Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 02:33 PM

663 posts, read 777,802 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a female and she said that she would never go out without makeup and good clothing for fear of getting judged.

Then I asked, "well do you judge other people? Because I often just wake up, put on whatever is on the floor, and then go out. I also see lots of guys just wear whatever, not really caring too much. Would you say, wow those guys are slobs!"

She says, "but guys are different. I don't judge guys as much as I do other women."

As well,

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...f-someone.html

in this thread, OP (a female) was taking notice of the woman's entire dress style. I can't help but wonder do women take also notice of every inch of what the guy wears?

Say if I wore a nice suit with nice shoes but I didn't bother styling my hair or something like that, would women take notice and say, "why did that guy take all that time to wear a really nice suit but he didn't even bother to style his hair!!!"
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 04:30 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,727 times
Well each gender tends to judge it's own members more harshly due to competition, and possible jealousy, etc.

Like **** shaming. Women will call other women sluts or whores quicker than many men will. And men will put down other men quicker than some women will-being a wuss, pretty boy, man-*****, etc.

So, with things like vanity, and dating, women look at what other women have going on, either to make themselves feel better, keep up with styles, or to laugh at the misfortune of the women, or types of women they can't stand-but that goes along with the 1st one.

Not everyone is like this of course. Some men and women couldn't care less about other people in general. But for the more petty, jealous, or judgmental ones, it tends to be toward their fellow men and women more than the opposite. Because, sans gay people, they are in competition to look better than other woman, and attract more/or better men than other women. It's a petty/competition things for many.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Say if I wore a nice suit with nice shoes but I didn't bother styling my hair or something like that, would women take notice and say, "why did that guy take all that time to wear a really nice suit but he didn't even bother to style his hair!!!"
You commented on my thread and I will fill you in on my own thought process. Personally, I happen to notice everyone's clothing. I don't know why. I notice for of the clothing all sorts of stuff. I am also the friend people seek advice on clothing from. I am the de facto personal shopper for my friends because I am good at picking out stuff that will loo nice on people.

I also notice if things look unintentionally out of place. As for you unstyled hair example? Well it depends. Does it look like you are trying to do bed head or did you wake up and not comb it. One of the memorable outfits at my high school prom was a guy who wore a purple suit. The best part of his outfit was his converse. Now yes technically converse do not go,with his suit. But this guy wore converse daily, and this was his way of personalizing his prom outfit. It was clearly intentional. They were a new fresh pair of converse. Not the ones who wore every day with his shorts.

Men, lucky for you, aren't "judged" as much for appearance. But don't think people do not notice. I absolutely notice when people have great shoes, a cool outfit or whatever else.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:38 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
men are slobs and pigs

women are expected to have higher standards,,

although,,i remember working in a grocery store - and the ladies would be coming in with rollers on-
when can that fashion statement make a return??

Old 08-20-2014, 12:30 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,889 times
I dont judge men or women based on their clothing. I can control what I wear and my thoughts, thats it.

BUT i will use others peoples clothing to teach my daughters what is ok or not ok to wear.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:41 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
I've had many girlfriends in the past and all they do is evaluate, criticize, mock, or envy of the styling of other females.

One of my gf who part-time models always mock at other women, she's like the fashion police.

Another gf I've dated, is always taking notes on what other women wears.

And another gf who is a bit chunky is always envious of other women is wearing.

So in general I think women are very much more judgmental of other women's styling.

None of them ever cares about what guys wear except when the guy is gay.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
This is probably more prevalent in younger women. Although I do lament other women's choices, in my head, from time to time. As we get older though, we are supposed to become wiser. So, I try not to judge.

Besides, I am sure others are thinking about me, "Why does she wear that old thing?" or "Why doesn't she lose a few pounds?"

Just don't be in my face about it, and I won't be in your face about it either.

But really, don't we have better things to think about?

And, I really appreciate a nicely turned out mature man.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:16 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
I love being a guy because of this.

Every once in a while I'll think that wearing the same shirt twice in a week at the office might be noticed- and it will by the women but never, ever by any of the guys! And I'm gay but still fashioned challenged haha (I abhor clothes shopping! I think I'm the typical guy in this regard- like a rare hunting expedition, we prepare, target, get in, get out as fast as possible with the prize) -and while I'll appreciate a well dressed man and love a stylish, beautiful woman, I don't think I even notice negatively any but the most slovenly dressed individuals- like shorts and a tank top at the ballet.

Only women (not all) and catty gays ever participate in this sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty