Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:38 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,594,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Sorry, I'm not buying that you ever heard this let alone more than once.

And I think you're describing people who simply don't take care of their hair; and probably looked a mess at 25.

Also funny being a GUY making this post since you clearly have no idea that women's hair changes at menopause and so does their tolerance for B.S and that includes being sweaty with long messy hair or caring what other people, especially GUYS think. LOL
Sorry I didn't have the opportunity to record this when I have heard it, but I have heard variations of it several times. The attitude bewilders me. That was the point of the original post, no more and no less.

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 01:57 PM

779 posts, read 632,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Sorry, I'm not buying that you ever heard this let alone more than once.

And I think you're describing people who simply don't take care of their hair; and probably looked a mess at 25.

Also funny being a GUY making this post since you clearly have no idea that women's hair changes at menopause and so does their tolerance for B.S and that includes being sweaty with long messy hair or caring what other people, especially GUYS think. LOL
I am a female and I've started hearing that over the years. Some friends defend their long hair and they are in the their 50's so I started paying more attention to the attitudes that people have about long hair and age. I think it is pretty off but it is not a made up issue.

Google "olde rwomen long hair" and you start seeing people saying that you should break the rule which only makes sense if it seems as if there there is such a rule or did you mean something else by that statement.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:14 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Sorry I didn't have the opportunity to record this when I have heard it, but I have heard variations of it several times. The attitude bewilders me. That was the point of the original post, no more and no less.

Don in Austin
Well, I heard it once.....at the DMV.

I was getting my license renewed, I was in my early 50's, checking my hair before getting my picture taken for the new license.

The woman behind the counter said: "Don't you think you would look younger if you cut your hair short?"

I said: "Hell no!"

Mind you, this was coming from a short, chubby, dumpy woman who looked older than I did and was probably 10 years younger than me.....who was sporting a short, mousy "old lady" hairstyle herself......and wearing a square cut flowered knit tee with elastic waisted stretch pants. LOL

I thought to myself: "Really? .....and I would take fashion advice from the likes of you because.....?"

I should have said: ".......and you would look 10 years younger if you dropped about 35 pounds and put some highlights in your hair."

Old 10-10-2014, 04:01 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
I am a female and I've started hearing that over the years. Some friends defend their long hair and they are in the their 50's so I started paying more attention to the attitudes that people have about long hair and age. I think it is pretty off but it is not a made up issue.

Google "olde rwomen long hair" and you start seeing people saying that you should break the rule which only makes sense if it seems as if there there is such a rule or did you mean something else by that statement.
There seems to be such a rule and I have no idea why. If an 80 year old lady wishes to have hair to her waist and dye it purple and green punk stripes more power to her as far as I am concerned.

Don in Austin

Old 10-10-2014, 07:42 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh my, we can't have that now, can we.

"NO SEX FOR YOU!" says the Sex Nazi!

My poor husband...having to look at my short hair every day. Maybe he married me because he has a thing for boys and just pretends I am one - since obviously I can only look like a boy since my hair is short. I wonder if I'll look like an old man when I'm old? Oh wait, I forgot - I AM old! How silly of me.

My burka is in the wash, so I guess I'll go put on my mom jeans and sweatshirt with little birds and birdhouses appliqued on it. Those should go nicely with my orthopedic goldtone tennis shoes.
OMG. You girls have got me dying laughing! Too funny!

BTW, where are all these burkas you've been looking at? Is there a website selling burkas? Am I missing this?

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 10-10-2014 at 07:52 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LACTIC ACID, LADIES - once a week! LOL
You know, you might laugh when I say this, but for lactic acid treatment, I use plain yogurt on my face. Does a great job, and it's a lot less expensive!

Old 10-10-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Forgive my bluntness here, but you make it sound like we all ought just sew it up and call it a done deal
Ew, ouch! SEW it up? Would that be really necessary?

Old 10-10-2014, 10:02 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
newsflash - they do not

wear I live, women don't Get Old

they just get Better
then they die

having said that, a friend has long straight waist length hair with a blunt fringe @ 60, colour Mouse

it would look 100x better if she chopped it, it just hangs there, dead.

but it would do the same on a 20 yr old.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
You know, you might laugh when I say this, but for lactic acid treatment, I use plain yogurt on my face. Does a great job, and it's a lot less expensive!
I am sure that would work! That being said, the bottle of lactic acid I buy on Amazon is only 7 dollars and lasts about 4-6 months. But the lactic acid facial I got one time cost about $90. RIP OFF.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:52 AM

466 posts, read 581,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomoley View Post
Long hair looks beautiful when it's in good shape -- not too dry, not too thin, not too brittle. This applies to a woman of any age, and I think that generally-speaking, as we age, our aging hair sometimes tends to take on these not-so-attractive qualities.

Many of us, therefore, come to the consensus that we look better with our hair short once it no longer looks healthy. This, coupled with the desire to have an "easy" style, is the reason most women end up cutting their hair as they get older.

If you enjoy having your hair long and believe you look your best this way, then more power to you... I frequently see ladies in their 60's-70's with long, beautiful hair, and I LOVE it! In fact, just today I ran into a stunning older woman with hip-length, thick, wavy, salt & pepper hair... couldn't help stopping her to tell her how gorgeous she is.
I agree with you 100%. If you keep your hair in good shape wear it whatever length you want. I am in the 60's-70's range and wear my white hair reasonably short. I do pamper my hair by using Pro Naturals Hair Repair System. If your hair feels good you feel and look good whatever the length!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty