Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times

Advertisements

I have really fair skin and enough dark facial hair to make me look like a guy, if you only look at my chin and upper lip. This disgusting problem makes me quite self conscious, especially when I'm working at the middle schools. I live in a very conservative area, so I can imagine this look isn't winning me any good graces. I mostly control it by shaving, because it's too coarse to remove via other methods. Waxing doesn't even work on the chin, because there are a lot of in-grown hairs. I thought about getting laser treatment, but I have a hormone imbalance that may mean the hair continues to grow like this. I'm taking medication, but, from what I've seen, it doesn't help much. I thought about getting laser treatments, but I don't know if that would do much good, either. Even makeup does little to cover it and doesn't look natural. I do feel like the unwanted facial hair, though, has been affecting me negatively and adding to the way I may be perceived in a less than positive light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 10:14 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Shaving will make the ends coarser, which will make it look like more hair. You should pluck the hair, and you should exfoliate regularly to deal with the ingrown hairs.

Have you talked to the doctor who prescribed your medication, to see if maybe you need something different or a different dosage?

I would lean toward laser treatments, but I wonder if the hormone imbalance would just make the hair come back.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:25 AM

I may try laser, but if it grows back, that's going to be too expensive. I'm still on a pretty tight budget, and having to deal with appearance issues is just adding more money worries and stress. Plus, I simply doubt my ability to put myself together successfully. I've just gotten into the habit of "looking like I don't care" so much that I don't even think I can put myself together.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:28 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Have you talked to either your doctor or an aesthetician about this issue? There may be other options that you aren't thinking of.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
The reason I was thinking laser might grow back is that I was looking into laser for my daughter (she has a happy trail), and read that if it's done while they're still going through puberty, it will all grow back because of fluctuating hormone levels. But I was just reading that laser hair removal can work very well for women with PCOS.

You should ask your doctor for a referral to a dermatologist.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The reason I was thinking laser might grow back is that I was looking into laser for my daughter (she has a happy trail), and read that if it's done while they're still going through puberty, it will all grow back because of fluctuating hormone levels. But I was just reading that laser hair removal can work very well for women with PCOS.

You should ask your doctor for a referral to a dermatologist.
I should perhaps look into it, then. Thank you.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Threading and electrolysis as shorter term solutions. But you are a good candidate for lasers since your hair/skin are high contrast.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,697,643 times
For men; how about strains of hair above the beard line, uneven beard line or slightly large neck hair region?

Old 07-09-2014, 12:31 PM

Here's a picture to give you an idea of how bad it is. The red circles mark areas with thick dark hair growth. The picture isn't the best resolution, but hopefully it will give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for unwanted facial hair...-ick_20140708_152316.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty