Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 11:09 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have a Movado my DH paid $5000 for. It sits in the safe. Well, a few times I pawned it to get out of a jam.

My everyday watch is a Timex with a purple band. That's my way of being high fashion!

My DS bought me a beautiful Amitron watch from Amazon. Its black leather, black face, goldtone numbers, and a little diamond at the 12 position. I find I get more use from that because I'm not always worried about losing or breaking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:05 PM

324 posts, read 331,021 times
$300 range look at tissot, $500+ look at brera, I think you should go to a jewelry store and ask them to show you a watch in your price range. Buy the one you'll fall in love with, Also you can ask them to show you consignment watches.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:14 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I got a really cool watch at WalMart for $7.

Where does a 19-year-old get money to spend hundreds on a watch? Where did I go wrong ...

Old 03-11-2015, 07:31 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
You should first determine what you like in a watch, not what you think everyone else will like. That way, you are likely to wear it more often. Personally, I like the look of silver-toned watches made of stainless steel. From there you have to determine which dial color you prefer. Black is going to be something that goes with nearly anything you wear and won't go out of style. You can also go with white, or even blue. Then, choose which shape you prefer...round, rectangular, square? Do you want a smaller women's watch or a man's watch that will fit larger on your wrist and have greater wrist presence?

By the way, nothing wrong with wearing a nice watch while dressing down in an old t-shirt. There are certain watches that can be worn for any occasion. Here are a few in different price points to consider:

$100 - $300

Seiko
Citizen
Coach

$400 - $800

Movado
Hamilton
Tissot

$1,000

Oris
Tag Heuer
Longines

You may also want to look at used/previously owned watches that are sold by reputable jewelers. You can save a lot on brand name watches without paying full retail. You may be able to score a nice model Tag or Omega for $1,000.

Me personally, I would avoid the designer brands like Coach, Gucci, and the like. Find a tried and true brand that's been around. Many of them have different tiers of quality, for example, you can buy a Seiko for $150 or $3,000. All depends.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:30 PM

324 posts, read 331,021 times
+1 on designer brands, to add to that if you get a gold tone watch , remember that you will constantly rub it on your desk ( as a student assume you take notes) it will rub/ scratch off. So maybe a stainless steel leather or rubber band.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:53 PM

526 posts, read 899,062 times
at 19 don't u ever want to be impulsive?? and not worry about your watch?

Old 03-12-2015, 03:06 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
I know a very stylish lady who sometimes wears a watch that I really like. I don't usually like women's watches. Couldn't find one that looked like hers, but imagine one in this basic style. In a mid-size (smaller). I personally don't like metal bands, but I like the way this kind looks. This could go with any imaginable outfit, from dressy to very casual.

Amazon.com: Invicta Men's 13617 Specialty Chronograph Black Dial Two Tone Stainless Steel Watch: Invicta: Watches

Old 03-13-2015, 10:10 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Yeah, use the CLOCK on your cellphone/smartphone/gadget.........that's what I do.

Fancy watch is just something to make you the target of thieves.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:52 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewme18 View Post
Hi everyone, I am 19 year old year female. I'm trying to get more into fashion and look more sophisticated. Personally I know the saying "look good, feel good" is so true for me. My fashion style is just a mess right now honestly. So I think buying a watch would be a good investment and help me look more fashionable. It would also be motivation to me to dress nicely. I can't wear an ugly, ratty t-shirt with an expensive watch, that's just wrong.

I don't want a cheap watch though. I'm thinking I could spend $200-$300 for this watch, or should I spend $500? Or $1000? I don't really know how much I need to spend. Should I save up and spend 1k+ on a watch? Or is $300 a good amount?

I would want to wear something everyday. I want people to know that I spent a good amount of money on this watch.

Should I choose a gold or silver watch? Or a black? Or should I get two watches? I'm not sure which way to go. I have pale skin, long dark brown hair, and green eyes, if that's a factor.

Now unfortunately I can't buy a rolex or cartier at this point in my life. I might buy one when I'm older and am a young professional (like 23 or something) but right now I just can't spend the money. But I think I can still look good with a much less expensive watch.

Any advice? Links would be helpful.

If anyone needs to know more about myself and my preferences, I will be happy to answer any questions.

Anyways I really appreciate anyone who helps me out. Thank you!

Here's to looking good and fashionable in 2015 and beyond!
I suspect there is something wrong with the picture))))
So you want to figure out where to start and thus to buy a watch first, and then to build your wardrobe around that watch?
I think it should go the other way around - you need to know who YOU ARE first - what style of clothing do you prefer ( colors, style,) and then to choose your watch accordingly, that it would fit in nicely with the rest, the color/shape/size including. THEN you can think about the brand)))

Old 03-14-2015, 06:41 PM

2,026 posts, read 334,224 times
I have a Fossil watch in rose gold, very pretty and very attractive!! I never feel like it's too much or too fancy.

http://www.fossil.com/webapp/wcs/sto...FWkS7AodrFoAmg

Fossil sells it for 135, but lucky for you, it's on sale for 94!! It's worth it, had it for a year or two now and no scratch or rust on it whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty