Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 05:33 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,746,115 times

Advertisements

I've been more and more intrigued by the idea of a capsule wardrobe, but I'm a bit flummoxed on how to go about reaching this end result.

Every time I see a magazine spread about the essential pieces for a capsule wardrobe, half the pieces tend to be things that just don't work on my body type. For example, the last few I saw relied heavily on button down shirts/blouses and blazers. I'm a very top heavy hourglass, and I just can't do button-downs (they wind up looking obscene) or blazers (they wind up making me look the size/shape of a house.)

I'm also on the small size of plus sized - I usually hover around a 16 to an 18. And I work in a field where I don't need to wear traditional business attire, but I dress a notch or two above business casual. Typical work-wear for me involves trousers (denim trousers, cords, the occasional wool blend tweed or houndstooth) with twin sets.

My weekend/casual wardrobe is an area where I really struggle. I admire the women who look effortlessly chic with 'casual ease' but can never figure out how to dress to portray this, myself.

For those who have achieved a capsule wardrobe, would you mind sharing your secrets? I'd really appreciate a list or breakdown of the items in your wardrobe, and if you can give me some examples of how you mix and match in a way to keep your wardrobe feeling fresh that would be awesome.

I'd also like to hear from people who experimented with a capsule wardrobe and decided it wasn't for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 11:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
capsule wardrobew - Bing Images

Old 04-06-2014, 12:35 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
FYI have you tried bravissimo or st. Bustier for clothing. Either bra sized or designed for busty women. Think G not D. This will help you with the fit problem. I get all blazers altered to add darts so they fit properly.

Most of the capsule wardrobe items aren't really me. My capsule is more like pencil skirts and cardigans. Vs blazers and button downs.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:00 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Wow. My late mother was WAY ahead of the curve here. She didn't use the term capsule wardrobe, but that's what she did.

She made me pick colors and mine were light gray, mauve, ivory and charcoal. I've fallen away from that now... dressing for work now is crappy shirts and ratty jeans but for several years I dressed real nice for banking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty