Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:41 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,736 times

Advertisements

I've done this twice. Once was when I was in the ER and hadn't been able to stop throwing up for hours (really, I would've shown up naked and not particularly cared at that point) and the second time in the regular doctor's office when I was having neck spasms and could barely move without sharp pain (I was not changing because someone might be offended at my pjs.)

When I'm capable of dressing like a normal person, I do. I usually assume people in their pjs in public have a good reason, or are just having a bad day, or really don't know any better. In all of those cases I simply feel sorry for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 04:52 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
I've seen this "style" almost everywhere especially in the teen/20s age group. I don't particularly care what other people where in public though so it doesn't bother me. I was in the hospital again recently and had to go through the ER first. I saw a guy walk in (from the cold) in pajamas, a terry robe and slippers. I understand being sick and needing the ER, but he was ambulatory and probably able to put on a coat. He made a big production about not feeling well and kept pacing through the waiting area sliding his feet and moaning so I think it was more of a pre-planned "presentation" to come dressed like that versus some illness/condition that prevented him from changing. I didn't particularly care what he was wearing. It just stood out in that environment.

All in all, though, I think this falls in the category of self-respect and respect for others and one's community. Unfortunately, it appears to be declining across the board.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:22 PM

73 posts, read 99,936 times
I do see women in these lounging pants and tops in stores occasionally. Heck today while my husband was pumping gas I saw a women in a nightgown and bedroom slippers pumping her gas. I figured there had to be an interesting story there.
I remember years ago when I'd see a woman at the grocery store in hair curlers. Lots of people thought that was just horrible. LOL I guess as we get older the little things don't matter as much anymore. I try to live by, Don't sweat the small stuff and remember it's all small stuff. We are much happier when we don't worry about what others do.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:53 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I had an appointment yesterday at a large ob/gyn clinic and probably half the women waiting there were wearing print pajama pants and tank tops.

Is this some new trend, or just a lot of lazy people? I know people go to Walmart in their pajamas, but I've never seen this at a doctor's office before.
I've seen this and have no issue with it, some might be there for a minor surgery or had major surgery there for a follow up.. My daughters both wore PJ's and tank tops when they had their wisdom teeth pulled, to be comfy..

Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
When I had walking pneumonia years ago I went to the ER in my PJ's and robe, why to sick and didn't care.....That's so unlike me but when you feel like death , you don't care...

Old 04-02-2014, 07:38 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, with all these modern conveniences, people have even less time to put on some clothes? Maybe society should do away with cell phones, cars, microwaves, fast food, ect, that way people have more time.

Not even that, it takes the same amount of time to actually put on pajamas as it does many other clothing items, with the exceptions of tucked in shirts, etc, and even then, the extra time is only a few minutes.
Maybe they are sick (clue is going to the doctor) and they are having difficulties getting dressed. They have someone helping them. The doctor is called, no need for ambulance just bring them in.

Guess what? If they get brought in covered only in a bedsheet, too bad for those that don't like it, it isn't they call.

All those modern conveniences give too many people too much time to worry about what other people wear.

Hmm, wear clothes to bed often? Maybe they woke up ill and they have someone driving them? Hold on, you're not going out of the house like that, go back and get dressed. Yeah, that oughta work, have to look presentable for others.

Not.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:40 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,887 times
Why would anyone even care? Who dresses up to go to the gynecologist? Thats the least likely place you'd meet men. Can't imagine any normal woman dressing up for that unless the doctor looks like George Clooney.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:44 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
the pain management physician I work for describes observations about a patient's appearance in the medical report, including tattoos, piercings, hygiene and dress. One new patient he actually declined to treat because of the many piercings indicated, to him, someone prone to diverting behavior--in other words, looking to get prescription drugs to resell, so you might want to think twice before you dress outrageously, or especially unconventionally and/or slovenly for a doctor visit. On the other hand, I'm sure ER visits are seen differently.
We made note of that type of thing in the ER too. It did not necessarily affect treatment. Of course, we couldn't turn anyone away either.

As far as PJ's in the OB/GYN office, I assume that it's the latest trend for easy in/easy out maternity wear.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

So, do these women wear panties and bras under their jammies?
There were bras...the straps were showing or the bras were colored and showed through the white ribbed tank tops.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Why would anyone even care? Who dresses up to go to the gynecologist? Thats the least likely place you'd meet men. Can't imagine any normal woman dressing up for that unless the doctor looks like George Clooney.

Surprised that some people equate........."dresses up".. to simply putting on something other than what they crawled out of bed wearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty