or gay. But for the most part, "body in general" is just basic good health and hygiene.

I think cosmetics might have gone a bit too far, but there's nothing wrong if a man wants to look after his skin.

This here is 'Merica. This is OUR culture. This isn't the animal world either. This is the good ol Red, White and Blue. We like men to be men, and we like women to be women.
In many cultures/societies throughout history men have worn makeup, a lot of jewellery, bright flowery clothing...in that place or time there was no idea of it being 'feminine.' Of course in some cultures it was. In some cultures it was even seen as a more masculine thing.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:18 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
To the OP, please dont take the postings of those on here as representing the majority opinion of society. Just because a few people on here are homophobic doesnt mean that everyone in the real world shares their opinion.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
To the OP, please dont take the postings of those on here as representing the majority opinion of society. Just because a few people on here are homophobic doesnt mean that everyone in the real world shares their opinion.
Yes I know. I think the average age here is like 45 or something anyway, isn't it?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:40 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
For instance if there's a thread about men removing body hair, wearing makeup, caring about fashion, about their body in general, many women seem disdainful and judgemental about it.

I mean ask yourself, who made these things 'feminine' to begin with? Human society did, there's nothing innately feminine about that. In some cultures it is actually men who wear makeup, and in the animal world it's usually males who are the more eye-catching, colourful, 'pretty' gender (think peacocks.etc).

I think there are too many men who buy into the idea that fashion and appearances and looking beautiful is a female domain. This restricted 1950s view of the world will change one day, everything changes. I guess I feel women here at least seem very conservative in terms of their idea of male beauty. Basically men should be 'men' with the very narrow man-made definition.
haha, wow! You've missed some important threads! Some of the women here are very into more sensitive guys, fashionable guys, gentle guys. Someone posted a thread disparaging the trend away from guys who weren't the traditional masculine type, and a ton of people posted to defend that trend as a very healthy development.

Having a bad day, Postman? Life isn't as bad as you think. Cheer up.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:16 AM

686 posts, read 1,231,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
In many cultures/societies throughout history men have worn makeup, a lot of jewellery, bright flowery clothing...in that place or time there was no idea of it being 'feminine.' Of course in some cultures it was. In some cultures it was even seen as a more masculine thing.
Is this a thread about ancient cultures or present day America? Whatever was done in ancient times is fine and dandy, but this is 2014 America and there are just some things that are widely considered NORMAL and things that are ABNORMAL. Men being feminine is definitely ABNORMAL.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:22 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Is this a thread about ancient cultures or present day America? Whatever was done in ancient times is fine and dandy, but this is 2014 America and there are just some things that are widely considered NORMAL and things that are ABNORMAL. Men being feminine is definitely ABNORMAL.
Speak for yourself. I know plenty of guys who are in some way feminine and a lot of women who are in some way masculine. Absolutely nothing abnormal (read as "wrong") about it.

If people dont like feminine men then dont hang out or date feminine men. Its as simple as that. Dont need to laugh at them or degrade them. Just dont date em. Dont like fast food? Dont eat at fast food restaurants. Dont like sand? Dont go to the beach. Dont like the color red? Dont buy stuff thats red. See how easy it is? I dont particularly like reality shows but i dont give a rats patooty if others watch them. Why? Because it aint hurting me. If a person wants to embrace their opposite gender in some way then fine, more power to em.

Last edited by pythonis; 03-29-2014 at 01:31 AM..

Old 03-29-2014, 03:31 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
People should just be who they are and not worry about what other people think. HOWEVER lots of the things the OP listed are done because they ARE worried about what other people think. Social influence like someone said (only better). The media spends a lot of time mocking men in sitcoms, in advertising. I have sons. I notice this stuff. It's no wonder little boys wish they were little girls. I love men, hairy, smelly (from hard work, with bathing soon-to-follow), rough, tough, strong, smart, not-so-smart. Whatever. It's how they're made. You all have that inner animal, admit it.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Well normal changes with time and place. One day, believe it or not, these norms which seem so set in stone will change. Men wore makeup in Egypt for centuries, I don't think a century or so of convention is really much when you think of it. I'm trying to broaden people's minds and dispel their assumptions/associations. Of course some people are too narrow-minded or ignorant to realise this, acting as if these conventions are as set in stone as the law of gravity.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:47 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times
I prefer feminine men. I wish more would express their feminine sides (those who are that way inclined). Please be as feminine as you want. Be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty