Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 01:37 AM

732 posts, read 970,120 times

Advertisements

I recently tried an experiment on myself. Normally I eat nutritious foods and avoid junk food, have for years (although I do on rare occasions buy a bag of potato chips), but I decided to buy a box of chocolate chip cookies and eat them to add some quick-to-eat calories as opposed to having to spend my time cooking the foods I normally get most of my calories from.

The box of cookies was only a 5.5 ounce box ([Dr.] Lucy brand gluten-free).

Not being used to eating sugary foods, I ate half the box on one day then the other half the next.

The effects:
1. Tiredness, low energy. Normally the sugary snacks I eat are fresh fruit--bananas, oranges, sometimes strawberries, blueberries, apples, peaches--and they tend to make me energetic, especially the bananas and I think it's due to the potassium.

2. Areas of dry skin by the third day (the day after eating the last half of the box).

3. Itching skin & scalp, apparently raised histamine.

I'm 44 and don't have wrinkles on my face (only wrinkles at joints, on palms, usual places) but I don't doubt if I continue eating cookies I'd get wrinkles if they're a result of dry skin.

It looks like sugary foods are worse than potato chips because potato chips don't dry out my skin (at least not the low-sodium kind), and potato chips don't give me low energy (probably die to the potassium). However, potato chips do sometimes to some degree cause me to get itchy skin (release histamine).

I'm inclined to believe sugar is a major culprit in prematurely aging people and that even if a person eats healthy, nutritious foods (like I do), eating mostly healthy, nutritious foods isn't enough to counteract the negative effects of sugary junk foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 06:05 AM

22,636 posts, read 47,782,880 times
Eating 5 ounces of cookies would not result in dry skin....

Old 11-15-2014, 07:45 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
I would doubt that the sugar in a few servings of cookies is responsible for any of these symptoms.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:59 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,844,279 times
I don't know, I mean a lot of foods, especially fruits and vegetables, are rife with antioxidants that fight what they call "free radicals" that do all kinds of damage to one's body. But I agree, not taking care of yourself is the worst thing you can do for your body.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:59 AM

17,555 posts, read 39,204,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
I recently tried an experiment on myself. Normally I eat nutritious foods and avoid junk food, have for years (although I do on rare occasions buy a bag of potato chips), but I decided to buy a box of chocolate chip cookies and eat them to add some quick-to-eat calories as opposed to having to spend my time cooking the foods I normally get most of my calories from.

The box of cookies was only a 5.5 ounce box ([Dr.] Lucy brand gluten-free).

Not being used to eating sugary foods, I ate half the box on one day then the other half the next.

The effects:
1. Tiredness, low energy. Normally the sugary snacks I eat are fresh fruit--bananas, oranges, sometimes strawberries, blueberries, apples, peaches--and they tend to make me energetic, especially the bananas and I think it's due to the potassium.

2. Areas of dry skin by the third day (the day after eating the last half of the box).

3. Itching skin & scalp, apparently raised histamine.

I'm 44 and don't have wrinkles on my face (only wrinkles at joints, on palms, usual places) but I don't doubt if I continue eating cookies I'd get wrinkles if they're a result of dry skin.

It looks like sugary foods are worse than potato chips because potato chips don't dry out my skin (at least not the low-sodium kind), and potato chips don't give me low energy (probably die to the potassium). However, potato chips do sometimes to some degree cause me to get itchy skin (release histamine).

I'm inclined to believe sugar is a major culprit in prematurely aging people and that even if a person eats healthy, nutritious foods (like I do), eating mostly healthy, nutritious foods isn't enough to counteract the negative effects of sugary junk foods.
Sugars and simple carbs are bad because they create Advanced Glycation End products (AGE for short) they are very aging. Read here:

Why Avoiding Sugar is a Good Anti-Aging Strategy

That said, a few cookies in an otherwise healthy diet are not going to cause those symptoms unless you were directly allergic to something in them.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:21 AM

5,135 posts, read 4,495,572 times
I don't think you can see noticeable changes so quickly with just a couple servings of cookies.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:52 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,232,040 times
I only know the toll of sugar on my mouth. I'm one of those people who has a healthy body & skin, but a smelly mouth. Even though I brush twice a day, the smell still reeks like CRAZY. This is what ruins my image entirely, LOL .

Old 11-15-2014, 01:57 PM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times
OP, the fatigue probably comes from the fact that sugar causes a spike in blood sugar, then a crash. When it crashes is when you feel fatigue. Keep blood sugar stable by including protein with meals and snacks (for ex.: cheese with crackers, or even a little cheese with potato chips).

Old 11-15-2014, 02:01 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,232,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
cheese with crackers, or even a little cheese with potato chips.
Ugh, no way. That's the combo to get fat.

Hit the barbell racks, then chug down a protein shake with sugar + peanuts. That prevents the crash, fills you up, and makes you fit.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:08 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,641,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I only know the toll of sugar on my mouth. I'm one of those people who has a healthy body & skin, but a smelly mouth. Even though I brush twice a day, the smell still reeks like CRAZY. This is what ruins my image entirely, LOL .
Brush your tongue and remove the white. It should be pink like a baby's. That's the main culprit of bad breath. And unrefined coconut oil is your best friend. Use it as a natural mouthwash. It kills ALL the bacteria, whitens the teeth, strengthens the gums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty